Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?   

250 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

I really don't like that this is already a concern! 

If Glasto doesn't happen next year I dread to think of what next year will look like in terms of other things shut/ not happening! 

Yeah thats my opinion. If Glastonbury cant go ahead next June it will be the least of our problems/worries. There is already an economic time bomb waiting to hit us from this lockdown period. If we have had another period of lockdown or still have social distancing in place come decision date for Glastonbury which I assume will be March 2021 then the country is in big trouble. 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Maybe it all goes tits up and we hit a second wave for opening too quickly, but if we get through to September with infection rates still decreasing, I think we'll be having fans at football and gigs might even start up by the end of the year with no social distancing and just temperature checks + masks.

NHS projections are that end November will be the next potential peak with a sharp rise before that and a slow roll off after that.

From three separate consultants (two separate trusts in the NE) I was talking to last night.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Our London NHS trust has a 23% positive results on the antibody testing it's doing. I know many people testing positive for antibodies who were asymptomatic - plus some negative who tested positive for Covid!

12 hours ago, assorted said:

As someone that will likely only do one Glastonbury in my lifetime because of the expense (and the difficulty of organizing a group to go with me out of country my age), my biggest concern in regards to this is a Glastonbury demanding facemasks and social distancing. 

I live in NYC and it’s just unpleasant to be outside for me between the tension between mask wearers and non-mask wearers and the impossibility of social distancing in a city as population dense as NYC and the people who are trying (and failing) to social distance and are stressed about it and the people who don’t care or notice. To be clear I don’t really care one way or the other, I wear the mask and try to social distance because that’s what’s been asked of me, but it’s the tension that I notice and that in turn makes me tense. It just sucks right now.

I really don’t want to go to a Glastonbury that has the vibe like I am describing above. My current plan is to buy plane tickets again, reserve hotels again, and keep my tickets, and assume the festival will happen business as usual. 

If they announce “Glastonbury with social distancing” or “Glastonbury with face masks” i certainly hope that’s before April because I’m very confused what I’ll do. I know how hard it is to get a ticket and I’m very happy me and my group have tickets but... 

I suspect that might be an American thing, at least with non-mask wearers being annoyed at mask wearers.

I voted no but definitely won't be returning my ticket. I do think it's touch and go as they will need to make a decision in March time. I was in the "it'll definitely go ahead this year" camp for 2020 so have learned not to be so blindly optimistic around the virus. It all comes down to when the vaccine is widely available I think.

1 hour ago, hillwalker said:

Our London NHS trust has a 23% positive results on the antibody testing it's doing. I know many people testing positive for antibodies who were asymptomatic - plus some negative who tested positive for Covid!

Thanks, I knew I’d read an article from some time in June saying London was 20%+.

The latter points you raise just show how may questions there still are to be answered about this virus.

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I voted no but definitely won't be returning my ticket. I do think it's touch and go as they will need to make a decision in March time. I was in the "it'll definitely go ahead this year" camp for 2020 so have learned not to be so blindly optimistic around the virus. It all comes down to when the vaccine is widely available I think.

I think anyone with a ticket would be crazy to contemplate giving it back before April - and I say that as a ticketless person. 

We don't know what's around the corner so I think it's impossible to predict. I would hope there is some semblance of a new normality next summer, but the picture is going to change over the next few months. 

I optimistically booked gig tickets for December but I'm rapidly loosing hope for that now.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We're not doing this "pessimism means you don't deserve to go" bollocks again are we? 

Erm no ? I wasn’t ... I was asking a question ? Where on my post does it mention not deserving to go ? I think my post there has very much got lost in translation ... 

51 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Erm no ? I wasn’t ... I was asking a question ? Where on my post does it mention not deserving to go ? I think my post there has very much got lost in translation ... 

Sorry, that was a bit harsh.  I don't get why thinking the festival (which we all want to go to) won't go ahead means you would give your ticket back - I thought you were suggesting that meant there was some sort of logical inconsistency that meant someone should therefore give their ticket back if they were suggesting it wasn't going to happen.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry, that was a bit harsh.  I don't get why thinking the festival (which we all want to go to) won't go ahead means you would give your ticket back - I thought you were suggesting that meant there was some sort of logical inconsistency that meant someone should therefore give their ticket back if they were suggesting it wasn't going to happen.

