Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nope, but continued weekends might. If the brief history of this virus has proven anything then we should be in for a bit of a shitter in two to three weeks time when the case count starts climbing again. 

But I hope I’m wrong, and more power to those who are planning on having heavy ones this weekend.

In the brief history of this virus when has that happened though? 

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you want to go to Glastonbury? Then don't go to the pub. Not yet anyway.

That is all.

Edit: unless you work at one. We all gotta eat.

How much longer do you think the people that work in them will have jobs for, if nobody goes to them?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In the brief history of this virus when has that happened though? 

In America that’s exactly what happened. Granted we’ve no doubt taken it a bit more seriously with extra precautionary measures, but drunk people aren’t exactly known for their rule abiding ways.

Like I say, I hope I’m wrong, but it just seems like walking in to a minefield right now, especially with this country’s boozing culture which will no doubt result in places booming tonight (whether inside pubs or just sprawling crowded queues outside).

Absolutely no intention of visiting a pub this weekend, partly as drinking inside seems like being a soul-less experience now.

If we pass somewhere next weekend when the weather improves, with outside space, and that feels safe, then we may give it a go.  This weekend though, not a chance.

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

In America that’s exactly what happened. Granted we’ve no doubt taken it a bit more seriously with extra precautionary measures, but drunk people aren’t exactly known for their rule abiding ways.

Like I say, I hope I’m wrong, but it just seems like walking in to a minefield right now, especially with this country’s boozing culture which will no doubt result in places booming tonight (whether inside pubs or just sprawling crowded queues outside).

I know first hand of a group of girls which got up at 6am this morning, got dolled up, they’ve booked bottomless brunch and a pub session afterwards. Group of about 16/17 of them. I’ve seen their social media posts, most of them are legless already

Obviously in normal times this sounds like great fun but it does make you wonder how many others are going to be the same and what the scenes are going to be like tonight.

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I know first hand of a group of girls which got up at 6am this morning, got dolled up, they’ve booked bottomless brunch and a pub session afterwards. Group of about 16/17 of them. I’ve seen their social media posts, most of them are legless already

Obviously in normal times this sounds like great fun but it does make you wonder how many others are going to be the same and what the scenes are going to be like tonight.

and why not? They've been in kickdown for 3.5 months. 

I won't judge or criticise people for doing what they're allowed to, however if you turn up to a beach, there's already 10,000 people there and you still press on and squeeze in to a tiny spot, you're a fucking moron.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In the US what were case numbers like when bars started reopening? Were they a lot higher than ours now?

Didn’t they just reopen everything without keeping restrictions though? Went from 0 to 100 straight away. The UK’s reopening seems far more cautious.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I won't judge or criticise people for doing what they're allowed to, however if you turn up to a beach, there's already 10,000 people there and you still press on and squeeze in to a tiny spot, you're a fucking moron.

Similarly if you go to the pub today then good on you go for it, if the pub in question is heaving and social distancing has gone out the window when folk have had a few drinks then you should probably give it a miss.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Similarly if you go to the pub today then good on you go for it, if the pub in question is heaving and social distancing has gone out the window when folk have had a few drinks then you should probably give it a miss.

You’d imagine that landlords and staff will be policing this. 

From what I’ve been told there will be spot checks to make sure pubs are abiding by the rules.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Didn’t they just reopen everything without keeping restrictions though? Went from 0 to 100 straight away. The UK’s reopening seems far more cautious.

I'm not sure to be honest. It differed from state to state as far as I can see. But I don't think they had numbers down much at all before reopening so I don't think they are a great comparison. Which country is though, who knows.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

No big spikes in Spain or Italy Post bars reopening.  Though I don't think that's the best comparison as cases are lower 

Those places locked down - we did not. It's a tough one as obviously everywhere has taken a different approach and I'm not sure where (if anywhere) took the seemingly random approach of closing and then opening things back up one by one without much reason that we did here. It's very much a case of 'open things and hope for the best' and putting a lot of faith in the public to abide by the rules. In that respect, I feel very bad for bar staff having to try and enforce this kind of stuff to groups who've been on it since 6am. We're not exactly known for our courteousness after a full day on the sauce.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

No big spikes in Spain or Italy Post bars reopening.  Though I don't think that's the best comparison as cases are lower 

Yeah it is actually hard to think of a country in a similar position to us as most had either much lower or much higher numbers when opening. So we are in uncharted territory I guess.

You can’t compare America. A vast country with massive differences between when the virus took hold on different places, yet with each place having a completely different approach to lockdown, and not one single state having as stricter lockdown as is as an entire nation.

Natuonally our infection rate is constantly dropping with the exception of one place, where we’ve extended lockdown anyway.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Those places locked down - we did not. It's a tough one as obviously everywhere has taken a different approach and I'm not sure where (if anywhere) took the seemingly random approach of closing and then opening things back up one by one without much reason that we did here. It's very much a case of 'open things and hope for the best' and putting a lot of faith in the public to abide by the rules. In that respect, I feel very bad for bar staff having to try and enforce this kind of stuff to groups who've been on it since 6am. We're not exactly known for our courteousness after a full day on the sauce.

We did lockdown as far as I remember. Those places also relaxed their measures a lot sooner than we did relative on the timeline. Their bars have been open for 6 weeks yet we were only two weeks behind them in terms of our peak. It’s also worth looking into how Spain changed how they reported deaths and infections so they could completely hide the figures, and get everything open as soon as possible. Still no spikes though.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I do really want to go for a pint however I’m not desperate enough to stand outside in the rain queuing up to get into one. I’ve waited a few months so a couple more weeks won’t make a difference. 

5BBFD647-98D8-4628-8300-F1D48B7DD93F.thumb.jpeg.30910b9caa6f2237a4256f29de2bfb94.jpeg

That picture just strikes me as very sad and desperate.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We did lockdown as far as I remember. Those places also relaxed their measures a lot sooner than we did relative in the scale. Their bars have been open for 6 weeks yet we were only two weeks behind them in terms of our peak. It’s also worth looking into how Spain changes how they reported deaths and infections so they could completely hide the figures and get everything open as soon as possible. Still no spikes though.

Their lockdowns of 'everybody stay in or you'll be arrested' were pretty different to our 'stay in if you fancy it' approach. I'm not gonna lie and say I'm as clued up on all of this as some others probably are, but it just seems like pubs of all things opening this early is a silly, and unfortunately very British mistake to make.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in a bar at around 11pm tonight with bar staff trying to explain to the couple necking furiously in the corner that it isn't allowed whilst a mass brawl happens on the other side of the bar because somebody's sitting in somebody else's reserved seat.