21 Event and bankruptcy

aj6658

I am convinced that if the festival was facing bankruptcy, then a lot of acts (British especially) would play for free or for a symbolically low fee (e.g. £1). The festival isn't just important for us, it is also crucial for the music industry. It offers TV exposure on prime time national telly/ radio for starters. Think how many acts have hit the big time after their glastonbury set. 

Yeah the line up headliners might be Coldplay, Pulp, and Florence and the Machine. But I truly believe they'd have enough to fill stages at scaled down festival. And many of us would still pay to go, because glastonbury matters so much to us.  

8 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I am convinced that if the festival was facing bankruptcy, then a lot of acts (British especially) would play for free or for a symbolically low fee (e.g. £1). The festival isn't just important for us, it is also crucial for the music industry. It offers TV exposure on prime time national telly/ radio for starters. Think how many acts have hit the big time after their glastonbury set. 

Yeah the line up headliners might be Coldplay, Pulp, and Florence and the Machine. But I truly believe they'd have enough to fill stages at scaled down festival. And many of us would still pay to go, because glastonbury matters so much to us.  

I think you’re right. I don’t think their existing charities should suffer, but they could even act as a fund raising affair for the music industry as a whole, to help smaller venues etc. 

9 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Tbf even if there was no music you'd still go wouldn't you lets be honest. It'd just be a weekend of Thursdays and that's the best day!! 

Sign me up!

20 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Maybe. Artists gotta eat too.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:38 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Can't see them putting the price up when people have paid a deposit as it will have said somewhere what the remaining balance will be. Effectively a contract innit.

I think they should consider offering more ways for the festival to make a bit of money.

Last time I went to Leeds Festival, in 2017, they had a service where they have you a big plastic bin bag, and you put your stuff in it. There were 4 or 5 spots dotted around the site, and you could pay £10 per bin bag (I think the money went to charity), they took the bags in a little van, and then dropped them at the place you asked for it to be dropped to.

If I'm perfectly honest, I would quite happily pay £25 a bag (obviously re-usable or biodegradable) at Glasto to get my stuff dropped off inside. I'd just carry my tent and chair with me in the queue.

It could also be worth them offering an option to buy food/drink/merch vouchers before the festival. It guarantees money in the festival's pocket from those sort of things before the gates have even opened, and it would also help the punters ration their money a bit better.

14 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I think they should consider offering more ways for the festival to make a bit of money.

Last time I went to Leeds Festival, in 2017, they had a service where they have you a big plastic bin bag, and you put your stuff in it. There were 4 or 5 spots dotted around the site, and you could pay £10 per bin bag (I think the money went to charity), they took the bags in a little van, and then dropped them at the place you asked for it to be dropped to.

If I'm perfectly honest, I would quite happily pay £25 a bag (obviously re-usable or biodegradable) at Glasto to get my stuff dropped off inside. I'd just carry my tent and chair with me in the queue.

It could also be worth them offering an option to buy food/drink/merch vouchers before the festival. It guarantees money in the festival's pocket from those sort of things before the gates have even opened, and it would also help the punters ration their money a bit better.

I'd pay for my stuff to be taken in too tbf. Imagine not having all that stuff to lug in 😍

I hardly eat owt at the festival, I've never spent more than 20 quid so vouchers wouldn't really benefit me (or my friends)

24 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I hardly eat owt at the festival, I've never spent more than 20 quid so vouchers wouldn't really benefit me (or my friends)

I honestly cannot comprehend this.  Food is probably where most of my money goes at the festival.

You've made my head (and stomach) hurt just thinking about it! :lol: 

39 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I'd pay for my stuff to be taken in too tbf. Imagine not having all that stuff to lug in 😍

I don't buy much fluid at the festival, but the food is one of my favourite parts of the festival!

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

I honestly cannot comprehend this.  Food is probably where most of my money goes at the festival.

She’s a lightweight and can only handle half a pint of cider a day. 😂

43 minutes ago, Quark said:

Says the man who said you weren't bothered for Easter eggs or milkybars 😮 (that's right, I didn't forget 😂)

I do say every year I'm gonna take it easy so I can enjoy more of the food but it never happens

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

She’s a lightweight and can only handle half a pint of cider a day. 😂

Oh piss off you! 😂

7 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

Says the man who said you weren't bothered for Easter eggs or milkybars 😮 (that's right, I didn't forget 😂)

I do say every year I'm gonna take it easy so I can enjoy more of the food but it never happens

Oh piss off you! 😂

First up, good memory :D

Easter eggs and milkybars, absolutely can live without them.

Falafel, rac shack, mac & cheese, no bones jones, gandhi's flipflop, milkshakes, crumble shack, churros...the list goes on!  It's a 5 day blow out on good things! Plus for some reason I do tend to find I get hungrier in the evenings....

