I messed up! Learn from my mistake.

Woffy

I'm sure most people have made the mistake of trying to carry too much in one trip.  First festival tried it and it was a killer, especially getting to the top of Michaels Mead.  Lesson learnt and since have done 2 or 3 trips on day 1 then a stroll back to the car each morning to get more cider.

Also last year was a reality check with the heat, didn't use sun cream enough and should've rehydrated a lot more early doors.  Will be a lot more prepared for next years heatwave! 

7 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I'm sure most people have made the mistake of trying to carry too much in one trip.  First festival tried it and it was a killer, especially getting to the top of Michaels Mead.  Lesson learnt and since have done 2 or 3 trips on day 1 then a stroll back to the car each morning to get more cider.

Also last year was a reality check with the heat, didn't use sun cream enough and should've rehydrated a lot more early doors.  Will be a lot more prepared for next years heatwave! 

I'm the opposite! I once did a few trips to the car and just felt like it was a chunk of of Glastonbury that I was missing.

Tbf tho, I have a trolley and I don't really take that much booze cos im not a huge drinker so it probably wasn't worth it for me

1 minute ago, Wellyboot said:

I'm the opposite! I once did a few trips to the car and just felt like it was a chunk of of Glastonbury that I was missing.

Tbf tho, I have a trolley and I don't really take that much booze cos im not a huge drinker so it probably wasn't worth it for me

We're pretty much all set up by 12:30-13:00 on the Wednesday and that's with a trip back to the car. I'm an early riser so the morning walk is quite nice as the site is fairly quiet and my mates are still asleep, granted the better weather makes it a lot easier.

I've toyed with the idea of a trolley but as there are 3 of us in the car there very little room left for anything else.

4 minutes ago, Padgey said:

We're pretty much all set up by 12:30-13:00 on the Wednesday and that's with a trip back to the car. I'm an early riser so the morning walk is quite nice as the site is fairly quiet and my mates are still asleep, granted the better weather makes it a lot easier.

I've toyed with the idea of a trolley but as there are 3 of us in the car there very little room left for anything else.

Oh yeah, my trolley sides come off but 3 people + 3 people's stuff there's not room for a trolley too. Well, I have done it, but we were VERY squashed!

You have a nice little routine going :) I bet your mates love you, they go to bed, wake up and there's more booze!!

17 hours ago, noam c said:

Done 10  Glastonburys.  The best thing that works for me is to find a gap in the afternoon each day that I can miss out on.  I sleep for about 2-3 hours.  Usually between 4-6pm.  This way I wake up fresh, change to evening/night clothes and can easily last until 4am.

Also, when the headliners in the main stages aren't very appealing to me / the headliner I choose ends before main stages end, I go to SE corner (usually Block9) before the end of the sets in the main stages.  This way you skip the queues and start the late night part easy. That's an experience in its own right.

So I kinda missed the part of where I messed up and jumped ahead with my solution. so here goes.  First few Glastonburys I didn't want to miss out a second and by the time the headliners were done I was completely beat.  I thought I'd head off to the tent, rest a little bit, let the queues wind down and then go out again.  This never happened. I always crashed out and slept until morning missing out on a huge chunk of the festival.  When I finally did try and head off to the SE corner the queues would drain me and by the time I got to any venue I lost the vibe for anything and just headed back to the tent feeling tired and drained, telling myself to never ever do that again.  Now continue with the solution above 😆 

I'd also like to add that it is surprisingly quiet in the 4-6ish PM at the tents and surprisingly easy to catch a nap.  Full disclosure, I am not a person who takes naps mid day ever in real life.

Just couldn't do that. Not a chance. I'm way too giddy for the week to contemplate going back to the tent never mind the sleeping bit. Tend to sleep from 3/4 am till about 6 or 7 and just power on through with Berrocca Boost carried in day sack to give a lift when required. 

Power sleep through the Tuesday and back in work Wednesday. 

• Like 1

My best mate made a point to me last year which has stuck with me.

Every Friday me and him tend to stay up late and explore the site whilst drink. Wandering aimlessly. Always have loads of fun despite a lot of stuff not yet being open. 

