Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?   

250 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

21 hours ago, The Nal said:

I think its fairly simple. No vaccine, no festival. 

that's a possibility for next year, although there might never be a vaccine but there will be festivals again. 

So the question then becomes about when the govt decide to just let things go, and for the population to live with covid just as we live with flu.

While I disagree with many things Spaffer has done around covid, he might yet turn out to be the one who gets it most-right, if there's never a vaccine.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Couldn’t see them doing an advance ticket thing and I don’t think they should. As much as I want to go every year they have the right idea in wanting it to be fair and open to everyone.

What would be something perhaps more palatable would along the lines of what a lot of other festivals have done to raise cash, which is sell in-festival benefits. Back stage access, meeting artists, unlimited bar tabs etc. It’s still a bit w*nky but a lot better than selling off future tickets.

That and more places at Worthy View and other off site camping. 

Easy up sells.

I’m pretty sure there will be *a* Glastonbury next year. By that point, every industry will have adapted to the conditions. To what extent it resembles the norm will depend on what’s happening with the pandemic at that point.

I will say, though, the doomsdayers who say nothing can go ahead without a vaccine need to understand that there’s a 50/50 chance that there will NEVER be a vaccine, and we can’t just do social distancing forever. At some point they’re going to have to just let the virus pass through the population in as safe a way as possible until it either burns out (through everyone who is infectious managing to stay indoors), a mutation into something more resembling the common cold, or herd immunity is achieved. 

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m pretty sure there will be *a* Glastonbury next year. By that point, every industry will have adapted to the conditions. To what extent it resembles the norm will depend on what’s happening with the pandemic at that point.

I will say, though, the doomsdayers who say nothing can go ahead without a vaccine need to understand that there’s a 50/50 chance that there will NEVER be a vaccine, and we can’t just do social distancing forever. At some point they’re going to have to just let the virus pass through the population in as safe a way as possible until it either burns out (through everyone who is infectious managing to stay indoors), a mutation into something more resembling the common cold, or herd immunity is achieved. 

I don't think this is true, where have you got the 50:50 chance statistic from? Last I heard there are around 120 different vaccines being worked on, with 10 actually in active clinical trials. In an interview I saw a couple of days ago from the guy leading the Imperial College he said "The success rate of vaccines at this stage of development is 10%, and there are already probably 10 vaccines in clinical trials, “so that means we will definitely have one”.

Obviously we don't know for certain this will work and I know it doesn't actually follow statistically that if you have 10 vaccines with each one having a 10% chance of success, that you have 100% certainty one will work, but I would argue the odds are a lot more favourable than 50/50 that we will eventually find a vaccine. It's much more likely a question of when rather than if for me regarding finding a successful vaccine.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:33 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

I suspect that might be an American thing, at least with non-mask wearers being annoyed at mask wearers.

I’m in NYC so it’s not like there’s Trump supporters not wearing masks with rifles or something, it’s just lots of different people with different priorities trying to (mostly) follow these directives as best they can (and often failing because there’s so many of us), but there’s still a tension to that. For an example of the tension I am concerned about Glastonbury having If it goes forward with impossible-to-follow concepts like masks (constant eating and drinking) and social distancing (not feasible or natural considering the pop density of a festival) - for an example of that look no further than the 8 page long thread you started called “Don’t go to the pub,” with people photographing people and shaming them, moral judgements passed on those at the pub, struggles about whether it’s ethical or not and when and how it is if so... I’m maybe a little over-sensitive to tension but that’s the kind of agitating thing I’m talking about.  

10 minutes ago, assorted said:

I’m in NYC so it’s not like there’s Trump supporters not wearing masks with rifles or something, it’s just lots of different people with different priorities trying to (mostly) follow these directives as best they can (and often failing because there’s so many of us), but there’s still a tension to that. For an example of the tension I am concerned about Glastonbury having If it goes forward with impossible-to-follow concepts like masks (constant eating and drinking) and social distancing (not feasible or natural considering the pop density of a festival) - for an example of that look no further than the 8 page long thread you started called “Don’t go to the pub,” with people photographing people and shaming them, moral judgements passed on those at the pub, struggles about whether it’s ethical or not and when and how it is if so... I’m maybe a little over-sensitive to tension but that’s the kind of agitating thing I’m talking about.  

If Glastonbury goes ahead (which I think it will) I don't see masks being mandatory or possibly even being suggested, and I really can't imagine a scenario of people shaming others for not abiding by the 'rules'. It's a festival, where hygiene is largely thrown out of the window for five days straight. There'll no doubt be extra precautions in place like hopefully a lot more hand sanitiser dotted around and I imagine more frequent wash downs of the toilets etc, but people going to a place where being sardined together with other people is the norm and then complaining about mask wearing or social distancing doesn't seem realistic to me. If somebody's really that concerned by that point then they just shouldn't go. If you want to wear a mask, go for it, but if not, nobody's gonna post your picture all over the internet shaming you. I'm sure there'll still be an air of uncertainty surrounding the place, but by that point I'm sure most will be willing to put it aside and  hope for the best rather than spending the entire weekend worrying. 

• Like 1

I think that essentially we have 9 months to go until d day in March, 9 months ago we had never heard of COVID and it only became a problem here in February and look how far we have come since then. 

im sure Glastonbury will be applying additional measures such as hand washing, mass testing and face masks to minimise risk exposure. I also think by then we will have made great progress on the vaccine front and have identified treatments which have a significant impact on the disease.  I’m really in the yes camp that it will go ahead because only 4 months ago my hometown was filled with 300,000 race spectators. Things change very quickly and I just can’t see us not having made significant strides to tackle rigs virus by next March 

• Upvote 1

Interesting that you mention the race season. 

The Jockey Club directors are very closely tied to our leadership. They will want people at the tracks as soon as possible spending money that will be directly filling their pockets. The government won’t be able to ban festivals but allow race meetings to go ahead. I have a lot of confidence that next years festival season will be going ahead. There will almost certainly be some changes to aid hygiene. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Interesting that you mention the race season. 

The Jockey Club directors are very closely tied to our leadership. They will want people at the tracks as soon as possible spending money that will be directly filling their pockets. The government won’t be able to ban festivals but allow race meetings to go ahead. I have a lot of confidence that next years festival season will be going ahead. There will almost certainly be some changes to aid hygiene. 

Exactly, talking to a close family member who is a director at Cheltenham borough council, the council tried to halt the event going ahead. However the government over ruled them and allowed it to happen, surely a sign that the government considers it important enough to go above a council! Lots of positive signs for me! Glasto 2021 is gonna be amazing!