I messed up! Learn from my mistake.

Woffy

11 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

The bar in the Theatre and circus field (near to gate C) opposite Astolobe, and near to the summer sensations stage, excellent Indie nights till I think 2am or is it 3 am  (or 1am or maybe 2am  on the Sunday) but great for a few hours post headliner

Seriously didn't know that existed. This has just gone into my memo's for next year.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:34 PM, chazwwe said:

Don't feel like you need to follow your group to see someone you don't like. 

Absolutely. I feel like so many people at Glastonbury are constantly looking for friends or worried they've lost them. Obviously there's an element of safety in sticking with friends, and everyone is free to enjoy it how they see fit, but once you realise you can have an incredible time on your own it really frees you up. Ended up on my own for Radiohead in 17 and it was the best experience I've had at the festival. 

Make sure you're enjoying yourself and not just staying with a group for the sake of it. As someone with incredibly low self confidence I know it can be tough to go solo, but Glastonbury is too good to waste time doing things you're not interested in for the sake of staying with a group. In a way you have a deeper connection with the place when you're outside of the friendship comfort blanket, and you very quickly make new friends anyway.

Edited by jparx

2009 on the Weds I went for the second run up  to the car in East and to avoid carrying my neices’s wellies I decided to wear them back  down to the site. they were a size too big and I had thin socks on. By the time I got back to the tent I had the biggest blisters on both soles which made it difficult to walk far. I had to ring my cousin who was arriving on the Friday and ask her to bring some blister plasters and insoles for my own wellies. 🙄

16 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I call this my no compromises rule. I decide where I will be for any time during the festival. (Friday to Sunday) If anyone wants to join me and listen to the music they are more than welcome but I don't want to spend time hanging around waiting or watching something that wasn't my choice. My husband and I have similar taste and he's less knowledgeable about music than me so will usually just trust my opinion but we have gone our own ways before and would think nothing of doing it again. There's nothing worse than someone coming along who doesn't want to be there and their miserable face ruins the moment for you. 

This is one of the reasons I like solo gigs and sets so much (the other being people trying to have conversations during sets).  I've got a couple of mates who do find it hard to hide the fact they're not having a good time, but also tend not to just say "this ain't for me, I'll meet you at xxx after it finishes" and bugger off.

Trouble with that is that I find it really breaks the spell and pulls me out of the moment, and instead of enjoying the set I'm just very conscious that they're standing there with a face like a smacked arse!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

This is one of the reasons I like solo gigs and sets so much (the other being people trying to have conversations during sets).  I've got a couple of mates who do find it hard to hide the fact they're not having a good time, but also tend not to just say "this ain't for me, I'll meet you at xxx after it finishes" and bugger off.

Trouble with that is that I find it really breaks the spell and pulls me out of the moment, and instead of enjoying the set I'm just very conscious that they're standing there with a face like a smacked arse!

Absolutely. My sister-in-law once came to a gig with us and just sat down with her arms folded and a face like a slapped arse for the entire thing. I couldn't enjoy myself because I kept glancing her out of the corner of my eye. Needless to say she must have even annoyed my brother-in-law because he has joined us for a couple of gigs since but never her. They'd never cope with Glastonbury so thankfully that space is sacred. 

If it's been my recommendation as well I also feel partially responsible if they are not enjoying themselves so I hate that as well. 

10 hours ago, jparx said:

Absolutely. I feel like so many people at Glastonbury are constantly looking for friends or worried they've lost them. Obviously there's an element of safety in sticking with friends, and everyone is free to enjoy it how they see fit, but once you realise you can have an incredible time on your own it really frees you up. Ended up on my own for Radiohead in 17 and it was the best experience I've had at the festival. 

Make sure you're enjoying yourself and not just staying with a group for the sake of it. As someone with incredibly low self confidence I know it can be tough to go solo, but Glastonbury is too good to waste time doing things you're not interested in for the sake of staying with a group. In a way you have a deeper connection with the place when you're outside of the friendship comfort blanket, and you very quickly make new friends anyway

Absolutely This!! I went with my friend in 2016 just the 2 of us, first time at Glastonbury and maybe was a bit overwhelming the size and did feel an urge to stay together. Ended up spending most of Sunday at pyramid cause my friend had good spot for Coldplay, Don't get me wrong was an AMAZING gig but felt like a good chunk of afternoon wasted waiting around but didn't have confidence to go alone if wanted to leave.

