21 Event and bankruptcy

aj6658

An effective and timely vaccine and the ability to implement a mass vaccination programme is the only way festivals are going ahead next year. Unlikely in my view. There is no guarantee of any vaccine being effective as there are so many aspects to this virus and the ability and capacity to complete a mass vaccination requires a lengthy period and huge effort.

Social distancing measures will be in place until there is and that precludes any such mass gatherings.

In addition Glastonbury (and those licensing it) would probably need to know by March as to the likelihood of that so time is very short.

Still don't think that many people appreciate the seriousness of all this. The world does not revolve around festivals, an afterthought to most, although I do appreciate that a festivals forum may take a different view. 

Since early March all the planning I have seen has been based on a timescale of 12 to 18 months as a starting point. 

Don't think missing missing Macca is really going to alter that.

10 minutes ago, Copperface said:

An effective and timely vaccine and the ability to implement a mass vaccination programme is the only way festivals are going ahead next year. Unlikely in my view. There is no guarantee of any vaccine being effective as there are so many aspects to this virus and the ability and capacity to complete a mass vaccination requires a lengthy period and huge effort.

Social distancing measures will be in place until there is and that precludes any such mass gatherings.

In addition Glastonbury (and those licensing it) would probably need to know by March as to the likelihood of that so time is very short.

Still don't think that many people appreciate the seriousness of all this. The world does not revolve around festivals, an afterthought to most, although I do appreciate that a festivals forum may take a different view. 

Since early March all the planning I have seen has been based on a timescale of 12 to 18 months as a starting point. 

It isn’t just festivals though ... it’s all the arts and live sport which have massive economic and also well-being impacts ... 

15 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Festivals maybe an afterthought to most people, but they aren’t to those within that industry and all the interconnected supply chains that rely on them.

They can’t really afford to sit on their hands for 6 months and hope for a vaccine. They are once yearly events so most can take this year on the chin, but it would be suicidal/grossly negligent to pin all there hopes on one single outcome.

For many the choice will be do nothing and go under, or look at any other possible alternatives aside from just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best. It may end up being that it’s a vaccine or nothing, but it would be pretty bizarre to not pursue all avenues.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

It isn’t just festivals though ... it’s all the arts and live sport which have massive economic and also well-being impacts ... 

Absolutely agree. We're just talking about festivals here though. Economic and well being vs risk of viral spread. 

But this is also scalable. A small museum or theatre opening with the appropriate measures is not in the same ballpark as a festival of 200,000 people off their tits, sharing minging toilet facilities, camped nose to tail and sharing communal eating facilities.

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Absolutely agree. We're just talking about festivals here though. Economic and well being vs risk of viral spread. 

But this is also scalable. A small museum or theatre opening with the appropriate measures is not in the same ballpark as a festival of 200,000 people off their tits, sharing minging toilet facilities, camped nose to tail and sharing communal eating facilities.

I’m not sure viral load manages to go through tents , but I do see your point ... although outside transmission does seem to be limited based on marches , beaches , and VE Day congas .... although the discussion is based on festivals once sport returns with crowds the argument against festivals not happening begins to weaken 

I think there is another consideration which is the impact of no gigs or festivals for another 18 months. Festivals are obviously hugely popular, so there is the demand for them. We’ve already seen illegal raves with stabbings a rape and a death as well as the obvious spread of the virus anyway. These types of events will continue to happen to fill the gap but they’ll just get bigger and more organised as times goes by. At what point does this have a greater negative impact than working on a plan to deliver events that are safer in every respect?

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think there is another consideration which is the impact of no gigs or festivals for another 18 months. Festivals are obviously hugely popular, so there is the demand for them. We’ve already seen illegal raves with stabbings a rape and a death as well as the obvious spread of the virus anyway. These types of events will continue to happen to fill the gap but they’ll just get bigger and more organised as times goes by. At what point does this have a greater negative impact than working on a plan to deliver events that are safer in every respect?

This my worry the demand is there and if the events don’t take place by the organisers people will arrange their own which will be unsafe! There is a lot of planning around the infrastructure of festivals to maintain safety to all involved!! 

5 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

Blimmin' hope not!

