Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?   

250 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

I am a pretty pessimistic person, but all I can do is hope and pray that there is a way for the festival to safely go ahead next year. Some days I see a bunch of good news on treatments and vaccines, and I feel positive. Some days I just see the news about refreshed outbreaks and increased cases and I feel very wary.

All I know is I am not looking forward to a new one of these threads popping up every couple of weeks to ask the same question 🙄 we've hardly got our heads in the sand... we are very aware the coronavirus could cause the festival not to happen (because it already did!) but it would be nice to be able to imagine for a few weeks at a time that we might have a light to look forward to at the end of this unrelenting darkness.

• Upvote 1

I naively thought 2020 would go ahead when we were in December/January. I wouldn't even like to say about next year. They way it's dragging on and people are crying out for lockdown extensions and media hype it really wouldn't shock me at this stage if it didn't :( I hope I'm proved wrong because it's really getting to me now.

As someone that will likely only do one Glastonbury in my lifetime because of the expense (and the difficulty of organizing a group to go with me out of country my age), my biggest concern in regards to this is a Glastonbury demanding facemasks and social distancing. 

I live in NYC and it’s just unpleasant to be outside for me between the tension between mask wearers and non-mask wearers and the impossibility of social distancing in a city as population dense as NYC and the people who are trying (and failing) to social distance and are stressed about it and the people who don’t care or notice. To be clear I don’t really care one way or the other, I wear the mask and try to social distance because that’s what’s been asked of me, but it’s the tension that I notice and that in turn makes me tense. It just sucks right now.

I really don’t want to go to a Glastonbury that has the vibe like I am describing above. My current plan is to buy plane tickets again, reserve hotels again, and keep my tickets, and assume the festival will happen business as usual. 

If they announce “Glastonbury with social distancing” or “Glastonbury with face masks” i certainly hope that’s before April because I’m very confused what I’ll do. I know how hard it is to get a ticket and I’m very happy me and my group have tickets but... 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, D-Low said:

I naively thought 2020 would go ahead when we were in December/January. I wouldn't even like to say about next year. They way it's dragging on and people are crying out for lockdown extensions and media hype it really wouldn't shock me at this stage if it didn't :( I hope I'm proved wrong because it's really getting to me now.

Yeah I was on the optimistic side of things right up until the cancellation. When the line up was released I was convinced it was going ahead (even though by then it was quite clearly was unlikely). 

Ah well, ever the optimist.. I am confident we will be back to mostly normal my this time next year.

1 minute ago, assorted said:

As someone that will likely only do one Glastonbury in my lifetime because of the expense (and the difficulty of organizing a group to go with me out of country my age), my biggest concern in regards to this is a Glastonbury demanding facemasks and social distancing. 

I live in NYC and it’s just unpleasant to be outside for me between the tension between mask wearers and non-mask wearers and the impossibility of social distancing in a city as population dense as NYC and the people who are trying (and failing) to social distance and are stressed about it and the people who don’t care or notice. To be clear I don’t really care one way or the other, I wear the mask and try to social distance because that’s what’s been asked of me, but it’s the tension that I notice and that in turn makes me tense. It just sucks right now.

I really don’t want to go to a Glastonbury that has the vibe like I am describing above. My current plan is to buy plane tickets again, reserve hotels again, and keep my tickets, and assume the festival will happen business as usual. 

If they announce “Glastonbury with social distancing” or “Glastonbury with face masks” i certainly hope that’s before April because I’m very confused what I’ll do. I know how hard it is to get a ticket and I’m very happy me and my group have tickets but... 

Face masks I can see, but social distancing of any sort would be 100% impossible. 

14 minutes ago, assorted said:

I don't know about social distancing, but I am gathering from your post that you have never been to Glastonbury before? I'm sure you know this already but I can't even begin to explain the gulf of difference in 'vibe' between NYC and Glastonbury. For a large part, attendees respect the will of the festival. There will always be some dickheads who ignore the messaging, but if Glastonbury were to say "please/you must wear face masks", a significant majority would comply, and those who didn't would be shamed/tutted at in the very British way we do. There would be no 'tensions'.

I fear I'm not going to be able to explain this adequately, but if you are considering not attending Glastonbury on the basis of tensions between people being attentive to the dangers of coronavirus/those who are not, rather than just out of concern for the coronavirus, then you are (in my view) mistaken in just what the atmosphere of Glastonbury is like.

I hope this isn't coming off as belittling - not my intent. If you've got the chance to go to Glastonbury, I just don't want to think of anyone giving that up because they think it's the sort of place that could actually be spoiled by the dickheads. It doesn't work that way.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I don't know about social distancing, but I am gathering from your post that you have never been to Glastonbury before? I'm sure you know this already but I can't even begin to explain the gulf of difference in 'vibe' between NYC and Glastonbury. For a large part, attendees respect the will of the festival. There will always be some dickheads who ignore the messaging, but if Glastonbury were to say "please/you must wear face masks", a significant majority would comply, and those who didn't would be shamed/tutted at in the very British way we do. There would be no 'tensions'.

I fear I'm not going to be able to explain this adequately, but if you are considering not attending Glastonbury on the basis of tensions between people being attentive to the dangers of coronavirus/those who are not, rather than just out of concern for the coronavirus, then you are (in my view) mistaken in just what the atmosphere of Glastonbury is like.

