Next year Exams clash ?

Mark0

My daughter takes her GCSE's next year and reports are indicating that the exams will be moved to mid June clashing with Glasto, after missing out this year and being relieved our tickets will be tied over for next year she's pretty much devastated that she may well miss out again. Was wondering what people feelings were about this ?

I also see that the Isle Of Wight festival finishes 3 days before Glastonbury next year 

As for us it goes without saying my daughters exams come first but being her first Glastonbury and thinking we were ok when they tied the tickets over it feels a bit of a kick in the teeth to lose out again , but there you go 

Hiya Mark, 

I sat my GCSE’s in 2017. I missed the One Love concert in Manchester due to exams and that was the 4th June 2017 and after that I only had a few exams left so a week later, I reckon all will be good. I got my exam timetable a few months prior so you may be able to check prior to paying and I bet teachers will know near Christmas the plans for the examinations. I guarantee you’ll be fine as Glasto time is quite late for exams. My mates brother finished the Friday of Download 2019 which was 14th June. I reckon it’ll be the same as if they can’t do it a week before it won’t be happening at all.

Hope this raises spirits somehow, may be a bit waffly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Hiya Mark, 

I sat my GCSE’s in 2017. I missed the One Love concert in Manchester due to exams and that was the 4th June 2017 and after that I only had a few exams left so a week later, I reckon all will be good. I got my exam timetable a few months prior so you may be able to check prior to paying and I bet teachers will know near Christmas the plans for the examinations. I guarantee you’ll be fine as Glasto time is quite late for exams. My mates brother finished the Friday of Download 2019 which was 14th June. I reckon it’ll be the same as if they can’t do it a week before it won’t be happening at all.

Hope this raises spirits somehow, may be a bit waffly. 

Fingers crossed , I feel a little more confident now lol 

9 hours ago, Mark0 said:

My daughter takes her GCSE's next year and reports are indicating that the exams will be moved to mid June clashing with Glasto, after missing out this year and being relieved our tickets will be tied over for next year she's pretty much devastated that she may well miss out again. Was wondering what people feelings were about this ?

I'd say hold tight for a bit, for all you know her last exam could be on the Tuesday and what a way to celebrate straight after if that's the case!

If not, there will be other Glastos and there are other festivals to go to next summer :) 

Even if they are later there's no guarantee that the subjects she is doing will be on the days of the festival so keep fingers crossed for now and hopefully you can make an informed decision nearer the time. There's always the option of just going for the weekend but that may depend on where you live etc as to whether that's practical. 

I think the exams will move - I work in Education and my wife is also a secondary teacher - all the suggestion suggests mid to late June / early July. 

I think just wait the Ofqual guidance and see what it says next month. 

I still think it's doable though, exam time tables might be kind and even if theyre not there is options around it. I had a shortened Glastonbury last year, whilst it wasn't ideal it was still Glastonbury. I'm ticketless and would take some Glastonbury over none at all!

Good luck, I hope it works out.

I missed my first two chances of going (2007 & 2008) due to exams so I know this pain. All I'll say is I semi regret one but not the other:

- The one I semi regret was an additional GCSE that I did (ie. not core). When I got to sixth form I discovered I'd done 13 or something compared to a lot of people's 8/9.

- The other one was a more necessary AS so can't complain there. 

Thing is I'm 29 now and in a good job that I wouldn't have without the education I got. So was probably for the best. 

Either way, just see what happens and how the exams fall. You could always try to get here a lift (or drive and get her yourself) on the Friday if needs must. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Set up an exam tent, should be enough teachers and ex teachers willing to do a shift  as invigilators! 

Seriously, get the exams sat and hopefully do the Saturday and Sunday if poss 

I'll run the tuition tent... 

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Set up an exam tent, should be enough teachers and ex teachers willing to do a shift  as invigilators! 

Wack it in the south east corner, can play it as an art installation in the night (I've gurned through weirder things there)

• 4 months later...

We have exactly that issue now dates do clash. This is the first time we’ve been able to get tickets. GCSEs now clash so do we cancel tickets January, we would be even more gutted if we cancelled then it got moved again. Was hoping given the circumstances there may be exceptions to be able to roll forwards, perhaps start a mini campaign to Emily Eavis for that option??

2 hours ago, Jo Hamilton said:

We have exactly that issue now dates do clash. This is the first time we’ve been able to get tickets. GCSEs now clash so do we cancel tickets January, we would be even more gutted if we cancelled then it got moved again. Was hoping given the circumstances there may be exceptions to be able to roll forwards, perhaps start a mini campaign to Emily Eavis for that option??

I wouldn’t do anything yet. We don’t know for certain that the festival is even going ahead next year. Wait until there is official confirmation and balances are due then decide would be my advice.

3 hours ago, Jo Hamilton said:

Have the timetables been released yet? 

I'd wait until they are then you know for certain what the clashes are. You might get lucky with the timetable and not have anything after the Wednesday.

As someone said above, absolute worst case you travel down on the Friday. Can you send someone earlier to set up camp?

8 hours ago, Jo Hamilton said:

Do nothing yet until everything is confirmed. Even then what about just arriving late Friday?  Does the exam finish am or pm? Half a Glastonbury is better than none! Check out the quieter campsites before you travel. In the past  I’ve seen folk arrive on the Friday, late in the evening .  

Edited by Ayrshire Chris