A few nights later in 2019 we did the same with our entire group and got the feeling people were feeling “when is the fun gonna start?” as if we had to be in 1 particular place to have fun rather than walking around discovering things on the off chance.

Hard to explain what I mean but don’t try to force fun, it’ll happen naturally. Also don’t feel like being in your group is necessarily for the best.

10 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Just couldn't do that. Not a chance. I'm way too giddy for the week to contemplate going back to the tent never mind the sleeping bit. Tend to sleep from 3/4 am till about 6 or 7 and just power on through with Berrocca Boost carried in day sack to give a lift when required. 

Power sleep through the Tuesday and back in work Wednesday. 

I hear ya. I envy you that you can do that.

1 minute ago, noam c said:

I hear ya. I envy you that you can do that.

I think it was getting use to running on empty on operational tours when in the Armed Forces. Kind of conditioned me for life on finding the inner strength of just being able to crack on. And on and on. I left in 2012 and am now the other side of fifty but refuse to get older sensibly.

Fuck that shit...

3 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I think it was getting use to running on empty on operational tours when in the Armed Forces. Kind of conditioned me for life on finding the inner strength of just being able to crack on. And on and on. I left in 2012 and am now the other side of fifty but refuse to get older sensibly.

Fuck that shit...

That's impressive.  I'll be crossing the big five o next year and feel quite the same about your refusing to get older sensibly. I mean why the hell??  I'll keep going as long as the ticket gods allow.

19 hours ago, noam c said:

So I kinda missed the part of where I messed up and jumped ahead with my solution. so here goes.  First few Glastonburys I didn't want to miss out a second and by the time the headliners were done I was completely beat.  I thought I'd head off to the tent, rest a little bit, let the queues wind down and then go out again.  This never happened. I always crashed out and slept until morning missing out on a huge chunk of the festival.  When I finally did try and head off to the SE corner the queues would drain me and by the time I got to any venue I lost the vibe for anything and just headed back to the tent feeling tired and drained, telling myself to never ever do that again.  Now continue with the solution above 😆 

I'd also like to add that it is surprisingly quiet in the 4-6ish PM at the tents and surprisingly easy to catch a nap.  Full disclosure, I am not a person who takes naps mid day ever in real life.

I have been known to do this time as I struggle otherwise to keep going - especially if it’s a muddy one - just to get a rest. Camping in KM I can usually hear what ever is on pyramid from the tent. Can also change for the evening, grab a snack or top up booze. Last year was too hot to sleep so washed my hair instead as the water carrier had inadvertently heated up in the tent so it was spot on for a hair wash ( ps don’t try and drink water left in a very hot tent !!) 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Sooo... I just came across this thread slightly randomly thanks to a user being tagged in another thread... 

But I think it's great, has some good tips for first timers (repeat visitors) so thought I'd give it a bumpy bump... 

On 6/3/2023 at 11:26 AM, offmytrolley said:

I don't think there would have been ground coffee and I don't remember any sparkling water either. Remember everything sold has to be in non-plastic containers, so plastic bottles of fizzy water wouldn't be allowed to be sold on site, and I think the canned water everywhere sells at Glasto was only still.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, parsonjack said:

2007.....stayed to watch that terrible Killers set as we couldn't be arsed to walk in the mud to Jazz World to see John Fogerty.  Regretted it ever since.  The lesson being to not let the weather or conditions stop you doing something you may never get the opportunity to do again.

On the upside, we seen John Fogerty that night & planned to go see The Killers... The mud was horrendous and we said 'f**k it.' We'll watch what was own here.' It was Rodrigo y Gabriela. We'd never heard or knew of them. They were awesome.

Not a mistake but learn to go with the flow. We had a better night then we had if we'd gone to the pyramid.

As an aside, if there's nothing you fancy, headline or other time, heard to the whole Cabaret/ Circus/ Theatre  fields. There's always something to entertain and enjoy. All day and into the early hours. It's a joy x

Edited by Baby On A Stick
  • Upvote 1

2008. We were going to drive home on the Sunday after the last headliner as due to fly out to Greece on the Monday to get married.

Saturday evening I realised I hadn't touched the whisky flask I had brought. Wouldn't be able to touch it on Sunday if driving home so decided to drink it all in the evening, got way too drunk and missed Jay-Z...

