2020 Halftime

Mattymooz

6 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

i haven't listened to much so far this year.  the car journey to work has been a lot shorter lately.

topsters2.jpg

Georgia was sooo close to making my list. If the second half of the album hadn't dropped off from the opening she'd have been there.

Good reminder on the Heart Bones album though, loved Don't Read The Comments and then completely forgot to keep an eye open for the album

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good reminder on the Heart Bones album though, loved Don't Read The Comments and then completely forgot to keep an eye open for the album

i did really enjoy it.  some very fun tracks on it. 

Nobody's mentioned Nadine Shah's new album yet? Am I alone in liking it? I've got a lot to catch up on but Big Moon, Fiona Apple, Hinds, Jessie Ware, Haim, Laura Marling, Dream Wife yep the ladies are smashing it out of the park this year!! 

46 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Nobody's mentioned Nadine Shah's new album yet? Am I alone in liking it? I've got a lot to catch up on but Big Moon, Fiona Apple, Hinds, Jessie Ware, Haim, Laura Marling, Dream Wife yep the ladies are smashing it out of the park this year!! 

Just downloaded Nadine Shah’s so will give it a spin and report back 

The good news is I'm not the only one who like Nadine Shah

https://thequietus.com/articles/28423-quietus-albums-of-the-year-so-far-2020

The bad news is I haven't even heard of half of the albums they picked. Is it just me or does anyone else ever feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to just keep up with the content that is being created. Between Music, books, tv, films and podcasts I feel like I will never catch up!!

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just hadn't had a chance to listen to it, was only out 4 days before the end of June! :D

Feels like it's been out ages because it was meant to be early June and 6 Music have been playing the singles from it for so long. Also, she played a few at the 6 Music Festival before lockdown so by the time I listened to it it felt like an old friend! 

On 7/7/2020 at 10:28 AM, gigpusher said:

The bad news is I haven't even heard of half of the albums they picked. Is it just me or does anyone else ever feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to just keep up with the content that is being created. Between Music, books, tv, films and podcasts I feel like I will never catch up!!

Nobody keeps up with the Quietus. They’re on a different level over there.

Regarding there not being enough hours in the day, there isn’t. I think it gets forgotten that the lists done by publications rely on 10+ people whose job it is to listen to music studiously and their opinions go towards a collaborative effort. You can’t be superhuman and watch, listen, read everything to have an opinion on all things - imo you just gotta try figure out what you like and gorge yourself on it.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Regarding there not being enough hours in the day, there isn’t. I think it gets forgotten that the lists done by publications rely on 10+ people whose job it is to listen to music studiously and their opinions go towards a collaborative effort. You can’t be superhuman and watch, listen, read everything to have an opinion on all things - imo you just gotta try figure out what you like and gorge yourself on it.

Yeah I just mean in general though even those who are most active on the 2020 music thread I think are phenomenal. People are constantly telling me something I should read/watch/listen to and I have now almost resigned myself to being forever behind the curve which I kind of like I'm hoping it means that I'm effectively going through a partial quality control process before I ever have to worry about it but by the same token there's a feeling that I'll never catch up. I feel like work wastes an awful lot of time whilst of course being a necessary evil to enable me to pay for my vinyl, books, gigs etc.  

Yeah, think I overestimated the amount I had listened to this year - got a lot of new recommendations from this thread to get through (luckily it looks like we got a couple of slower weeks coming up for new releases thank god).

I listened to R.A.P. Ferreira's album yesterday which was fantastic, good shout @Guy Incognito. Also really enjoyed the Nathan Fake record whoever suggested that!

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2020 at 10:28 AM, gigpusher said:

On 7/10/2020 at 9:48 PM, dentalplan said:

Not really familiar with them so had a look at the Quietus list.

I promptly shut my laptop and didn't open it again for 3 days.  I think I'd only even heard OF a single figure number of those albums, let alone listened to.

I think that should be where people get pointed when the efests collective gets accused of being overly snobbish about music.

• Like 1

I was asked to pick one album by a website I contribute to (TheRockClubUK).  This is my album of the year so far.  I saw David at Glastonbury on a tiny stage in Bread & Roses, doing his best not to be drowned out by Miley Cyrus and putting on an admirable show for a small but very appreciative crowd.

David Keenan - 'A Beginner's Guide To Bravery'

David Keenan is a singer/songwriter from Dundalk. He left home at 17 and, inspired by a love for the music of the La's, went to Liverpool. “I felt I could be somebody there, live off my wits on the streets”.

He busked and gained confidence. Now based in Dublin, David sold out the Olympia Theatre back in January, in the week his debut album 'A Beginner's Guide To Bravery' came out.

It is a big album. 57 minutes in total, with several songs of over seven minutes long. It brings to mind 'Astral Weeks', the singing of Liam Ó Maonlaí, the sound of early Waterboys albums. David's songs are totally original.

I have only had this album in my possession since lockdown finished. My favourites for now are 'Unholy Ghosts', 'Evidence Of Living' and the amazing 'Subliminal Dublinia', with which he closed his show at the Olympia.

Edited by Watergirl

5 hours ago, Quark said:

Not really familiar with them so had a look at the Quietus list.

I promptly shut my laptop and didn't open it again for 3 days.  I think I'd only even heard OF a single figure number of those albums, let alone listened to.

I think that should be where people get pointed when the efests collective gets accused of being overly snobbish about music.

Yep they do seem on a different level for sure!

On 7/7/2020 at 7:14 PM, cdm22 said:

Top 3 at the moment for me so far this year are:

Indian Queens - God is a Woman

Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

bdrmm - Bedroom

with honorable mention to:

Jehnny Beth - To love is to live

Ok, Phoebe Bridgers' Punisher is now on the list 👍

• 2 weeks later...