Jump to content

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?


Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?   

250 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

    • Yes, and it will be business as usual.
      19
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
      128
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks).
      30
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
      27
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
      9
    • No, for another reason.
      3
    • I can't even guess.
      34


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Any idea that means more wealthy people can have more access to the festival has surely got to be a non starter.

I mean at £265 ticket, probably at least £500 all in for a Glastonbury weekend I'd say the festival is already restricted to relatively wealthy people. 

Average wage without tax is about £500, if you can afford to spend a weeks pay on a festival you're wealthy.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/averageweeklyearningsingreatbritain/june2020

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately it's true. As is your comment about the average Brit. There are too many people around who think corona won't affect them but those who've been in the thick of it know better. At th

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

We're not doing this "pessimism means you don't deserve to go" bollocks again are we? 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, K2SO said:

If it doesn't go ahead at all, I think we can wave goodbye to any sort of life we knew before.

I'm always keeping positive but I'm inclined to agree, if we're not back to a form of normality this time next year then it's going to be a massively different world and as you say, everything simply won't function if we have to have constant lock downs - saying that though, things do seem to be heading in the right direction so I think with a few changes and adjustments most events will be able to carry on next year 

5 hours ago, K2SO said:

I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to live in a world without the arts.

Im worried about it too but supposedly they're making a big announcement for it next week as part of the budget so hopefully something can be saved from it, I couldn't even consider a world without the arts, especially music and comedy which I regularly attended gigs for 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, K2SO said:

I voted yes, with adjustments.

If it doesn't go ahead at all, I think we can wave goodbye to any sort of life we knew before.

If this virus is still this violent in a year, we're looking at probably over 100k people in this country dead, as well as businesses of all sorts going bust, not just festivals. The only businesses still alive will be the supermarkets and Amazon.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to live in a world without the arts.

Glastonbury could not go ahead next year but without  having reached 100k deaths. Cases and deaths are extremely low right now, but that’s because of social distancing and because things like Glastonbury aren’t happening. We could stay in this state until there is a vaccine and It’s clear that what we’re doing now can help us keep on top of the virus.

This might sound a callous thing to say but it’s not meant to be, but if this time next year we’ve had 100k deaths I’d say that it’s more likely Glastonbury will actually go ahead, because with that many deaths the Government will have had to have abandoned any restrictions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I mean at £265 ticket, probably at least £500 all in for a Glastonbury weekend I'd say the festival is already restricted to relatively wealthy people. 

Average wage without tax is about £500, if you can afford to spend a weeks pay on a festival you're wealthy.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/averageweeklyearningsingreatbritain/june2020

Yeah agreed completely. It's on the cusp of justifying the affordability to me right now and I have a decent job. That's kind of why I'd hate it to go even more in that direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn’t see them doing an advance ticket thing and I don’t think they should. As much as I want to go every year they have the right idea in wanting it to be fair and open to everyone.

What would be something perhaps more palatable would along the lines of what a lot of other festivals have done to raise cash, which is sell in-festival benefits. Back stage access, meeting artists, unlimited bar tabs etc. It’s still a bit w*nky but a lot better than selling off future tickets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Couldn’t see them doing an advance ticket thing and I don’t think they should. As much as I want to go every year they have the right idea in wanting it to be fair and open to everyone.

What would be something perhaps more palatable would along the lines of what a lot of other festivals have done to raise cash, which is sell in-festival benefits. Back stage access, meeting artists, unlimited bar tabs etc. It’s still a bit w*nky but a lot better than selling off future tickets.

I'd be much happier to make a donation than buy some sort of access to tickets. Doesn't sit right with me at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Nal said:

I think its fairly simple. No vaccine, no festival. 

that's a possibility for next year, although there might never be a vaccine but there will be festivals again. 

So the question then becomes about when the govt decide to just let things go, and for the population to live with covid just as we live with flu.

While I disagree with many things Spaffer has done around covid, he might yet turn out to be the one who gets it most-right, if there's never a vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Couldn’t see them doing an advance ticket thing and I don’t think they should. As much as I want to go every year they have the right idea in wanting it to be fair and open to everyone.

What would be something perhaps more palatable would along the lines of what a lot of other festivals have done to raise cash, which is sell in-festival benefits. Back stage access, meeting artists, unlimited bar tabs etc. It’s still a bit w*nky but a lot better than selling off future tickets.

That and more places at Worthy View and other off site camping. 
 

Easy up sells.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure there will be *a* Glastonbury next year. By that point, every industry will have adapted to the conditions. To what extent it resembles the norm will depend on what’s happening with the pandemic at that point.

 

 

I will say, though, the doomsdayers who say nothing can go ahead without a vaccine need to understand that there’s a 50/50 chance that there will NEVER be a vaccine, and we can’t just do social distancing forever. At some point they’re going to have to just let the virus pass through the population in as safe a way as possible until it either burns out (through everyone who is infectious managing to stay indoors), a mutation into something more resembling the common cold, or herd immunity is achieved. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m pretty sure there will be *a* Glastonbury next year. By that point, every industry will have adapted to the conditions. To what extent it resembles the norm will depend on what’s happening with the pandemic at that point.

