Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

8 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Went to the Crown in Pilton. One other table of people. That was it. I have more contact with people in Aldi each week. It was nice to feel the new normal and support my local, who we treasure very much.

must be pretty demoralising for the owners it being that quiet :(

How was the festival site last weekend? Many people about?

3 minutes ago, august1 said:

must be pretty demoralising for the owners it being that quiet :(

How was the festival site last weekend? Many people about?

The landladies were happy to be open for their loyal customers. They know it will take time for people to build up the confidence to visit again.

yes there were some idiots who couldn’t read the very large sign that asked them politely to stay away, but security on the farm saw to them. On the whole it was very quiet.

32 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Soho party!

This is what pisses me off. People, complete strangers, can spend daft amounts on alcohol and gather with no distancing at all and no police intervention, yet house/block parties get shut down by riot police. I understand the latter isn't taking place on a licensed premises but there's a hell of a lot less people than would be gathered in the city 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

im just waiting for you to report back ..... in a drunken manner .... so ive no idea if its safe or not ... but at least I know you have had a good evening :) 

Well you called that correctly :) ('cept I'm not that drunken. (Only stayed for two).

Cant speak for where you are obvs, but felt reasonably safe where I went this evening.

Phoned 'em up beforehand. "You open?". "Yep". "Do I need to book a table or anything?". "Nope, just sit down and we'll come and serve you".

Got there. Walked in. Was asked "Usual Ziggy?". Had to disinfect hands, sign a log book in and out, and had a temperature gun pointed at my forehead (which hadn't happened in the previous pub today). Gun didn't work as I "had just come in from outside", and apparently I was too cold for it to get a reading (always knew I was cool). Felt like bollocks to me as I'd sprint walked there from about twenty five minutes away and was sweating like a fat bloke in a sauna.

Despite the "just sit down and we'll come and serve you", advice, I again just stood a short distance from the bar and then paid (cash) as usual (twice).

There was the usual door but it had been marked "Entrance Only". It was still also the only exit that I could make out.

There were no more than about 15 or so people in there. A group of about half a dozen NHS workers (apparently. Most worrying aspect of the adventure for me personally). The couple who run the place, and, the reason I went out, a decent smattering of the old usual Saturday night crowd. So glad they were there. Made it worthwhile.

Spent the evening socially distanced at a table with one of them, with the occasional smoke outside with a couple of the rest. Really pissed off that I couldn't hug people. Was offered a "Shh, no one's looking", but had to point out that I thought I was a bit daft just being out anyway. Could've at least fist bumped and then sanitised I guess.

Jukebox was a bit loud and I caught myself nearly singing out loud to it, which is a no no. No hymns in church allowed atm.

Aww shucks you really called it didn't you @crazyfool1. You've still no idea from the above if it's safe or not have you. Am I that predictable or are you clairvoyant?

All I can advise is pick your pubs like your friends. Carefully. I deliberately didn't head downtown/Market Square/Seafrontwards as I thought if anywhere was going to get rowdy... Town seemed quiet as a whole really. Only slightly busy/loud place I passed was the local Liverpool fans base pub, and they had a good excuse.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So, being at work is weird.

I was meant to be at a festival with one of my best friends right now. But now that's canceled and my friend is gone.

And yet there's still arseholes going to the loo here and not washing their hands. I wish great suffering upon anyone that does it; they deserve the absolute worst .

how was it overall being back?

27 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Well you called that correctly :) ('cept I'm not that drunken. (Only stayed for two).

Cant speak for where you are obvs, but felt reasonably safe where I went this evening.

Phoned 'em up beforehand. "You open?". "Yep". "Do I need to book a table or anything?". "Nope, just sit down and we'll come and serve you".

Got there. Walked in. Was asked "Usual Ziggy?". Had to disinfect hands, sign a log book in and out, and had a temperature gun pointed at my forehead (which hadn't happened in the previous pub today). Gun didn't work as I "had just come in from outside", and apparently I was too cold for it to get a reading (always knew I was cool). Felt like bollocks to me as I'd sprint walked there from about twenty five minutes away and was sweating like a fat bloke in a sauna.

Despite the "just sit down and we'll come and serve you", advice, I again just stood a short distance from the bar and then paid (cash) as usual (twice).

There was the usual door but it had been marked "Entrance Only". It was still also the only exit that I could make out.

There were no more than about 15 or so people in there. A group of about half a dozen NHS workers (apparently. Most worrying aspect of the adventure for me personally). The couple who run the place, and, the reason I went out, a decent smattering of the old usual Saturday night crowd. So glad they were there. Made it worthwhile.

