I messed up! Learn from my mistake.

Woffy

On 6/28/2020 at 11:23 AM, The Red Telephone said:

The unremitting rain and tiredness after trudging through endless mud made me leave early on the Sunday one year. I got out easily enough and was showered and in my bed by 1am on the Monday.

My advice is don’t do this. 

Watching all of the incredible stuff on iPlayer this weekend has made me realise even more what a fucking incredible place that corner of Somerset is in late June. And what I may have missed.

Always keep partying or wandering until the early hours of Monday. You never know when you’re going to be able to attend again,

100% correct , squeeze out every last drop you can get 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Luigi said:

Where’s the best place after hours for pop and indie music? Not a big dance fan and have found it hard to find anything else in the past!

I want to say Williams Green does some of that. Otherwise the silent discos around site would be a good shout.

But I'd just hit up some bars. I had an amazing night back in 2016 when me and my brother were just in a bar near the Other Stage for some reason - not even a fancy or well known one - but they were just playing bangers and people were dancing on tables. Genuinely more fun than some nights I've had down SEC.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ivan said:

Glastonbury and relationships don’t work , so wind em down around April  and reconsider em around August.

Can confirm. Lost half of one festival because I was looking after my girlfriend at the time after she went too hard the first night. 

Another relationship ended not long after the festival because she was annoyed that firstly I didn’t get her a ticket and then I ignored her for the duration. 

Obviously were other contributing factors that meant both relationships were doomed but the festival certainly acted as the catalyst. 

On the other hand if both halves of the couple are seasoned festival goers then you should have no problems at all. 

To repeat, go it alone. I go with my husband, and sometimes - he goes back to the tent and I stay out, sometimes he stays out. It makes no difference to either of us, we both have a great time and tales to tell. 
Don’t assume you won’t like something - it’s offend surprising what you’ll enjoy. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, AtomsForPizza said:

Yep. The ground was so hard in 2017 (I know, better than the alternative!) that my feet ended up really painful from just wearing trainers. Made a note at the time to get some decent comfy shoes for another year.

Or just get good trainers. 

17 hours ago, priest17 said:

what is a glastonbury amount of fuss to make over dropping your phone in other peoples excrement? 

“Oh FFS”, eye roll, move on. 

6 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

To repeat, go it alone. I go with my husband, and sometimes - he goes back to the tent and I stay out, sometimes he stays out. It makes no difference to either of us, we both have a great time and tales to tell. 
Don’t assume you won’t like something - it’s offend surprising what you’ll enjoy. 

This would be mine also. Spent too much time in the first year hanging around, waiting for people to pee, get food etc. in the spirit of 'keeping the group together' or missing stuff altogether cause 'nobody else wanted to go'. Of course learned over the subsequent years that taking some time out to do stuff on your own is necessary. 

It's probably a symptom of having been to many non-Glastonbury festivals before where, from a safety point of view, it makes sense not to go it alone too much. However the atmosphere at Glastonbury is such that it's a great experience to go solo for a bit over the course of the week. 

16 hours ago, Luigi said:

Where’s the best place after hours for pop and indie music? Not a big dance fan and have found it hard to find anything else in the past!

The bar in the Theatre and circus field (near to gate C) opposite Astolobe, and near to the summer sensations stage, excellent Indie nights till I think 2am or is it 3 am  (or 1am or maybe 2am  on the Sunday) but great for a few hours post headliner

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Can confirm. Lost half of one festival because I was looking after my girlfriend at the time after she went too hard the first night. 

Another relationship ended not long after the festival because she was annoyed that firstly I didn’t get her a ticket and then I ignored her for the duration. 

Obviously were other contributing factors that meant both relationships were doomed but the festival certainly acted as the catalyst. 

On the other hand if both halves of the couple are seasoned festival goers then you should have no problems at all. 

Man , i could write a book 

I once rang home around 7.00am to catch my gf before she left for work to be told " Ivan its Sunday "

Returning home from Glastonbury  Feral would be an appropriate word 

July to Jan  - 6 month of depression

Jan to June 6 month of excitement 

Edited by ivan

On 6/28/2020 at 11:23 AM, The Red Telephone said:

The unremitting rain and tiredness after trudging through endless mud made me leave early on the Sunday one year. I got out easily enough and was showered and in my bed by 1am on the Monday.

My advice is don’t do this. 

Watching all of the incredible stuff on iPlayer this weekend has made me realise even more what a fucking incredible place that corner of Somerset is in late June. And what I may have missed.

Always keep partying or wandering until the early hours of Monday. You never know when you’re going to be able to attend again,

My first year was 2000. I left the Mrs with the 3 kids. It felt like a bit of an indulgence. Consequently, me and a mate decided to treat it as a sampling exercise rather than a full on, let's do everything we can for 4 days. So we arrived Friday midday and left Sunday lunchtime. Got back in in time to take the kids to Pizza Express at teatime then settled down to watch .... Bowie 😳 Unbelievable. Along with turning down a last minute offer for a back stage pass to see the Pistols  at Brunel (because I had a report to finish 🙄) and not offering what was necessary to a tout for the Led Zep reunion gig, it remains one of my biggest regrets. Nowadays I'm a Wednesday to Monday person. The wife still still stays at home, but now I look after the kids in Pilton (aka paying for their beers when they deign to meet up with me)

49 minutes ago, ivan said:

I once rang home around 7.00am to catch my gf before she left for work to be told " Ivan its Sunday "

One of my absolute favourites remains sitting outside my tent on a Saturday morning one year, listening to the guy a couple of tents away trying to order flowers for his mum's birthday while he was still dealing with the tail end of his acid from the night before.