On 7/20/2020 at 8:45 AM, Padgey said:

I can expand on this. When I camped, we did the "carry everything in one trip" method. Which, especially when you are there early and queuing, is honestly exhausting.

The last year I camped, we decided on multiple trips. And - absolutely key - travel light the first time around, ESPECIALLY if you are queuing. Just take your tent set up.

• Less trudging with all your stuff.
  • No faffing for tickets / wristbands / having programmes thrown at you when your hands are full.
  • You can then traverse the site FAR quicker to get to the prime camping spot that you are queuing for.
  • You can knock up the tent without worrying about keeping an eye on all your other stuff.
  • You then return to your car, load up all your clothes / booze, and saunter in through the passout entrance without stopping, but also can walk more leisurely back to the pitch.

I think we arrived around 6-7am, got set up and completed the return trip by 1pm, with significantly more energy than zapping everything out of us first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. 

It's something I don't share that much because if everyone did it, it wouldn't work. But I'm not camping this year so knock yourselves out. You can thank me later 😉

• Upvote 1

Just a cautionary tale on the "don't hang around your partner the whole time" people. I suggested this ten years ago. I think I may have gone as far as saying my favourite times at Glastonbury were when I was on my own. I got absolutely pasted for saying this. Some suggested that I might need to review my marriage.

We split up a couple of years later...

Previous years I had gone with my partner and we had a pretty chilled time. Last year was solo and charged around like a man possessed between sets to max out my wish list. I struggled to make it past 2am and missed quite a bit of late night laughs.

This year I'm solo-ish again, I've got to find a middle ground, and I like the idea of a mid afternoon power snooze to recharge.

Reading all the ticket horror stories I'm extremely pleased to be going by coach, with nothing but a working phone and the email required.

From personal experience:

- Don't lug a heavy tent you last used at another festival all the way across the site in 30+ degree heat, only to find it has poles missing and you have to go and spend ££££ on new tents for you and your mate in the marketplace 

- Don't buy food there's even the remotest chance your stomach isn't going to agree with. I chanced an egg roll on the Thursday morning last year and spent the next 4 hours throwing it up into a bin bag. I don't react well to undercooked eggs so this was a risk too far for me

-Pack light but make sure you have enough warm layers for nighttime

-Don't get overexcited at the hotel with your mates the night before (if you're doing that) and have to do the journey/tent set up with a hangover the following morning. Happened to me last year and has a very real possibility of happening again this year if I don't rein it in

Last year, I couldn't sleep the night before out of excitement.  I decided to pull an all nighter, and by 9am on my way in the gates, I had regretted it.  I think I'm too old for all nighters now. Even an hour's sleep would've made the load in better.  

6 hours ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

Went to listen to Baggy Mondays and as i`d already had a few took just a bottle of orange Lucozade with me, turns out it wasn`t Lucozade it was Rum, drunk it anyway.......... bad mistake 🙂 

Had a similar experience back in my drinking days. Picked up the wrong bottle, the neat gin rather than the G&T.

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2023 at 11:36 AM, ICGenie said:

I can expand on this. When I camped, we did the "carry everything in one trip" method. Which, especially when you are there early and queuing, is honestly exhausting.

The last year I camped, we decided on multiple trips. And - absolutely key - travel light the first time around, ESPECIALLY if you are queuing. Just take your tent set up.

• Less trudging with all your stuff.
  • No faffing for tickets / wristbands / having programmes thrown at you when your hands are full.
  • You can then traverse the site FAR quicker to get to the prime camping spot that you are queuing for.
  • You can knock up the tent without worrying about keeping an eye on all your other stuff.
  • You then return to your car, load up all your clothes / booze, and saunter in through the passout entrance without stopping, but also can walk more leisurely back to the pitch.

I think we arrived around 6-7am, got set up and completed the return trip by 1pm, with significantly more energy than zapping everything out of us first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. 

It's something I don't share that much because if everyone did it, it wouldn't work. But I'm not camping this year so knock yourselves out. You can thank me later 😉

Still the same routine for me this year but the first trip is to take in 5 tents and put them up as I'll be there a lot earlier than my mates traveling from North Yorkshire.