October ticket sale

Hugh Jass

12 hours ago, Scotdy said:

I think demand will increase off the back of the BBC coverage and cemented people who were on the fence that they will definitely go. Coronavirus would have passed in the public consciousness by resale day and we will be on to the next thing. 

I think it will all depend if there's a second surge by then, if we're in the midst of one by ticket day, that will likely hugely dent peoples interest. Also depends on the economic onslaught as a lot of people will be losing their jobs over the next few months.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I do wonder what's going to happen with coach tickets if we don't have a vaccine by next festival- if the coaches still have to do social distancing by then, there won't be enough capacity to fit everyone on them will there?

Are there actually restrictions on coach travel now though? Isn't it all just guidance to avoid public transport if you can?

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I do wonder what's going to happen with coach tickets if we don't have a vaccine by next festival- if the coaches still have to do social distancing by then, there won't be enough capacity to fit everyone on them will there?

mandatory facemasks will be the answer ... maybe they might not do a resale for coach tickets to enable more space .... maybe an increase on general admission for 1 year .... lots to speculate over 

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Are there actually restrictions on coach travel now though? Isn't it all just guidance to avoid public transport if you can?

I'm not sure, I know local buses here still have social distancing and so do the trains- I've just presumed coaches are the same! Just looked it up, here's what national express are up to (this would also significantly impact those who arrive via public transport if it was still in place next summer (hopefully the situation will be much improved by then!):

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/coronavirus-safety

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

mandatory facemasks will be the answer ... maybe they might not do a resale for coach tickets to enable more space .... maybe an increase on general admission for 1 year .... lots to speculate over 

Or put on more buses and have less passengers per bus, though that would have a cost implication. Don’t know if folk would agree to that. 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Or put on more buses and have less passengers per bus, though that would have a cost implication. Don’t know if folk would agree to that. 

and the availability of buses might be an issue ... ?  all the extras would potentially be in use for public transport and school transport ? 

2 hours ago, SouthbanKen said:

Bluetarsky: Push, push, push

Mrs Bluetarsky: I am bloody pushing.

Bluetarsky: So am I, F5, F5, F5, F5

Bluetarsky: I can see it, i can see it?

Mrs Bluetarsky: What, what can you see, the baby? the babys head?

Bluetarsky: No, the confirmation page!!!

😂 out of upvotes, sorry! 

59 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

But in schools it’s going in September ... can’t see it as an ongoing thing ... it’s all a push on the economy rightly or wrongly .12 months time is going to be very different to now ... looking at how things have already gone ... 

Social distancing just isn’t happening in schools, at least, not the one I have been into. It’s getting the barest consideration, and no masks either... mind blowing 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

39 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Just picking up on the return of all pupils to school in September. As my head-scratching Head Teacher buddy keeping telling me, it won't be business as usual. He's currently stressed trying to meet DoE social distancing guidance for 1,200 pupils + staff.

Try telling people I know that, they are carrying on as per now... 

29 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes, next door neighbour is a technician for a coach company, he’s not expecting to return until September. Currently the expectation is only 1 in 6 seats can be used, so business isn’t viable. There are 6-7 local coach companies round here, and most depend on school transport contracts for their bread and butter. 2 have gone bust already. Neighbour is hoping his employer can ride it out as they are the second biggest company, but they shelled out 100k on a new vehicle immediately prior to lockdown which has put them in a hole. It’s done 2 trips. 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Social distancing just isn’t happening in schools, at least, not the one I have been into. It’s getting the barest consideration, and no masks either... mind blowing 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

totally get that .... but at least they have the covid secure seal .... thats really important !!!  ffs .... I think they need to give teachers a special badge too .... 

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think it will all depend if there's a second surge by then, if we're in the midst of one by ticket day, that will likely hugely dent peoples interest. Also depends on the economic onslaught as a lot of people will be losing their jobs over the next few months.

I’d say if there was a second wave/lockdown come October then there definitely won’t be a sale. 

56 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

54 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and the availability of buses might be an issue ... ?  all the extras would potentially be in use for public transport and school transport ? 

