I messed up! Learn from my mistake.

Woffy

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

Don't feel like you need to follow your group to see someone you don't like. 

Yes!! It is also shit for the person you are with. I've had many a set ruined by a friend who doesn't want to be there tagging along. I get self-conscious about singing/ really getting into it when they don't know any of the words and are just half-heartedly clapping along or stood in bored silence. 

Most of us have phones now, just go to one of the other 199 stages and enjoy yourself and meet them back later.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hubbie and I have hired vans over the years for the festival and stay in East. A few years ago we did the usual thing. A couple of days in I realised I had booked the hire a day short! I tried to book the extra day but the van was needed for the Monday. So Sunday afternoon we had to pack up and leave. No Sunday night headliner, no saying a proper goodbye on the Monday. I was devastated and cried a lot travelling along the A303! 

So lesson learnt....check dates over and over if you book anything!  Xxx

Yes... you do need a pillow. I know it might feel excessive to bring one but trust me you won’t regret having one! I honestly don’t know how people do festivals without one. A blow up pillow / a jacket just doesn’t cut it. Needs to be a proper pillow.

I know sleep isn’t a massive thing but the occasional winks you do catch are much better when you have a proper pillow.

Honestly I can’t stress how important it is to bring one. It really helps the entire weekend. Everyone always comments on my pillow collection at festivals but it’s usually a “gah wish I brought that”.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 4

Don't go to the Brothers tent after pitching in searing heat without food and down three pints. All the overnight queueing and exertions of getting in and setting up and not eating had taken it out of me and in my excitement didn't listen to my head on food. On the way to eat we got side tracked by the Brothers. Remember getting carried to my tent a dumped face down in the entrance to awake on Thursday morning!

19 minutes ago, Dillyblue said:

Hubbie and I have hired vans over the years for the festival and stay in East. A few years ago we did the usual thing. A couple of days in I realised I had booked the hire a day short! I tried to book the extra day but the van was needed for the Monday. So Sunday afternoon we had to pack up and leave. No Sunday night headliner, no saying a proper goodbye on the Monday. I was devastated and cried a lot travelling along the A303! 

Oh dear! 😲

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes... you do need a pillow. I know it might feel excessive to bring one but trust me you won’t regret having one! I honestly don’t know how people do festivals without one. A blow up pillow / a jacket just doesn’t cut it. Needs to be a proper pillow.

I know sleep isn’t a massive thing but the occasional winks you do catch are much better when you have a proper pillow.

Honestly I can’t stress how important it is to bring one. It really helps the entire weekend. Everyone always comments on my pillow collection at festivals but it’s usually a “gah wish I brought that”.

If you're not going to get much sleep make sure the sleep you get is quality sleep.

54 minutes ago, Dillyblue said:

This is so grim. 

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Another mistake I’ve just realised I’ve made is spending all of today watching the coverage on iPlayer. I had gone most of the weekend trying to ignore it all in the fear it would be too upsetting.

I can confirm today hasn’t helped in any way.

u joining us later ? we need clarity ... of sound .... maybe not of mind ;) 

12 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Another mistake I’ve just realised I’ve made is spending all of today watching the coverage on iPlayer. I had gone most of the weekend trying to ignore it all in the fear it would be too upsetting.

I can confirm today hasn’t helped in any way.

Mine was the opposite. I avoided sets i hadn’t seen for fear of being jealous that i wasn’t there to watch it live (first year was 2013). In reality all i was doing was depriving myself of it twice. Stevie wonder, Rolling Stones and 2013 Chic all watched over the weekend and am so happy i did.

Not taking enough pictures is my regret. Not of bands but of people you meet, places you go etc.

Also not using the lock ups at all

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

The man speaks the truth. 

First festival in 2007, the year of torrential rain, I had a roll mat, an awful sleeping bag and a (wet) jumper for a pillow. 

Luckily I met my wife and since then it’s been air bed, quilt (vacuum packed) and pillow. Plus eye mask and silicone ear plugs. 

Game changer. 

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also if you can don’t share a tent with others unless you really really like them.

Cannot stress this one enough, I was even planning on a separate tent from the girlfriend this year , I like my space, my little cesspit I call home for the week

My tip - Do not nick a bottle from your mate's tent thinking it's a pre made drink, when actually you need add lemonade to it to turn it into a cocktail.

A. It tastes like Battery acid without lemonade

B. You'll get that pissed you fall over people at the stone circle & end up falling asleep in a pile of mud.

19 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Don't go with an ex (or arrange to meet up with one at any point). 

EDIT: Having said that...didn't this work out very well for one efester?? Was it @Homer?

Ha - touched your remembered! Depends if you regard being married now as being a plus 🤔. Make the rule: ‘don’t go with an ex... unless you split up involuntarily as one of you had to move 12,000 miles away and you both secretly still love each other’ (apologies, am on the wine).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Last year I made error after error... 

1. I worked 9-5 Tuesday, then helped drive down through the night from Leeds, set up and do all of Wednesday in that heat all without sleeping. Set me off in a bad way for the weekend. 

2. Hit the harder things in life too early multiple days in a row, leading me to not eating. Add into that the booze and lack of sleep and I was a mess. Lost my bag. Had to go to my tent a third of the way through Jon Hopkins. All round disaster. 

3. Tried to keep my Sunday going too hard and couldn't fulfill my half of the drive home Monday. Ended up genuinely ill, couldn't even hold down water til Wednesday. Had a job interview on Thursday; luckily managed to get through that and be successful. 

Don't go to see a band that you've never been that bothered about just because they are a legend especially if they are headlining the Pyramid stage. You are better off going to see things you love in the first place. Ended up leaving after 5 songs because everyone around me was chatting more than listening and when you're not that keen in the first place this isn't the atmosphere that will set your heart alight.