21 Event and bankruptcy

aj6658

Hi all, i dont want to be all doom and gloom but i thought i would bring up the below article 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/25/michael-eavis-glastonbury-will-go-bankrupt-if-it-cant-be-staged-in-2021-coronavirus

It indicates that if the 2021 event does not go ahead, there is a strong possibility of bankruptcy. 

What are peoples thoughts on whether the COVID 19 pandemic will continue deep into next year? 

I also was wondering what people thoughts of the size of the event. Obviously the cancelled 2020 event was supposed to be the 50th anniversary and with that we were expecting an extra special event.

I know they havent confirmed that ticket prices for the 21 event but i personally would be happy if they increased it to help shore up their balance sheet and be able  to put on a special show. 

What are peoples thoughts? 

sadly no matter how much we may want it - 2021 has to be in doubt as we are certainly not though this yet.

let me jump to Iceland - it will make sense at the end

Iceland has had 10 people die with the virus ' in total ' 

for weeks and weeks No one tested positive - there was no one in Hospital and no one in quarantine.

but a football player came back from the the USA on 17 June and tested negative for COVID-19 when she was screened at the border. She proceeded to play in several football matches after that. After it was discovered that she had come into contact with a COVID-infected person in the USA , however, the player was tested again for the virus and this time, the results came back positive. She is currently asymptomatic but has gone into quarantine, as have her teammates and coaches, as well as the teams that she played against and their coaches.

initially 70 people were put into quarantine but I have been told this has gone up to 415 and they have 12 people who have tested positive - although as of today no one is in Hospital with the virus.

so they thought they were out of the woods and they still got caught out.

we really just have to pray for a vaccine - this idea about testing at the gate will still let in some people who have it but it does not register with the test.

You don’t need a test to go to a supermarket or to the pub, though. The testing system for festivals would just be to get the numbers of infected people down to the smallest number possible. If Glastonbury had happened last weekend then without any intervention there would have been around 100-150 people infected based on the amount of infection currently amongst the population. If testing got that number down to under 50, then one year from now that may we’ll not be the issue it would be at the moment. Better treatments, more knowledge about how the virus spreads, existing T-cell protection, increased herd immunity etc.

21 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Hi all, i dont want to be all doom and gloom but i thought i would bring up the below article 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/25/michael-eavis-glastonbury-will-go-bankrupt-if-it-cant-be-staged-in-2021-coronavirus

It indicates that if the 2021 event does not go ahead, there is a strong possibility of bankruptcy. 

What are peoples thoughts on whether the COVID 19 pandemic will continue deep into next year? 

I also was wondering what people thoughts of the size of the event. Obviously the cancelled 2020 event was supposed to be the 50th anniversary and with that we were expecting an extra special event.

I know they havent confirmed that ticket prices for the 21 event but i personally would be happy if they increased it to help shore up their balance sheet and be able  to put on a special show. 

What are peoples thoughts? 

Can't see them putting the price up when people have paid a deposit as it will have said somewhere what the remaining balance will be. Effectively a contract innit.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Can't see them putting the price up when people have paid a deposit as it will have said somewhere what the remaining balance will be. Effectively a contract innit.

I think there will be an increase but not a huge one, just a similar one to what there is every year. 

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/a-statement-from-glastonbury-festival/

Screenshot_20200701-084221.png

6 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I think there will be an increase but not a huge one, just a similar one to what there is every year. 

Ah I see, so they still give you a chance to get a full refund if not happy with the increase. Makes sense.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah I see, so they still give you a chance to get a full refund if not happy with the increase. Makes sense.

Yeah, I think the cancellation cut off is the 19th. However, like I said in the other thread because people have to actively seek a refund, I can alot waiting till April to cancel via just not paying.

What kind of testing will they be doing on the gate? As far as I’m aware the only on the spot test they can do is a temperature test. 

There is one huge problem with that test in the middle of June. A mate of mine had a dentists appointment last week and her temperature was higher than average only because she was sat in a hot car for 40 minutes. She had to wait to cool down and retook the test before they let her in. 

If the day of entry is following the recent trends then the combination of hot days, moving lots of gear and being stuck in a metal and glass box for considerable time before entry is going to put a lot of us over the temp limit. 