Looks a nightmare, although good luck to the organisers trying to salvage what they can from a terrible situation.

I know someone who runs three small coffee vans that normally go to all the festivals (not Glastonbury though due to cost of pitches) and they are adapting, improvising and trying to overcome their challenges by finding other places to serve their beverages other than festivals. 

Hard times and they are trying but even they said they wouldn't feel comfortable opening within festivals until safety was assured.

Edited by Copperface

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The future..............

https://deershedfestival.com/basecamp/

That’s just a campsite with everyone listening to the same radio station. Nothing new or ground breaking there. 

No social interaction with anyone else or having a bimble is not a festival. 

If the worst comes to the worst and this and future pandemics mean we have to alter the way we interact with other people then maybe we’ll end up in a world similar to what is seen in Ready Player One. Lost Horizon are already making the first steps towards this potential reality with their VR experience. 

Nothing will substitute the sounds, smells and feels of a real festival though. 

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Looks a nightmare, although good luck to the organisers trying to salvage what they can from a terrible situation.

I know someone who runs three small coffee vans that normally go to all the festivals (not Glastonbury though due to cost of pitches) and they are adapting, improvising and trying to overcome their challenges by finding other places to serve their beverages other that festivals. 

Hard times and they are trying but even they said they wouldn't feel comfortable opening within festivals until safety was assured.

how are they any less safe at a festival ? numbers of people they serve ? ... 

36 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Given the Eavii say no 2021 festival means no more Glastonbury ever, you're effectively writing off the festival for good. Where's you blind faith and optimism? 

You should be booted off the forum 😜

Edited by blutarsky
Spilling mistake ;-)
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I know someone who runs three small coffee vans that normally go to all the festivals (not Glastonbury though due to cost of pitches) and they are adapting, improvising and trying to overcome their challenges by finding other places to serve their beverages other than festivals. 

Oh so they’re emigrating to New Zealand then?

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

how are they any less safe at a festival ? numbers of people they serve ? ... 

Partly. but a combination of factors they perceive to increase a risk to themselves and their staff. Mainly just the general surroundings, space restrictions and to put it bluntly the normal clientele at a festival is different from irregular pop up openings for passing trade in pub car parks.

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Given the Eavii say no 2021 festival means no more Glastonbury ever, you're effectively writing off the festival for good. Where's you blind faith and optimism? 

You should be booted off the forum 😜

Blind faith and optimism goes a long way. Especially on some of these forums.

I'm very sure that the festival will happen in 2021, are we going to have no events at all up until July 2021? No. So much will change between now and the end of the year let alone another 6 months after that. We are opening up now, it's too early but it at least shows they wants things to start getting back to normal. Our testing capacity, tracing system and treatments will be so much more improved in another year. I can see the festival happening with people testing themselves 2 days before the event and logging it online somehow before.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Oh so they’re emigrating to New Zealand then?

There is a hard choice to make between feeling comfortable and facing up to hard economic truths. I'm not saying they wouldn't.

I didn't think pubs would be open until well in to the Autumn, yet here we are. There's a dire economic need to figure this out and it impacts directly on millions in the industry. There's a long way to go yet and plans are already in motion sketching a way to bring back events. Locking down was the way to go, but it's not the long term solution. We're not through the worst of the first wave and have learnt a lot, have two treatments and greatly increased testing. We've made huge strides in 3 months. We'll make even more by the close of 2020 and I feel quite confident that one way or another we'll be seeing events return next year.

I wouldn't even rule out football having fans back in September tbh.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Claire0406 said:

Our local festival is planning on going ahead in September with a huge list of changes they have to implement. If this goes ahead I will be pretty optimistic about large festivals happening next year! So fingers crossed x 

Which one?

Bearded theory?

52 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I haven’t seen such pessimism since the original corona thread. 

Where’s the rest of the 100% crew to spread some positive vibes 😁

Yes, is far too early to speculate or get depressed at the unthinkable. Michael seemed to be confident and even hinted he had plans already drawn up to cope with it.  There’s nine months to go before decisions are made. A helluva lot can happen before then. I for one ain’t spending that time thinking the worst. We will be on the farm come next June!👍