21 Event and bankruptcy

aj6658

Glastonbury festival aren't going to have 24/7 covid tests in 2021.

Four scenarios:

1. Fest goes ahead likeforlike w/ broad solution in play (vaccine/treatment/herd immunity). Ref: my bridge sale.

2. Melvin B's app "passporting" is rolled out with tests conducted at home / validated the week of the festival. Incredible for me to believe this is possible with Glaster's in/out policy all weekend, people on site for months before and after scenario. As for queuing for toilets and washing facilities, staffing vending outlets and bars, and the cleaning of all of the above - anyone's fucking guess. To my mind, totally untenable.

3. "Attend at your own risk" policy hinted at in the Guardian. Really can't see this fitting the ethical approach the festival adopts. Who knows. To me this is more likely than option 1 or 2 above if youre trying to convince yourself the fest will go ahead. Not sure how this plays out with local council / Westminster etc. Michael could punt on the short term and fuck up the festival's prospects long term.

4. Fest is postponed, tickets rolled again, some kind of online fundraiser. Enhanced version of what we've seen this past weekend. 5% of the artists performing from home including Macca and Taylor S.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Glastonbury festival aren't going to have 24/7 covid tests in 2021.

Four scenarios:

1. Fest goes ahead likeforlike w/ broad solution in play (vaccine/treatment/herd immunity). Ref: my bridge sale.

2. Melvin B's app "passporting" is rolled out with tests conducted at home / validated the week of the festival. Incredible for me to believe this is possible with Glaster's in/out policy all weekend, people on site for months before and after scenario. As for queuing for toilets and washing facilities, staffing vending outlets and bars, and the cleaning of all of the above - anyone's fucking guess. To my mind, totally untenable.

3. "Attend at your own risk" policy hinted at in the Guardian. Really can't see this fitting the ethical approach the festival adopts. Who knows. To me this is more likely than option 1 or 2 above if youre trying to convince yourself the fest will go ahead. Not sure how this plays out with local council / Westminster etc. Michael could punt on the short term and fuck up the festival's prospects long term.

4. Fest is postponed, tickets rolled again, some kind of online fundraiser. Enhanced version of what we've seen this past weekend. 5% of the artists performing from home including Macca and Taylor S.

Point 3, it would be extremely honourable of them to not take the ‘at your own risk’ approach, but as far as I can see they’d be completely alone in the world in not doing so. 

On point 3.

Going to the shop is at your own risk, going to the pubs hairdressers and nail salons etc will be at your own risk. Doing anything that puts yourself in contact will the outside world carries a level of risk. 

We won’t be spending the next year hiding indoors from everything. The festival should be able to go ahead without having to make a statement about a risk that everyone will already be living with on a daily basis but I can see masks possibly being compulsory for the festival to go ahead. GFL should take advantage of this and start making Glastonbury branded ones.

I’d buy one even if they weren’t compulsory!  

Edited by squirrelarmy

All or nothing I reckon, punters may be happy to take the risk but employers/employees/local councils/local populations are a different kettle of fish.

Hopefully, a vaccine or a reduction in the likelihood for severe illness coupled with significant immunity within the population will see it go-ahead. If testing is required then I guess that would mean that the danger/risk is still significant where social distancing would be impossible... mask wearing could be compulsory but how could it be policed?

Hopefully, the next six to eight months will reveal what we're really up against because at the moment nobody seems particularly certain.

I've got a ticket and I'm fairly optimistic.

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

On point 3.

Going to the shop is at your own risk, going to the pubs hairdressers and nail salons etc will be at your own risk. Doing anything that puts yourself in contact will the outside world carries a level of risk. 

We won’t be spending the next year hiding indoors from everything. The festival should be able to go ahead without having to make a statement about a risk that everyone will already be living with on a daily basis but I can see masks possibly being compulsory for the festival to go ahead. GFL should take advantage of this and start making Glastonbury branded ones.

I’d buy one even if they weren’t compulsory!  

Yes precisely my point, if they took a zero tolerance approach to risk they’d be standing alone against what the rest of the world are doing.

They have a festival to plan for next year, they can’t not move forward with it, but equally they can’t move forward and just gamble everything on a miracle vaccine that eradicates the virus. If they genuinely wouldn’t go ahead without a vaccine or without an implied ‘at your own risk approach’ they’d just have to cancel right now.

They need to move forward as if next year is happening while exploring every possible option to give themselves the best chance of being able to proceed.

I’d gladly pay for my festival tickets even if it doesn’t go ahead, just see it as a donation, a thank you, a gift that would hopefully help secure the future of the festival.  I’ve already paid for a football season ticket in full knowledge that I might not see many games but out of loyalty to the club. I don’t see the festival as being any different. I do however fully understand I am lucky enough to be in that position and others can’t afford this sort of gesture. 

Of course it won’t come to that worst case scenario, we will be on the farm next June!

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Surely masks are a non starter at a festival? People eating and drinking all day so it would be on and off constantly.

Saying that though masks aren't required when meeting outside under the new rules when standing 1m together and there hasn't been any big increases from people crowding the bwzfhes as if yet so I'm not sure if they'd even be needed in this regard, either that or they're optional 

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

Saying that though masks aren't required when meeting outside under the new rules when standing 1m together and there hasn't been any big increases from people crowding the bwzfhes as if yet so I'm not sure if they'd even be needed in this regard, either that or they're optional 

Masks only required when you enter the John Peel tent. New stewards role.😂

Edited by Leyrulion

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Masks only required when you enter the John Peel tent. New stewards role.😂

I hadn't even thought of that 😂 maybe they might be required in the inside venues? I'm just taking this a day at a time so I've got no idea what regulations there can be this time next year 

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Surely masks are a non starter at a festival? People eating and drinking all day so it would be on and off constantly.

You’re probably right. They should still sell them now anyway. I’d get one for the bus

Got to reckon it’s no more than 50 / 50 for next year. Whilst almost every band in the world wants to tour next year , is that really possible with limited audience numbers for gigs still likely to be in place , travel restrictions etc . If they are not touring in general, rocking up for a one Glasto gig is unlikely. 

Really hard to see a gathering of 200k people happening unless there is a vaccine in play early next year. Public health authorities surely can’t allow a go at your own risk policy happen . 

People attending at risk under current terms is limited to them. Glastonbury proceeding at risk during a pandemic is different - it puts wider society at risk. Suggesting otherwise is churlish. Also, to expect people with tickets to voluntarily hand them in due to perceived nebulous risk to them and/or loved ones is preposterous. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

People attending at risk under current terms is limited to them. Glastonbury proceeding at risk during a pandemic is different - it puts wider society at risk. Suggesting otherwise is churlish. Also, to expect people with tickets to voluntarily hand them in due to perceived nebulous risk to them and/or loved ones is preposterous. 

So why aren’t we all still in complete lockdown then?