If they do temp tests on entry then we better hope it rains. 

35 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You don’t need a test to go to a supermarket or to the pub, though. The testing system for festivals would just be to get the numbers of infected people down to the smallest number possible. If Glastonbury had happened last weekend then without any intervention there would have been around 100-150 people infected based on the amount of infection currently amongst the population. If testing got that number down to under 50, then one year from now that may we’ll not be the issue it would be at the moment. Better treatments, more knowledge about how the virus spreads, existing T-cell protection, increased herd immunity etc.

Yup that's the key point. If all things remained equal but case numbers were lower, it would probably still be an issue. All things won't remain equal though as you say. By next March (the point of no return most likely) we will have even more knowledge of the virus, more than likely have one additional (maybe more) treatment but crucially we'll have all the evidence from retail, restaurants, bars etc. on how to open things in as safe a manner as possible and festivals will have had a year to prepare themselves. It's also key to note how quickly things have moved forward in a relatively safe way. I didn't honestly think we'd have non-essential shops open by now, for example.

The world won't stand still for the virus forever. Personally I would try and save every life possible, even that means a prolonged lockdown, but we know the government will favour the economy at the end of the day. It's why I'm not a politician or an economist!

17 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What kind of testing will they be doing on the gate? As far as I’m aware the only on the spot test they can do is a temperature test. 

There is one huge problem with that test in the middle of June. A mate of mine had a dentists appointment last week and her temperature was higher than average only because she was sat in a hot car for 40 minutes. She had to wait to cool down and retook the test before they let her in. 

If the day of entry is following the recent trends then the combination of hot days, moving lots of gear and being stuck in a metal and glass box for considerable time before entry is going to put a lot of us over the temp limit. 

Testing will have moved on significantly by then. It probably wouldn’t be an on the gate test anyway, but of it was it would probably be an instant saliva based one. 

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Haha... on a hot entry day everyone is overheating and sweating like beasts from dragging all their crap in! 😂

6 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

The luxury that Glastonbury has compared to most other festivals, is that due to demand and fanbase, it can increase it's price a fair bit before people would start to complain.

At the moment it sits at just over £50 a day for campsite, amenities and plenty of activities. That's before you even start to think about the Friday to Sunday line up. Bargain.  

12 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

sadly no matter how much we may want it - 2021 has to be in doubt as we are certainly not though this yet.

let me jump to Iceland - it will make sense at the end

Iceland has had 10 people die with the virus ' in total ' 

for weeks and weeks No one tested positive - there was no one in Hospital and no one in quarantine.

but a football player came back from the the USA on 17 June and tested negative for COVID-19 when she was screened at the border. She proceeded to play in several football matches after that. After it was discovered that she had come into contact with a COVID-infected person in the USA , however, the player was tested again for the virus and this time, the results came back positive. She is currently asymptomatic but has gone into quarantine, as have her teammates and coaches, as well as the teams that she played against and their coaches.

initially 70 people were put into quarantine but I have been told this has gone up to 415 and they have 12 people who have tested positive - although as of today no one is in Hospital with the virus.

so they thought they were out of the woods and they still got caught out.

we really just have to pray for a vaccine - this idea about testing at the gate will still let in some people who have it but it does not register with the test.

I've got a holiday booked to Iceland in a few months so this made me nervous - I can't find anything about this story online anywhere though - can you provide the link please?

Cheers!

Just now, Wooderson said:

If peeps think there'll be 24/7 testing at Gates A-D with entry dependent upon negative test then i've a few bridges I'd like to palm off on you.

Yeah. It'd be difficult enough at a smaller festival where they can define the perimeter cleanly and contain everything.

At Glastonbury, where there's probably well over 60,000 people outside the fence between workers, CV, and glamping all going in and out at least once a day, it'd be insane.

It's not just Gates A-D either, I think at last count there's about 20 gates total many of which have unique usage and quirks.

2 minutes ago, morph100 said:

I’m gonna sell ice cubes outside gate C for you to rub on your forehead to guarantee entry 

I know you’re joking but people have been taking asprin before arriving at airports to help reduce the signs of fever. 