Thankfully managed to get resale ticket in 2017 and go with friends we had made in 2016.Not much for me Saturday afternoon that I ended up roaming a few smaller stages myself and sat with a pizza watching the festival go by and was honesty such an amazing time myself before reconnecting with my pals for the evening antics. Like you say, started to feel a connection and love the festival even more in that moment

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Absolutely. My sister-in-law once came to a gig with us and just sat down with her arms folded and a face like a slapped arse for the entire thing. I couldn't enjoy myself because I kept glancing her out of the corner of my eye. Needless to say she must have even annoyed my brother-in-law because he has joined us for a couple of gigs since but never her. They'd never cope with Glastonbury so thankfully that space is sacred. 

If it's been my recommendation as well I also feel partially responsible if they are not enjoying themselves so I hate that as well. 

Nothing worse than close proximity to a fun sponge when you're trying to get your groove on! :D

• Upvote 1

Don't get so smashed on the Wednesday (2017 in the heat) you all agree to meet your pal who is arriving at 9pm in the car park to carry your beer back to the tent, head off to gate D, having a great time, till you realise the mission you have embarked on as he is parked a million miles away. Get our beers, carry far too many as the thought of going back there the next day is not good, struggle along sobering up, all of us split up, get to the ticket gates and cant find your pass out - Dudes its brutal.

Sat in an area for 2 hours while they checked out my situation - grim grim times, finally got the news I was fine to go back in, i had soon sobered up - what a wake up call. Was a nice feeling being let back in though

Also - don't leave your ticket in your pocket on a hot day, so it basically gets rubbed clean, this did not help my situation, as you couldn't see my picture. Brutal.

Man alive i went even more wild that festival than normal. The joys of being there. My friends (so called) love this story, even though at the time they were gutted as they had no idea where i was, and the stewards they asked kept saying its doubtful she'll get back in if shes not back here yet!!

Another one for the check your trolley tyres.  2014 I think, walking from E18  with a sack trolley loaded with beer and loads of other heavy stuff for my wife, son and his mate about half way to gate C both tyres had punctured (it was a decent trolley, but I'd had it a while).  My son and his mate had gone on ahead to get the tents up as our group had warned that space was vanishing quickly.  I then proceeded to drag it the rest of the way to Kidney Mead.  I remember one of my friends meeting us near the bottom of Muddy Lane and taking pity on me and helping.  My shoulder muscles were a state for days.

Another one is if you're going to drink lots of cider from the cider bus and also have a few Brothers pear, with very little food, do not risk trying a sneaky fart.  A friend told me this one, obviously

5 hours ago, Perks said:

Don't get so smashed on the Wednesday (2017 in the heat) you all agree to meet your pal who is arriving at 9pm in the car park to carry your beer back to the tent, head off to gate D, having a great time, till you realise the mission you have embarked on as he is parked a million miles away. Get our beers, carry far too many as the thought of going back there the next day is not good, struggle along sobering up, all of us split up, get to the ticket gates and cant find your pass out - Dudes its brutal.

Sat in an area for 2 hours while they checked out my situation - grim grim times, finally got the news I was fine to go back in, i had soon sobered up - what a wake up call. Was a nice feeling being let back in though

Also - don't leave your ticket in your pocket on a hot day, so it basically gets rubbed clean, this did not help my situation, as you couldn't see my picture. Brutal.

Man alive i went even more wild that festival than normal. The joys of being there. My friends (so called) love this story, even though at the time they were gutted as they had no idea where i was, and the stewards they asked kept saying its doubtful she'll get back in if shes not back here yet!!

Blimey that is a cautionary tale. Happy ending though

Talking of dodgy shoulders. Don’t be putting 8 cans of alcohol in one of those small drawstring bags. It may be able to take the weight but your shoulders won’t like you afterwards. Get yourself a nice sturdy small rucksack with decent straps for carrying your beer around in. 

Don't forget to eat, especially if you're gonna indulge on the naughties. I'm a fat bastard and even I forget to eat a lot of the time, especially when it's hot and you just don't feel like it. 

General rule of thumb in our group is to ensure someone's had at least 2, ideally 3 meals before they indulge on anything stronger than a beer and a smoke. 

Often find myself having a big bowl of Paella for lunch every day, full of veg and meat plus decent carbs. And it slips down really easily so it's perfect for when you know you have to eat but don't actually fancy it. 

Don't walk past a clean toilet, even if you don't feel like you have to go. Similarly if you're passing a tap with no queue, make sure all your water bottles are full, you don't know when you'll next get the opportunity for it. 