You’d need at least 4 times as many buses to match current guidelines on public transport. I wouldn’t like to be wearing a mask for 4 hours plus either if you’re travelling down from the north. A mask on the way back however would be quite beneficial. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'm not sure, I know local buses here still have social distancing and so do the trains- I've just presumed coaches are the same! Just looked it up, here's what national express are up to (this would also significantly impact those who arrive via public transport if it was still in place next summer (hopefully the situation will be much improved by then!):

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/coronavirus-safety

Ah interesting. Yeah you'd hope it has improved by then. I don't see the sense in only having window seats as surely you could sit next to someone you live with? But I guess they might then be closer to the people across the aisle.

I've only got the tube and bus once during lockdown but other than the driver door on the bus being off limits there was no attempt to limit numbers of section off seats at all. That was back in May so might be different now. Obviously a lot easier to control on coaches though.

It would be sad indeed if all this palaver meant more people decide to drive do the festival where before they would have used public transport.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You’d need at least 4 times as many buses to match current guidelines on public transport. I wouldn’t like to be wearing a mask for 4 hours plus either if you’re travelling down from the north. A mask on the way back however would be quite beneficial. 

Very true, it’s probably impractical, was about to suggest double deckers but the thought of rattling down the M6 and M5 on the top deck like Cliff Richard in summer holiday doesn’t bear thinking about!  We have never travelled by bus, always miss out or don't try for that part of the ticket sale, but can imagine the return journey might be a bit pungent. An oxygen mask might be better than a normal face mask😁

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I personally wouldn't be happy. The coach prices for Glastonbury are already a massive rip off.

I can understand why they are pretty expensive. You’re not going to be able to put those coaches straight back into service after a return trip from Glastonbury. Even for a dry festival they are pungent. If it’s a muddy festival then it’s not just the smell that needs to be dealt with, you also have all the muddy clothes and gear to deal with too. 

Those coach drivers heading north after a festival won’t be wanting to work on a normal wage either. I’d definitely want to be on extra pay to deal with the additional aroma. You never really notice the Glastonbury smell until you’re in an enclosed vehicle leaving the site. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d say if there was a second wave/lockdown come October then there definitely won’t be a sale. 

Yes I reckon they might be reluctant to do a sale in October if there is still a lot of uncertainty. Maybe they might wait until they know it can go ahead themselves and do the resale etc all in one in April?? 

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I reckon they might be reluctant to do a sale in October if there is still a lot of uncertainty. Maybe they might wait until they know it can go ahead themselves and do the resale etc all in one in April?? 

It’s a tricky one because it might also depend on how many people have asked for a refund and how much they could do with the extra cash. They’re in such a difficult position because they can’t just hold off and do nothing until next year, so they almost need to plough on regardless but that carries with it mounting costs.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

That's a really good point that I didn't consider. I suspect that there aren't a lot of old coaches hanging around for big-day charters these days. 

The point of the coaches is that it’s more environmentally friendly. If they need to start laying on more so that people can SD then I’d imagine it would create more of an environmental impact than going by car, so will surely be scrapped. Better off putting the price on car park tickets and using the money to offset the emissions somehow, or just give straight to green peace.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can understand why they are pretty expensive. You’re not going to be able to put those coaches straight back into service after a return trip from Glastonbury. Even for a dry festival they are pungent. If it’s a muddy festival then it’s not just the smell that needs to be dealt with, you also have all the muddy clothes and gear to deal with too. 

Those coach drivers heading north after a festival won’t be wanting to work on a normal wage either. I’d definitely want to be on extra pay to deal with the additional aroma. You never really notice the Glastonbury smell until you’re in an enclosed vehicle leaving the site. 

I doubt the money goes to the drivers! It costs about four times as much which I think is impossible to justify. Pretty easy to air out a coach.

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s a tricky one because it might also depend on how many people have asked for a refund and how much they could do with the extra cash. They’re in such a difficult position because they can’t just hold off and do nothing until next year, so they almost need to plough on regardless but that carries with it mounting costs.

Yes but I assume that See Tickets charge for the service of putting on a sale if there is a chance that they will have to refund all the money then it would end up costing them even more they might be better off just delaying it until they have a better indication of whether they can provide the service. Until September anyone who gives up their ticket gets the full £50 refunded whereas if you leave it until after that they get to keep £15 I think admin fee.