Would 2020 have been a good one?

blutarsky

Would 2020 have been a good one?   

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would 2020 have been ‘a good year’ if it had gone ahead?

• Best one ever (we know what you think Michael)
    • Definitely
    • Mostly
    • 50/50
    • Probably not
    • Definitely not

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/2020 at 10:59 PM

Of course the obvious answer is yes, any Glastonbury is a good Glastonbury, but how good would it have been? 

From a weather point of view it’s worth getting a local’s perspective, @deebeedoobee @pilton digger . 

If the festival site was where I live, Wednesday and Thursday would have been belting, bordering on ‘too hot’, Friday night got very wet and Saturday and Sunday were very windy, to the extent my tent took off. Would definitely have made things a bit more difficult if it was here, but it may have been different in Pilton. 

As far as headliners go, I think Kendrick would have been a moment - his set would have been so relevant and I just think it would have struck a chord. 

I reckon T-Swizz would have commanded the crowd and delivered. Not so sure about Macca as I’m not a huge fan, but I’m sure he’d have had the sense to pack his set with Beatles hits and we’d have had an enjoyable sing along. 

I was personally expecting Pangea and Glastonbury-on-Sea to have improved and hopefully with another year they will take even bigger steps forward. Was also curious to see what replaced the Beat Hotel, anyone know what was planned?

On a personal note Thursday night at Williams Green would probably have been my highlight, and there were some belting electronic acts I’d have had lined up for myself. 

I was also hoping to bag an open slot at P&W which would have been incredible if it had happened. 

In short I’d say it would have been great, but not at 2017 levels of perfection for me. I know it’s an impossible question to answer really, but what do you all reckon? 

Edited by blutarsky

The line-up was superb for me, certainly the best since 2016.

I actually think the weather is irrelevant. Given the massive impact caused by Colvid-19, and specifically the huge reduction in transport and emissions, chaos theory dictates that the weather over the weekend could have turned out totally different had the festival gone ahead. I suspect it probably would have been dry all weekend, little wind, with heavy cloud every morning until at least 10:00 to keep the tents nice and cool, before clearing up into blue skies with temperatures hovering around a lovely 23 C and perfect sunsets every evening,

Also... on paper the festival looks brilliant, but we don't know all the secret sets and special guests that would have happened. What secret sets would we have got, Metallica, Coldplay? Would Macca have some special guests?

And what about all the spontaneous things that just can't be planned? eg. Alex.

I know that it would have. For me personally it would have been the best lineup I'd seen, and I am sorely upset that the headliners at least may not be seen next year.

But the good thing is that none of us "missed it". It just didn't happen. The countdown to 2021 (which will be so so special in itself because of events this year) starts here.

50 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

No doubt it would have been great. But it would now be over now. But it will be rolled over in 2021 so technically is still to happen and is now something we can look forward to!

It's the first ever Monday after the festival that I know I have tickets for the next one!

This is a great way to think about it!

• Upvote 1

Without the positive spin. This year would have been special for me for a lot of reasons that wont be able to be recreated. It was the weekend of my 10th anniversary of my first Glasto (2010) and would have been the last one I had without being a dad. But I guess next year i'll be thankful for the rest and may sleep through the whole thing :D

It would’ve been epic as always. Kendrick would’ve been something else assuming everything else panned out the same way with George Floyd etc.

But as has been pointed out, for anyone with a ticket that sinking feeling of suddenly being ticketless for the first time doesn’t exist. No need to live in purgatory for those three months of the year with your attendance for the next one in doubt.

With a lot of 2021 already booked and live music being wiped off the face of the planet in 2020, there is also the potential for 2021 to be something truly beyond comprehension in terms of quality. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

The initial lineup poster was an early indicator that this year would’ve been an all timer, and the weather, despite the odd spell of rain, looked great as well. It stings, but right now I’ll just focus on how much of a bag of shit I would currently be feeling like and the sheer hell the upcoming week would be from the post-festival blues to having to go back to work. I’ve still got the week booked off so I’m gonna make sure I fill it with the joy I wouldn’t be capable of if the festival had happened.

So basically, fuck this year, and bring on 2021. We’re at the halfway point now! Now to just get me a ticket...

The weather, the line-up and the general euphoria/celebration about the site turning 50... would have been wonderful. I can't say it would have been the best ever as often those  moments have sprung from group moments, or feelings during specific sets or other things ;)