Think they may also have been the lads arguing over whether they should have a bacon sandwich or ket for breakfast. They went for ket.

• Upvote 2

On 6/29/2020 at 12:03 PM, Sasperella said:

I've discovered a weird thing about after hours fun... Most of my crew only bother working out what they want to see until headliner time. Me on the other hand, I like to know what's going on the whole time so I still have a lot of options until 6am (should I need it). However, whereas in the day people just splinter off and then regroup later, at night everyone wants to stay together but inevitably not everyone likes the things I have chosen. So we end up walking around a lot or being pulled away from really great stuff (Randomer in particular sticks in my mind...but also leaving some great dnb and then finding approximately nothing we liked).

I have however not found a solution to this problem. 

This probably epitomises the joy of a solo Glastonbury, or at least, solo time there.

Although you are talking about things you have planned to see, I think the same applies to randomness.

Unless it’s an act you all know you love, groups really spoil wandering sometimes. If you are enjoying something random, you always have that nagging feeling that everyone else is waiting to move on, & if you aren’t enjoying something, you have that nagging feeling everyone else is well into it and you’ll be spoiling it for everyone if you ask to move.

15 minutes ago, Mackem said:

My first year was 2000. I left the Mrs with the 3 kids. It felt like a bit of an indulgence. Consequently, me and a mate decided to treat it as a sampling exercise rather than a full on, let's do everything we can for 4 days. So we arrived Friday midday and left Sunday lunchtime. Got back in in time to take the kids to Pizza Express at teatime then settled down to watch .... Bowie 😳 

Ouch

11 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

I’d been going since 86 when I took my (now) husband in 2004.

I really tried to let him wander and explore it for himself but I was getting really irritated that he kept going ‘left when I knew something good was on the right’ so to speak. So we split up for an afternoon and I let him get lost on his own. 

Back at the tent he eventually turned up wearing a bin bag for a skirt and shouting that he’d been trying all day to buy a hat but apparently, he has a very small head!

That was when I knew he got it. We ended up honeymooning there in 2010 & still go but always try to spend a bit of time apart. Some solo exploring is very good for the soul.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, amfy said:

This probably epitomises the joy of a solo Glastonbury, or at least, solo time there.

Although you are talking about things you have planned to see, I think the same applies to randomness.

Unless it’s an act you all know you love, groups really spoil wandering sometimes. If you are enjoying something random, you always have that nagging feeling that everyone else is waiting to move on, & if you aren’t enjoying something, you have that nagging feeling everyone else is well into it and you’ll be spoiling it for everyone if you ask to move.

I've always (twice) gone solo and never regretted it. I've tried other things with mates in tow and almost always end up thinking - "I wish I'd come on my own" or getting frustrated because people are hanging around/doing stuff I'm not bothered about..

13 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yep this is the wife and I. 

We pretty much like the same music and have the same staying power partying wise, so perfectly matched. 

She didn’t want to see Lauryn Hill or Liam G last year though, I persuaded her for both. She’s ribbed me about both being average gigs ever since. 

Moral of the story, partying with the wife can (and should) be lots of fun, just avoid acts that hit the heights of fame in the 90s!

23 hours ago, priest17 said:

what is a glastonbury amount of fuss to make over dropping your phone in other peoples excrement? 

None, it's not worth fussing over a thing like a lost phone whilst you're at a place like Glastonbury

Solo for me.  All day (week) long.  Then again, I am fifty and have seen and done enough battiness in life to be completely comfortable with my own company and more importantly my own agenda for the week.

I cant tolerate stragglers which obviously is a trait from the days in the Armed Forces.

Also, last year, I clocked up 150 miles Monday to Monday on about 3-4 hours kip a night.  The youngsters couldn't keep up with that regime.  Age and Treachery > Youth and Skill... All day long :-)

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

I've always (twice) gone solo and never regretted it. I've tried other things with mates in tow and almost always end up thinking - "I wish I'd come on my own" or getting frustrated because people are hanging around/doing stuff I'm not bothered about..

I've done solo 3 times now as a recycling crew volunteer and overall I find it great. I can go and see what acts I want and bumble at my own pace. But I have friends that go and I normally catch up with them a few times over the festival if we fancy doing the same thing or just catching up for a beer. I also have made some good mates in the recycling crew who I catch up with too as being camped in Tom's field you're all in the same area.

Sometimes if I've seen an absolutely cracking set by someone I'll think shame I was on my own but that's probably the only downside. Would still though love to do it as a family with my wife and children. 

8 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This would be mine also. Spent too much time in the first year hanging around, waiting for people to pee, get food etc. in the spirit of 'keeping the group together' or missing stuff altogether cause 'nobody else wanted to go'. Of course learned over the subsequent years that taking some time out to do stuff on your own is necessary. 

It's probably a symptom of having been to many non-Glastonbury festivals before where, from a safety point of view, it makes sense not to go it alone too much. However the atmosphere at Glastonbury is such that it's a great experience to go solo for a bit over the course of the week. 

Yes I call this my no compromises rule. I decide where I will be for any time during the festival. (Friday to Sunday) If anyone wants to join me and listen to the music they are more than welcome but I don't want to spend time hanging around waiting or watching something that wasn't my choice. My husband and I have similar taste and he's less knowledgeable about music than me so will usually just trust my opinion but we have gone our own ways before and would think nothing of doing it again. There's nothing worse than someone coming along who doesn't want to be there and their miserable face ruins the moment for you. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

There's nothing worse than someone coming along who doesn't want to be there and their miserable face ruins the moment for you. 

You mean like Noel Gallagher? Or Lauryn Hill?

• Upvote 2