Spent the evening socially distanced at a table with one of them, with the occasional smoke outside with a couple of the rest. Really pissed off that I couldn't hug people. Was offered a "Shh, no one's looking", but had to point out that I thought I was a bit daft just being out anyway. Could've at least fist bumped and then sanitised I guess.

Jukebox was a bit loud and I caught myself nearly singing out loud to it, which is a no no. No hymns in church allowed atm.

Aww shucks you really called it didn't you @crazyfool1. You've still no idea from the above if it's safe or not have you. Am I that predictable or are you clairvoyant?

All I can advise is pick your pubs like your friends. Carefully. I deliberately didn't head downtown/Market Square/Seafrontwards as I thought if anywhere was going to get rowdy... Town seemed quiet as a whole really. Only slightly busy/loud place I passed was the local Liverpool fans base pub, and they had a good excuse.

Thanks for the update MrZigster (Ziggy!). After reading your last few posts, and like reading a good book, I felt that I was there with you - and maybe I was in some sort of vicarious way.

And no, no I'm not still off my head on acid, thank you for asking.

36 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for the update MrZigster (Ziggy!). After reading your last few posts, and like reading a good book, I felt that I was there with you - and maybe I was in some sort of vicarious way.

And no, no I'm not still off my head on acid, thank you for asking.

Cheers. Likewise I enjoy your, hmm, what's the phrase, train of thought posts on here.

I've always had issues with summarising.

As much as I would love to have the old Sunday sesh back, I can't in all conscience do it. Content to stay away as a bigger picture there and you kinda have to do what's morally right. I look forward to the day I go back but time isn't right

• Upvote 1

3 of us from 2 households Went for a booked pizza in manchester yesterday (ordering on an app is great) and then to one bar where you didnt need to have booked for one drink. This was all at lunchtime. It was nice to be back to normality, it was fairly quiet. Staff all wearing masks. QR codes take you to menus and both full table service. Aldi is a lot more dangerous.

pick your establishments well and book in advance where you can. Instagram or social media will tell you where is open and if you need to have booked or not.

Me and wife going for sunday roast and a pint today at the local. Pre booked. Need me a cask pint. Aldi will be a lot more dangerous.

if you want to go out, do (and be sensible). If youre not ready, fine. 

i am thrilled to have restaurants back to be honest. I love dining out and have got a couple of good places booked over next few weeks who i know are top drawer operators and will be looking after their customers.

Edited by Memory Man

12 hours ago, MrZigster said:

All I can advise is pick your pubs like your friends. Carefully.

Reckon that’s what I would do, for the moment a peaceful beer-garden or quiet country pub would be ok but busy city or town centre bars with large groups intent on getting pissed up would be avoided .  

Me and my girlfriend pre-booked a Sunday roast at our local for today, first visit to a pub for either of us since mid-March. 

expected it to be quite different with tables moved apart/masks etc but aside from some hand sanitiser at the bar it was as ‘normal’

Even the old boys who perch at the bar were sat there as ‘normal’ 

It wasn’t very busy (not much demand for Sunday roasts in July!) but we couldn’t get past the guys at the bar without getting quite close and no one seemed bothered to not allow them to do it. 

😕 

Edited by gooner1990

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Me and my girlfriend pre-booked a Sunday roast at our local for today, first visit to a pub for either of us since mid-March. 

expected it to be quite different with tables moved apart/masks etc but aside from some hand sanitiser at the bar it was as ‘normal’

Even the old boys who perch at the bar were sat there as ‘normal’ 

It wasn’t very busy (not much demand for Sunday roasts in July!) but we couldn’t get past the guys at the bar without getting quite close and no one seemed bothered to not allow them to do it. 

😕 

There's clearly very little policing of the requirements to be Covid-Secure.  Met a couple of friends in town this afternoon and had a socially distanced chat.  Told us about the pub across the road posting FB pics of the opening night, rammed to the gunnels, no distancing, lashed up folks spilling out onto the pavement.  Right on cue the landlady appears - herself also smashed.  We all make excuses and disperse.

Why do so many people think this is all over when, other than an element of the population potentially having an immunity, nothing else has changed since numbers were low at the beginning of March?

34 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

There's clearly very little policing of the requirements to be Covid-Secure.  Met a couple of friends in town this afternoon and had a socially distanced chat.  Told us about the pub across the road posting FB pics of the opening night, rammed to the gunnels, no distancing, lashed up folks spilling out onto the pavement.  Right on cue the landlady appears - herself also smashed.  We all make excuses and disperse.

Why do so many people think this is all over when, other than an element of the population potentially having an immunity, nothing else has changed since numbers were low at the beginning of March?

To be fair, a lot of old people have died, making the virus less deadly to the population as a whole.