Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

20 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

After a wander around town (Wells actually...) it's pretty obvious that most people have now pretty much given up on distancing and the 2m rule.  Mrs P and I were very much in the minority of people who try to avoid others 🙄

It drives me berserk when people make zero effort to not walk right next to you, even when there’s plenty of space, some of them seem to actively go out of their way to intercept you.

Looking at the polling, it seems the majority of people are actually a lot more cautious and fearful, so maybe they’re mainly staying at home, and it’s the twits who are disproportionately out and about making zero effort

46 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

After a wander around town (Wells actually...) it's pretty obvious that most people have now pretty much given up on distancing and the 2m rule.  Mrs P and I were very much in the minority of people who try to avoid others 🙄

I thought about coming to wells but was going to leave it another week or two! Is the market up and running okay I’m missing the fresh produce! 

5 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

I thought about coming to wells but was going to leave it another week or two! Is the market up and running okay I’m missing the fresh produce! 

Hi...yes the market was open.  We were there a little late so stalls were packing up but it had definitely been up and running.  There is a pedestrian one way system in High St too.  Left hand going up towards market and Cathedral, and opposite coming back down - the markers on the pavement have come away in the rain though so not everyone was sticking to it.  Pay & Display car park by the bus station is still free too.

• Like 1

Live in Colchester town centre, walked through town earlier and it was swarmed with the worst sort of people I could imagine opening up a pub for. Passed a group of 12 or so lads arguing with the manager of a Walkabout because they wanted to come in but hadn't booked. Imagine that's gonna be the case everywhere looking at how busy town was, no social distancing etc. Then passed another huge group that were arguing over where to try and head to that would let them in. 

This was all before 3pm. Yeah, think I'm good staying at home and supporting my local craft beer shop instead.

6 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Live in Colchester town centre, walked through town earlier and it was swarmed with the worst sort of people I could imagine opening up a pub for. Passed a group of 12 or so lads arguing with the manager of a Walkabout because they wanted to come in but hadn't booked. Imagine that's gonna be the case everywhere looking at how busy town was, no social distancing etc. Then passed another huge group that were arguing over where to try and head to that would let them in. 

This was all before 3pm. Yeah, think I'm good staying at home and supporting my local craft beer shop instead.

That's what I worry about all the dicks who think they can just turn up at any pub without checking what the restrictions are . 

19 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I've been saying I'm giving it at least a couple of months.

3 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Well, you appear to be very open to suggestion today Mr Hats. May I suggest that Muse are not actually that a bad a band? :ph34r:;)

Tbf I'm about to go out and have a potter and see what it's like out. Mainly to see if my barber's open and if he has a queue and is doing walk ins, or is it appointment only (I don't think any bloke I've ever known has ever had a barbers appointment).

Pretty sure I won't be going into any hostelries though. I don't own a smartphone so no app for me for a start. Also don't think I can trust people to maintain social distancing. I went to the supermarket yesterday and it was like it had all gone out the window. Couldn't wait to get out of the place.

Edit: And 'spoons food ain't that bad for what you pay. Really missed their meal deals during all of this personally. Steak and a pint for seven odd quid on a Tuesday. Get in.

And I broke.

Was walking past one of my regular haunts, it looked quiet, I held strong, passed it, did some shopping, walked back past the place, still quiet, pint of Strongbow and a seat outside with a fag then please.Haven't done that for over three months. Couldn't make out a word any of the barstaff were saying through their masks mind. Think they may have been telling me to sit at a certain table and wait for my drink, but I just waited a distance from the bar and then paid as normal.

The landlady informed me she was going to close at eight tonight, and had already had to bar a couple of people 'cause they didn't want to obey the rules. "If you don't like it, you don't have to come out". Indeed.

