2020 Halftime

Mattymooz

Now that we are over half way through the year, what have people thought about 2020 in terms of music?

Personally, I have relied on music heavily the past few months, and luckily there has been some great new shit coming out. At least for me, its been one of the strongest years in a while for me - pop music in particular has killed it.

Anyways, here is my topster for the first half of the year for anyone who is interested, feel free to share yours below too

1227279181_topsters2(4).thumb.png.290cff918cae99937ff16d84f36da920.png

On 7/3/2020 at 9:12 AM, Mattymooz said:

Now that we are over half way through the year, what have people thought about 2020 in terms of music?

Personally, I have relied on music heavily the past few months, and luckily there has been some great new shit coming out. At least for me, its been one of the strongest years in a while for me - pop music in particular has killed it.

Anyways, here is my topster for the first half of the year for anyone who is interested, feel free to share yours below too

1227279181_topsters2(4).thumb.png.290cff918cae99937ff16d84f36da920.png

How does one do this? 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Due to a mixture of children at home never giving me any time and lockdown meaning I no longer commute I’ve barely listened to anything new this year.

Couldn’t pick an AOTY if I wanted to.

Don’t have kids, but with you totally on the lack of commute. Been a struggle to keep up with new releases wfh and work’s been so busy I’ve tended to default to the familiar.

HAIM seem comfortably top of the list from what I have listened to though.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Due to a mixture of children at home never giving me any time and lockdown meaning I no longer commute I’ve barely listened to anything new this year.

Couldn’t pick an AOTY if I wanted to.

Yep I’ve lost 10 hours per week of solid listening time.

Hard to have RTJ4 on in the house with a 4-year-old who is rapidly picking up new words!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Think that the second half of the year will be a deluge of big names. A number of key albums got pushed back, some stars (Kendrick) will have stalled rollouts and waited for the pandemic to shake out a little, we could even get some timely responses to the moment like we had in 2016 – a truly classic year when you look at it.

Feeling good about what's to come, while being also very satisfied with a high calibre of more obscure stuff so far.

God help us if thats the case, i thought 2019 was a good year but this year is smashing even that for me.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Used to love them when I was younger but can’t say I’ve heard anything of theirs in a long time. Will check it out.

It's their best work since Kezia for me. Took me a couple of listens to love it, been on repeat for 2 weeks now. Highlights are From the Sky, All Hands, Soliloquy, Rivet

A few of us briefly talked about this in the New Music thread (albeit there it was more tracks than albums), I'll say here what I said there in that my lists at the moment are in no-particular-order, but will be ordered in preference by the time December rolls around. Anyway here's 20 albums;

And here's the tracks playlist I shared in the other thread if anyone wants to have a listen; 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2jzOZlORBqBzZJG9f4ZoLs?si=vahX12YzQwKqVL5RBHS09g

topsters3.jpg

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

Here we go, this'll do me for now.  There's a couple in there that I'm pretty confident will get knocked out as more comes out this year, but happy with it for now!

EDIT - just had to make an update, realised I'd missed out the Yumi Zouma album. Unfortunately that means that Pearl Jam have dropped off the list.

125321926_topsters2(1).thumb.jpg.5a5cd4035bed6513c033b30d5cbd8dfc.jpg

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

On 7/4/2020 at 11:56 PM, a6l6e6x said:

1149723236_Screenshot2020-07-04at23_54_04.png.032028072ca20bc9683f9b5b7b94878e.png

Protest the Hero absolutely running away with AOTY (admittedly I am a fanboy)

Interesting. Used to enjoy them quite a bit in my younger days when I was heavily in to that scene but completely stopped keeping up. I played guitar in a couple bands that were unashamedly trying to rip off those types of acts! I’ll give the new record a listen - thanks for the tip.

33 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Need to start getting on the albums mentioned on this thread. Think the Strokes is the only one I’ve listened to, and I’ve only heard that once.

That nearly made it in for me, was most pleasantly surprised. Got a few in this thread that weren't even on my radar, let alone in the listening pile, so going to add those.

It's been a great year so far. The standouts for me are:

• Beatrice Dillon - Workaround
  • Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
  • Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
  • Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
  • Owen Pallett - Island
  • Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

Plus good records by RTJ, Destroyer, Four Tet... Need to revisit AAL, Nico Jaar, Neil Young, Armand Hammer, Happyness, Moses Sumney...

Looking up to be a really solid end of year list eh.