I hope this isn't coming off as belittling - not my intent. If you've got the chance to go to Glastonbury, I just don't want to think of anyone giving that up because they think it's the sort of place that could actually be spoiled by the dickheads. It doesn't work that way.

You are correct, I’ve never been to Glastonbury. 

For me, the tension is from the sort of impossibility of all of it. To take your example, if Glastonbury said “please/you must wear face masks’... how does that work if people are drinking and eating all the time? That’s what I mean by impossible. Like the request just isn’t possible realistically, and personally I feel tense when witnessing that, to me it creates tension. And, honestly, the tension in my head is seeing lots of people drinking and eating without masks and not social distancing and Knowing there are other people thinking “those people are dickheads.” Like, that’s the exact tension for me in a nutshell. 

And you are again correct I’ve no clue what the atmosphere of Glastonbury is like. 

You are correct one more time that I’m not concerned about attending or not attending in terms of the coronavirus itself. If they allow it to happen that’s good enough for me and I’ll go and if not, not. 

Unsubstantiated opinion only, not specific to Glasto and I’ve got no more detail than I’ve written below. Please don’t nail me to a cross.

I spoke with a close relative who works in events management in the UK. Their opinion, and the word they’re getting from the bigger players such as Live Nation, is that next years festivals will be.... ON!!

• Upvote 2

Current prevalence of Covid in society is 0.04%, so if Glastonbury happened last weekend then 80 people would’ve had it out of 200k and that’s without any measures to bring that number down.

We don’t really know where we’ll be this time next year or in March next year, whether we’ll have had a second wave or not but I would’ve thought by then, especially if we have a second wave between now and then (not hoping for one, just being realistic about it being a possibility) Then we’ll be approaching maybe 30-40% immunity by then. We’re easily 20% in London, it’s 30% in NY and one of the ground zero Austrian ski resorts is already 40%. This is with us having only scratched the surface on how T-cell prevalence and response works with virus.

It would be pretty easy to bring the 80 people that would be infected on site down to maybe half or a quarter of that through an advance testing scheme.

So let’s say you end up with 30 people infected out of 200k but 40% of that 200k have already had it. We’ll have better treatments and better knowledge by then as well.

Pubs nationwide open 7 days a week from tomorrow. Yes they’ll have to operate with social distancing measures, but there won’t be any testing systems in place or anything like that. Will a festival be higher or lower risk of both catching and spreading the virus a year from now, compared the the collective risk of the pubs opening tomorrow?

I’d be willing to bet in a years time it will almost certainly be lower.

Before anyone says anything about immunity not being confirmed, it hasn't been proven anywhere that you don’t get some sort of immunity yet, which by now is far more evidence you do get immunity for at least some period of time.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

22 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Current prevalence of Covid in society is 0.04%, so if Glastonbury happened last weekend then 80 people would’ve had it out of 200k and that’s without any measures to bring that number down.

We don’t really know where we’ll be this time next year or in March next year, whether we’ll have had a second wave or not but I would’ve thought by then, especially if we have a second wave between now and then (not hoping for one, just being realistic about it being a possibility) Then we’ll be approaching maybe 30-40% immunity by then. We’re easily 20% in London, it’s 30% in NY and one of the ground zero Austrian ski resorts is already 40%. This is with us having only scratched the surface on how T-cell prevalence and response works with virus.

It would be pretty easy to bring the 80 people that would be infected on site down to maybe half or a quarter of that through an advance testing scheme.

So let’s say you end up with 30 people infected out of 200k but 40% of that 200k have already had it. We’ll have better treatments and better knowledge by then as well.

Pubs nationwide open 7 days a week from tomorrow. Yes they’ll have to operate with social distancing measures, but there won’t be any testing systems in place or anything like that. Will a festival be higher or lower risk of both catching and spreading the virus a year from now, compared the the collective risk of the pubs opening tomorrow?

I’d be willing to bet in a years time it will almost certainly be lower.

Before anyone says anything about immunity not being confirmed, it hasn't been proven anywhere that you don’t get some sort of immunity yet, which by now is far more evidence you do get immunity for at least some period of time.

Where are you getting 20% immune in London from? Not seen anything like that.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Where are you getting 20% immune in London from? Not seen anything like that.

I can’t find the one that said 20% but it was much more recent than this:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-study-says-one-in-six-have-had-covid-19-in-london-one-in-20-across-uk-11992393

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Thanks. Seems a lot higher than I would expect. Immunity issue for me isn't so much about whether they have it, as you say they probably do, it's about how long it lasts.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks. Seems a lot higher than I would expect. Immunity issue for me isn't so much about whether they have it, as you say they probably do, it's about how long it lasts.

There is speculation that around 20% and the virus starts to struggle. It’s something that the studies on infected on cruise ships support as well as in London and NY. Of course this is all speculation at the moment, but it helps to explain why you still get outbreaks in places which have much lower levels of infection because they aren’t close to that threshold yet.

I think this is the sort of unknown stuff that will hopefully make the festival completely viable next year, if there turns out to be any truth in it of course. 

Find it hard to believe you can actually go on holiday to Spain this weekend. I didn't think we'd be doing that until the winter, yet here we are.

Again just makes me feel something will be in place for Glastonbury to go ahead next year. We're so, so far ahead of where I thought we would be at this point. Maybe it all goes tits up and we hit a second wave for opening too quickly, but if we get through to September with infection rates still decreasing, I think we'll be having fans at football and gigs might even start up by the end of the year with no social distancing and just temperature checks + masks.

• Upvote 1