9 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Don't forget to eat, especially if you're gonna indulge on the naughties. I'm a fat bastard and even I forget to eat a lot of the time, especially when it's hot and you just don't feel like it. 

General rule of thumb in our group is to ensure someone's had at least 2, ideally 3 meals before they indulge on anything stronger than a beer and a smoke. 

Often find myself having a big bowl of Paella for lunch every day, full of veg and meat plus decent carbs. And it slips down really easily so it's perfect for when you know you have to eat but don't actually fancy it. 

This 100%.

Did 6 festivals in my 20s. Big groups of us, so lots of peer pressure. 

Would end up “cracking a can” not long after waking up. Straight back on it every day, barely eating a thing all weekend. 

I’ve done 4 festivals in my 30s. My rule has been zero booze until I’ve had two meals. 

Usually wake up, have a litre of water with some rehydration salts, followed by a brew and brekkie.

Keep chugging water and then have lunch. 

Normally the first cider will go down about 2-3pm. Probably grab some more food around 5ish before getting involved with the heavier stuff.

Can easily party until 5-6am instead of being dead on my feet by 2am.

Guess which festivals I have enjoyed the most?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nikkic said:

This 100%.

Did 6 festivals in my 20s. Big groups of us, so lots of peer pressure. 

Would end up “cracking a can” not long after waking up. Straight back on it every day, barely eating a thing all weekend. 

I’ve done 4 festivals in my 30s. My rule has been zero booze until I’ve had two meals. 

Usually wake up, have a litre of water with some rehydration salts, followed by a brew and brekkie.

Keep chugging water and then have lunch. 

Normally the first cider will go down about 2-3pm. Probably grab some more food around 5ish before getting involved with the heavier stuff.

Can easily party until 5-6am instead of being dead on my feet by 2am.

Guess which festivals I have enjoyed the most?

This is impressively disciplined nikkic, I’m in my 40s and I don’t do this. One meal a day is all I manage and it’s deffo after booze. No wonder I’m suffering for a week when I get home.

5 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

This is impressively disciplined nikkic, I’m in my 40s and I don’t do this. One meal a day is all I manage and it’s deffo after booze. No wonder I’m suffering for a week when I get home.

Just went too crazy in my 20s. 

It was fun at the time, but looking back I missed out on a lot. Barely went to the SE Corner for instance (and I love dance music). Would see the headliners and then sit for hours at the Stone Circle.

I’d also feel like shit for weeks afterwards.

This way I can party all night and and am normally back on good form the Tuesday after the festival. 

15 hours ago, amfy said:

Don’t just smoke something that is passed to you without asking what is in it. 

That didn’t go well for me.

Just don't smoke/drink/snort/pop anything that you're not 100% about.

I was proffered a long smokable once after a particularly trying situation (I can remember the set but I'm not going to mention it). I asked, "Is that just what I think it is? Just that? No funny powder business? Cheers mate. Just what I needed". 

Who knows what the fuck was in it really?

41 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Just don't smoke/drink/snort/pop anything that you're not 100% about.

I was proffered a long smokable once after a particularly trying situation (I can remember the set but I'm not going to mention it). I asked, "Is that just what I think it is? Just that? No funny powder business? Cheers mate. Just what I needed". 

Who knows what the fuck was in it really?

I think that me and my wife were given a joint last week that may have had 'something' a little extra than dope in it. To be honest the bloke who gave it to us (whilst we were social distancing) is the local smack head. My wife had one drag and it blew her brains out. I had two to three drags and it blew my brains out. We both had to leave and go to bed immediately. Maybe it was very strong super skunk type dope. Not sure. I know that no dope I've ever had before has done that to me before. Yes, I've had whiteouts etc, but they've always taken much more time and dope abuse than this 'episode'. I hope that it was just super skunk, because I don't like the idea of being Mickey Finn'ed.

• 3 weeks later...

Done 10  Glastonburys.  The best thing that works for me is to find a gap in the afternoon each day that I can miss out on.  I sleep for about 2-3 hours.  Usually between 4-6pm.  This way I wake up fresh, change to evening/night clothes and can easily last until 4am.

Also, when the headliners in the main stages aren't very appealing to me / the headliner I choose ends before main stages end, I go to SE corner (usually Block9) before the end of the sets in the main stages.  This way you skip the queues and start the late night part easy. That's an experience in its own right.

• Upvote 3