 

 

I will say, though, the doomsdayers who say nothing can go ahead without a vaccine need to understand that there’s a 50/50 chance that there will NEVER be a vaccine, and we can’t just do social distancing forever. At some point they’re going to have to just let the virus pass through the population in as safe a way as possible until it either burns out (through everyone who is infectious managing to stay indoors), a mutation into something more resembling the common cold, or herd immunity is achieved. 

I don't think this is true, where have you got the 50:50 chance statistic from? Last I heard there are around 120 different vaccines being worked on, with 10 actually in active clinical trials. In an interview I saw a couple of days ago from the guy leading the Imperial College he said "The success rate of vaccines at this stage of development is 10%, and there are already probably 10 vaccines in clinical trials, “so that means we will definitely have one”.

Obviously we don't know for certain this will work and I know it doesn't actually follow statistically that if you have 10 vaccines with each one having a 10% chance of success, that you have 100% certainty one will work, but I would argue the odds are a lot more favourable than 50/50 that we will eventually find a vaccine. It's much more likely a question of when rather than if for me regarding finding a successful vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 5:33 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

I suspect that might be an American thing, at least with non-mask wearers being annoyed at mask wearers.

I’m in NYC so it’s not like there’s Trump supporters not wearing masks with rifles or something, it’s just lots of different people with different priorities trying to (mostly) follow these directives as best they can (and often failing because there’s so many of us), but there’s still a tension to that. For an example of the tension I am concerned about Glastonbury having If it goes forward with impossible-to-follow concepts like masks (constant eating and drinking) and social distancing (not feasible or natural considering the pop density of a festival) - for an example of that look no further than the 8 page long thread you started called “Don’t go to the pub,” with people photographing people and shaming them, moral judgements passed on those at the pub, struggles about whether it’s ethical or not and when and how it is if so... I’m maybe a little over-sensitive to tension but that’s the kind of agitating thing I’m talking about.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, assorted said:

I’m in NYC so it’s not like there’s Trump supporters not wearing masks with rifles or something, it’s just lots of different people with different priorities trying to (mostly) follow these directives as best they can (and often failing because there’s so many of us), but there’s still a tension to that. For an example of the tension I am concerned about Glastonbury having If it goes forward with impossible-to-follow concepts like masks (constant eating and drinking) and social distancing (not feasible or natural considering the pop density of a festival) - for an example of that look no further than the 8 page long thread you started called “Don’t go to the pub,” with people photographing people and shaming them, moral judgements passed on those at the pub, struggles about whether it’s ethical or not and when and how it is if so... I’m maybe a little over-sensitive to tension but that’s the kind of agitating thing I’m talking about.  

If Glastonbury goes ahead (which I think it will) I don't see masks being mandatory or possibly even being suggested, and I really can't imagine a scenario of people shaming others for not abiding by the 'rules'. It's a festival, where hygiene is largely thrown out of the window for five days straight. There'll no doubt be extra precautions in place like hopefully a lot more hand sanitiser dotted around and I imagine more frequent wash downs of the toilets etc, but people going to a place where being sardined together with other people is the norm and then complaining about mask wearing or social distancing doesn't seem realistic to me. If somebody's really that concerned by that point then they just shouldn't go. If you want to wear a mask, go for it, but if not, nobody's gonna post your picture all over the internet shaming you. I'm sure there'll still be an air of uncertainty surrounding the place, but by that point I'm sure most will be willing to put it aside and  hope for the best rather than spending the entire weekend worrying. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that essentially we have 9 months to go until d day in March, 9 months ago we had never heard of COVID and it only became a problem here in February and look how far we have come since then. 
 

im sure Glastonbury will be applying additional measures such as hand washing, mass testing and face masks to minimise risk exposure. I also think by then we will have made great progress on the vaccine front and have identified treatments which have a significant impact on the disease.  I’m really in the yes camp that it will go ahead because only 4 months ago my hometown was filled with 300,000 race spectators. Things change very quickly and I just can’t see us not having made significant strides to tackle rigs virus by next March 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that you mention the race season. 
 

The Jockey Club directors are very closely tied to our leadership. They will want people at the tracks as soon as possible spending money that will be directly filling their pockets. The government won’t be able to ban festivals but allow race meetings to go ahead. I have a lot of confidence that next years festival season will be going ahead. There will almost certainly be some changes to aid hygiene. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Interesting that you mention the race season. 
 

The Jockey Club directors are very closely tied to our leadership. They will want people at the tracks as soon as possible spending money that will be directly filling their pockets. The government won’t be able to ban festivals but allow race meetings to go ahead. I have a lot of confidence that next years festival season will be going ahead. There will almost certainly be some changes to aid hygiene. 

Exactly, talking to a close family member who is a director at Cheltenham borough council, the council tried to halt the event going ahead. However the government over ruled them and allowed it to happen, surely a sign that the government considers it important enough to go above a council! Lots of positive signs for me! Glasto 2021 is gonna be amazing! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you want think they could... ( or any other BIG festival ) afford 2 years of.. There's gonna be a lot of little festivals going on the wall.. 

It's FUBAR old sons 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...