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

First up, good memory :D

Easter eggs and milkybars, absolutely can live without them.

Falafel, rac shack, mac & cheese, no bones jones, gandhi's flipflop, milkshakes, crumble shack, churros...the list goes on!  It's a 5 day blow out on good things! Plus for some reason I do tend to find I get hungrier in the evenings....

You're wrong about the chocolate 😭

I miss all the good stuff 😔 I have a proper meal on the Wednesday and then maybe something little on the Saturday afternoon but something easy to eat. It took me almost 2 hours to eat half a crepe once, and it was a mission. Maybe next year I'll take it easy and then I can eat allllll of the food 😁

4 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

You're wrong about the chocolate 😭

I miss all the good stuff 😔 I have a proper meal on the Wednesday and then maybe something little on the Saturday afternoon but something easy to eat. It took me almost 2 hours to eat half a crepe once, and it was a mission. Maybe next year I'll take it easy and then I can eat allllll of the food 😁

Maybe I'm lucky, but my appetite is generally the last thing to go for me.  Normally a very good indicator of whether I'm approaching death's door :lol:

And don't get me wrong, I loooove me my chocolate.  Just don't tend to have much in the way of easter eggs. And milkybars aren't chocolate ;)

Edited by Quark

I think we need to accept that this virus is the new normal. I really dont see a vaccine being produced in a near future but there will be better treatment and testing. 

From what ive seen, lockdown is over. No ones social distancing, just look on Soho street when the pubs reopened. There will be another spike in the autumn and winter. 

The economy cant handle lockdown for another 6 months of lockdown and theres no point if its half-arsed. Reducing capacity of festivals i think is pointless. The cost to put these events on is massive and require a sell out. How much would you reduce capacity? reducing by a small amount (say 30k) is that really gonna gonna make a difference? if you cut it by more, theres no point hosting the festival. 

The best we can hope for is that by March there is better testing and treatment and that festivals will require a test before the event

58 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I think we need to accept that this virus is the new normal. I really dont see a vaccine being produced in a near future but there will be better treatment and testing. 

From what ive seen, lockdown is over. No ones social distancing, just look on Soho street when the pubs reopened. There will be another spike in the autumn and winter. 

The economy cant handle lockdown for another 6 months of lockdown and theres no point if its half-arsed. Reducing capacity of festivals i think is pointless. The cost to put these events on is massive and require a sell out. How much would you reduce capacity? reducing by a small amount (say 30k) is that really gonna gonna make a difference? if you cut it by more, theres no point hosting the festival. 

The best we can hope for is that by March there is better testing and treatment and that festivals will require a test before the event

Surely the  best we can hope for is the virus disappearing and festivals going back to normal? Not saying it's likely but that is the best we can hope for. 😉

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Surely the  best we can hope for is the virus disappearing and festivals going back to normal? Not saying it's likely but that is the best we can hope for. 😉

Absolutely, would love it that by the end of the year the whole Coronavirus is done and dusted

Maybe i'm just being too much of a negative nelly but i think this virus is just gonna be one of those things that will be circulating for years. Its basically gonna be flu and covid season. 

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

Absolutely, would love it that by the end of the year the whole Coronavirus is done and dusted

Maybe i'm just being too much of a negative nelly but i think this virus is just gonna be one of those things that will be circulating for years. Its basically gonna be flu and covid season. 

I think you're being more cautious which is entirely fair enough, the way I see it is we have a year to go for lots of major events now and yet 7 months ago we hadn't even heard of the virus, now we have multiple vaccines in trial and several effective treatments for the worst cases so it's worth being cautiously optimistic if you ask me because of how quickly things are progressing 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:19 PM, kemosabe said:

It's said that many acts on the main stages are already paid very little for this exact reason  I would imagine it's to the point where waiving fees wouldn't really be much of a boon to the festival. Costs about £40m to run and the headliners are believed to be paid somewhere between £200k-£300k so if the fees go down from there you're looking at about 5% spent on main stage artists.

I would think that the only way to scrape the money back is from us, with higher ticket prices and such - maybe stretching capacity a little more.

Edited by dentalplan

35 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think this arts package is overwhelmingly good news for next year. It’s much bigger than expected, it will probably mean music venues and theatres etc have to remain mothballed until next year, but beyond that there will be a desire to get everything back open again. 

the govt is meant to be announcing a plan for venues this week, which should give a good idea of what's happening.

Then again, it's from this govt. ;) 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

the govt is meant to be announcing a plan for venues this week, which should give a good idea of what's happening.

Then again, it's from this govt. ;) 

"I'm sorry if you feel that you're not allowed to open yet"