Did see a group of about a dozen young lads just wandering through the town carrying plastic pint pots, ignoring social distancing and catcalling out to passing young ladies. There was a group of blokes around my age where I had said pint behaving in exactly the same manner. (The usual suspects. Certainly haven't missed that crowd).Other than that no troubling behaviour witnessed.

Spoke to one of the local 'spoons managers on my way past. Was told that they were almost at capacity. I pointed out that I was only really passing and being polite. Had it pointed out to me that, as a single punter, it would be hard for them to find me a table. If I wanted to find a few mates and book a table in advance etc.... But that's never been my pub experience/the way I do pubs mate. I'm more of a - come out and see who's about - type of barfly. I've honestly only got one or two numbers of people I (used to) regularly see out and about. So that's a bit of a bastard personally then.

My barber's doing appointment only. Kind of glad about that as every other one I walked past today had a queue of at least half a dozen outside (and this was after 4pm). Couldn't book one though as I have no idea what I'm doing work wise next week yet.

Bought a box of Morrisons cider on the way home. Swore I was giving the booze at least a couple of weeks if not months after what I got through last weekend watching the festival on the beeb. I never get through that much when I'm actually there, as have to drive home/catch a coach early Monday.

Currently wolfing a pint of that down accompanied by a rib-eye steak with a couple of (perfectly cooked) eggs and waffles. Overdid the steak so just like 'spoons then, except I think this cost me around a fiver.

Now I'm tempted to pop out again later to another haunt to see if I can bump into people I haven't seen or spoken to in three months.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

That's what I worry about all the dicks who think they can just turn up at any pub without checking what the restrictions are . 

In fairness it sounds like town has been total anarchy, I'm not slap bang in the centre of town but I can still hear all the yelling and whatnot. Just had some young ladies having a screaming/slanging match outside my flat windows as well as hearing sirens going back and forwards into town.

Not saying people can't have their fun, but can genuinely hear massive groups of lads chanting as they're going up and down the hill, just doesn't seem to be a pleasant atmosphere at all.

To be honest Zigster, that is kind of my approach to a pint in the town i live.

I think its the reason i like the dog i have as they are quite aloof as a breed.  Don't get me wrong, i love company and getting on it with mates but managing to hold off on the pub temptation at the moment due to a family member about to go in for chemo and i need to be physically and mentally on point for that.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

To be honest Zigster, that is kind of my approach to a pint in the town i live.

I think its the reason i like the dog i have as they are quite aloof as a breed.  Don't get me wrong, i love company and getting on it with mates but managing to hold off on the pub temptation at the moment due to a family member about to go in for chemo and i need to be physically and mentally on point for that.

Thanks for that. To be honest Jay Pee, you've reminded me how good I've been through all of this,(literally only popping out for supplies), and that to suddenly get all gung ho just because of an arbitrary date/being a bit stir crazy may be a bit of a dick move/unnecessary risk taking.

I was deemed "at risk" and have an elderly relative at home after all.

But, as others have said, life has to get back to some kind of relative type of normal at some point. What to do?

Thought I might give said haunt a ring. Ask if they're open. What their system is. Do I have to book, and if so, are any of the usual Saturday night at the back of the room crowd likely to be there?

8 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

It's got worryingly quiet 'round these parts.

You've all gone to the pub haven't you.

:o:ph34r::pardon:

im just waiting for you to report back ..... in a drunken manner .... so ive no idea if its safe or not ... but at least I know you have had a good evening :) 

try looking at your local rather than city centres.. these guys have a hard time in normal situations .

They will do everything to keep you and staff safe and if that can't happen then there is absolutely no hope of any festival going ahead next year .

This takes time and  losing your home and business is not fun  so even if it's just a quick SD pint still worth supporting, if you go to the supermarket you are in no more danger supporting your local 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

There are only three occasions where drinking before midday is really acceptable:

Glastonbury

Airports

Christmas Day

Bollox lol... Every time its a wedding anniversary you need a bloody drink lololol I know I've been drinking every year for 30 years.. 

No pub for us