21 Event and bankruptcy

aj6658

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m not sure viral load manages to go through tents , but I do see your point ... although outside transmission does seem to be limited based on marches , beaches , and VE Day congas .... although the discussion is based on festivals once sport returns with crowds the argument against festivals not happening begins to weaken 

Very true. I can't see football carrying on to next spring with no crowds. Once this becomes common place we are looking much more positive surely.

Viruses have always been around and we've continued to have festivals up until this year. The difference with this virus is the fatality rate. However if drugs are developed to reduce the fatality rate for this virus such that its similar to the likes of flu then there's no reason not to hold festivals, even if we don't have a vaccine. 

Any coronavirus vaccine isn’t necessarily going to be a magic cure. CV is likely going to become endemic and any vaccine will just help to minimise the impact just like it does with flu. If we’re going to have to wait for CV to be eradicated we’ll be waiting a very long time. I think I read the other day the only virus we’ve ever successfully eradicated is smallpox. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I agree, we've got no idea where we could be come the end of the year but we've gone from having no idea vaccine to having many trials taking place as we speak and a proven treatment that can be used in the worst cases. I'm not expert but I think there will be some kind of effective treatment by the spring of next year and we'll have some form or normality by then so I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be at our respective festivals next year and enjoy life for what it is 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Michael seemed to be confident and even hinted he had plans already drawn up to cope with it.

I mean, I think it’s going to happen but taking the optimism of the world’s biggest optimist as a sign it’ll be fine is a leap. 

Then again, most people would bet against a Somerset dairy farmer who decided to put a stage in a field becoming the organisers of the world’s biggest festival, so what do people know? 

31 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

IF EVERYONE STAYS IN OR AT LEAST DOES THE RIGHT THING IT WILL BE FINE 

And meanwhile we all have 12 months of living to do!  

As it says in Desiderata! 

’With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams it is still a beautiful world                   be cheerful, strive to be happy’

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And meanwhile we all have 12 months of living to do!  

As it says in Desiderata! 

’With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams it is still a beautiful world                   be cheerful, strive to be happy’

Ent that the truth old son 

13 hours ago, Copperface said:

The future..............

https://deershedfestival.com/basecamp/

My friends asked on the group chat if we were interested, they want to go as it’s not staying at home for a couple of nights and is something a bit different. 

It looks depressing, but I understand why they are trying to do it. They must think they can sell out for 4 weekends. 

5 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

My friends asked on the group chat if we were interested, they want to go as it’s not staying at home for a couple of nights and is something a bit different. 

It looks depressing, but I understand why they are trying to do it. They must think they can sell out for 4 weekends. 

To be honest, it's tempting.

8 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Yeah I totally get why they'd do it. Not for me though. Too many bad childhood memories of hanging around campsites with nothing to do! 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be honest, it's tempting.

I'd go in a flash if it wasn't sold out. We love camping but when we go to normal campsites the other people aren't festival goers so we basically stopped going and either wild camp or go to festivals. This event is not perfect, but it's not totally awful. Will probably attempt something with some people we usually go to festivals with at some point in August :)

12 hours ago, El Matador said:

Viruses have always been around and we've continued to have festivals up until this year. The difference with this virus is the fatality rate. However if drugs are developed to reduce the fatality rate for this virus such that its similar to the likes of flu then there's no reason not to hold festivals, even if we don't have a vaccine. 

Mortality rates are not the whole story though - morbidity rates are almost equally as important. Just surviving isn't enough.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/13/world/coronavirus-survivors-severe-health-effects-years/

Not sure how many times this needs to be said - this is not similar to the 'likes of flu'.

The pandemic started because we did not know about the virus and as such took little to no precaution for it. So when it hit, that's why we had the huge peak we did. 

Hopefully, wearing masks and carrying hand sanitiser when in busy places will become the new normal, and while that alone won't protect us fully it will hopefully stop any major spread. As long as we can control the spread best we can and protect the NHS from being overwhelmed then we will be able to live with slightly more normal lives with the virus still in existence. 

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Mortality rates are not the whole story though - morbidity rates are almost equally as important. Just surviving isn't enough.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/13/world/coronavirus-survivors-severe-health-effects-years/

Not sure how many times this needs to be said - this is not similar to the 'likes of flu'.

The key to the title of that article is ‘could’. There have been over 10m confirmed cases of covid worldwide, the overriding majority of those will not have lasting impact on their health. If you end up with pneumonia and on a ventilator you’ll likely have ongoing health issues as a result, Covid related or not. You do not see stories in the news about the millions of people who were asymptomatic and didn’t even know they had it.

15 hours ago, Copperface said:

Which one?

Bearded theory?

No it’s literally a small local festival a couple thousand usually, they’ve been told they have to downsize the capacity, hand sanitizers, bar rules for serving etc. They seem pretty optimistic it’ll happen, I am sceptical but if it does happen that’s a win