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah. It'd be difficult enough at a smaller festival where they can define the perimeter cleanly and contain everything.

At Glastonbury, where there's probably well over 60,000 people outside the fence between workers, CV, and glamping all going in and out at least once a day, it'd be insane.

It's not just Gates A-D either, I think at last count there's about 20 gates total many of which have unique usage and quirks.

100% I'm only talking about the gear-laden ticket holders. The builders/site workers/festival workers is a diff kettle of fish. Proposed testing systems don't work with anything close to festival's current processes and attendee-flows.

A less socially responsible event could play the "risk is on you lads, not me guv" card - fully expect this to happen elsewhere. But Glastonbury? With an 84 year old majordomo and Paul McCartney at the top of the bill. Nah. Melvin's "passporting" works for a 2 or 3 hour gig in a closed off venue. Glasters needs a vaccine.

27 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

I've got a holiday booked to Iceland in a few months so this made me nervous - I can't find anything about this story online anywhere though - can you provide the link please?

Cheers!

Why would you be worried ? as its far safer there than in the UK

They at least have been tracking everyone 

https://www.icelandreview.com/society/first-community-transmitted-covid-19-infection-in-two-months/

You are aware ' you will have to pay for the test ' ?

as per  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/iceland/entry-requirements

All passengers arriving by commercial flights in Iceland can chose to be tested for COVID-19 or self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. From 1st July, the testing fee will be ISK 11,000 (approximately £65) or ISK 9,000 (around £53) if booked in advance. 

your best to book in advance 

https://www.covid.is/categories/tourists-travelling-to-iceland

If you test positive on arrival you will be required to enter self-isolation (at your hotel or government-provided accommodation) unless further tests determine the infection is inactive. You may also need to be tested again or enter self-isolation if you are exposed to a possible infection during your trip e.g. during the flight to Iceland.

14 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

100% I'm only talking about the gear-laden ticket holders. The builders/site workers/festival workers is a diff kettle of fish. Proposed testing systems don't work with anything close to festival's current processes and attendee-flows.

A less socially responsible event could play the "risk is on you lads, not me guv" card - fully expect this to happen elsewhere. But Glastonbury? With an 84 year old majordomo and Paul McCartney at the top of the bill. Nah. Melvin's "passporting" works for a 2 or 3 hour gig in a closed off venue. Glasters needs a vaccine.

They’ve already said they’ll “piggy back” onto that system if they have to though.

I think you’re underestimating the steps the festival industry, Glastonbury included, might go to to save themselves from oblivion. FWIW I don’t think there will be a testing system on the gate, but do you honestly think they wouldn’t look at implementing it and adapting the festival to work around it if it was a choice between doing so or bankruptcy? Technology constantly moves on and evolves, there will be instant saliva swabs well before them so it isn’t completely unworkable.

Of course Glastonbury is an extremely ethical operation, but do you honestly feel they would only go ahead if there is zero risk of catching the virus there? If that’s the case then we’ve all probably gone to our last Glastonbury because even a vaccine is unlikely to completely get rid of CV, just help us to live alongside it a bit better.

1 minute ago, glasto-worker said:

Why would you be worried ? as its far safer there than in the UK

They at least have been tracking everyone 

https://www.icelandreview.com/society/first-community-transmitted-covid-19-infection-in-two-months/

You are aware ' you will have to pay for the test ' ?

as per  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/iceland/entry-requirements

All passengers arriving by commercial flights in Iceland can chose to be tested for COVID-19 or self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. From 1st July, the testing fee will be ISK 11,000 (approximately £65) or ISK 9,000 (around £53) if booked in advance. 

your best to book in advance 

https://www.covid.is/categories/tourists-travelling-to-iceland

If you test positive on arrival you will be required to enter self-isolation (at your hotel or government-provided accommodation) unless further tests determine the infection is inactive. You may also need to be tested again or enter self-isolation if you are exposed to a possible infection during your trip e.g. during the flight to Iceland.

Oh yeah, I was completely unconcerned before. I meant worried about them changing their entry policies if there had been an outbreak following this footballer story you mentioned.