No ... I was just asking if they had from an interest point of view ... not suggesting they should by any means ... wires crossed here I think ... as you were :) 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry, I think I must still be processing trauma from the round of threads before this year's festival was cancelled! :)

All good ... I’m the last person to want anyone on here cancelling tickets .. if they think it will happen or not ... I know how hard they are to come by this year to my cost (at the moment ) 

I don't think "vaccine or bust" is quite accurate to be honest. Initially I thought we'd need a vaccine to be able to travel abroad on holiday, yet here we are.

If we have another treatment or two (which seems likely) and case numbers low enough to effectively test and contact trace, I think events will be good to go probably with masks indoors and temperature checks. There may be spikes that need managing, which could make it a bit precarious for the industry, but there are ways to manage this without a vaccine. We're literally seeing that now before our eyes. Yes a 200,000 festival is different, but we're such a long way off yet with so much time to get the cases down and get better provisions in place, develop better testing, more treatments etc. As @Deaf Nobby Burton has been saying, if you end up with, say, 50 of the 200,000 people having Covid next June before the festival, a testing programme a week out from the festival would drive that number down. Say you then have 25 people with Covid entering the festival, a couple more could be picked up with temperature checks - then at a mostly outdoor event I don't think you're going to see it spreading that much. And is I understand people don't catch it and become infected instantaneously, so it's not going to spread to 20,000 people at the click of a finger. I certainly hope we have a vaccine by then, and there seems to be a fairly decent shot, but I think there's a really strong chance we have this weird "new normal" phase between now and the vaccine where things resume almost as normal but with x, y and z in place.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Lycra said:

If people act sensibly and social distance the fest will go ahead. If they act like idiots believing it's all over and/or it won't affect them anyway, then there's a good chance it won't. Your choice. 

Please don’t say that. We can’t depend on the average Brit being sensible. 

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I think anyone with a ticket would be crazy to contemplate giving it back before April - and I say that as a ticketless person. 

We don't know what's around the corner so I think it's impossible to predict. I would hope there is some semblance of a new normality next summer, but the picture is going to change over the next few months. 

I optimistically booked gig tickets for December but I'm rapidly loosing hope for that now.

Agreed. Assuming they would just offer to rollover to 2022 I don't see why anyone would cancel.

I have a few gigs that were meant to be this summer and have been rearranged for November but I just can't see them happening.

I haven't been active on this site for a while, so maybe someone can talk some sense into me.

This year would've been my first Glasto, coming all the way from Canada. I was crazy excited for it and it was a huge dream of mine to go. Unfortunately, I don't think there will ever be a Glastonbury Festival ever again. I see 2021 as highly unlikely, and from that one article I read, it sounds like if there's no 2021 festival, that's the end of Glastonbury.

Does anyone else interpret the article differently?

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I haven't been active on this site for a while, so maybe someone can talk some sense into me.

This year would've been my first Glasto, coming all the way from Canada. I was crazy excited for it and it was a huge dream of mine to go. Unfortunately, I don't think there will ever be a Glastonbury Festival ever again. I see 2021 as highly unlikely, and from that one article I read, it sounds like if there's no 2021 festival, that's the end of Glastonbury.

I think a glance at the poll above shows many think different ... the real answer nobody actually knows at this stage as things seem to change by the day ... hopefully the festival can find ways around it ... they will be investing lots in working out ways for it to happen 

12 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Will it happen next year? Maybe, maybe not.

Will it happen again, absolutely it will.

Technically speaking if it didn’t happen next year then it could be in real trouble financially, but it would never go bankrupt. There is too much goodwill from fans and musicians for that to happen. There are a myriad of options the festival could take to avoid bankruptcy. As a last resort they could easily get external investment or corporate sponsorship, but I don’t think they’d ever need to do as far as that anyway.

7 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I would expect a Glasto-bond could be launched to allow the festival to survive. 10 years with a pre-sales option would be very popular. 

Yep, there'd be dozens of ways of doing it if they needed to.

£150 buys you first refusal of tickets for the next 5 festivals. Capped at 30,000 people. That's 4.5 million quid - even after you take off VAT and any other taxes it'd easily outweigh the losses they incurred in the last fallow year and probably cover most of the additional cancellation costs.

I'd be all over that, and I suspect a lot of others would as well. It'd be oversubscribed for sure.