I messed up! Learn from my mistake.

Woffy

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep we were in a similar situation which definitely contributed to my 2016 being my worst ever. Don't even think it was the weather but I was shattered from the start and that referendum result on top of the tiredness broke me. As well as the fact the whole week I was in a panic about whether getting home would be as awful we always say we put more thought into our Glexit that year than the Tory party ever put into Brexit!!

Yeah easily my worst too. I basically ended up with a three day festival but without the benefit of feeling fresher. The couple I don’t go with now we’re a nightmare the whole way through, moaning all the time about the mud etc. on Friday afternoon one of my mates got so fucked that another mate offered to take him back. On the way back they both got their stash taken off them and photo taken. The mate that have volunteered didn’t bother coming back out and in fact that had pushed her over the edge and she got her boyfriend to pick her up the next day, Saturday! On top of all that I’d forgotten about the whole Brexit situation as well.

Very much a what can go wrong did go wrong year, but luckily 2017 ended up being my best.

So another lesson, be very careful who you go with.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Never heard that before...another thing to worry about 😩

I might add that’s because you had to exit gate C to get back to the caravan, if you’re camping you shouldn’t ever have to leave so it shouldn’t ever be an issue I wouldn’t have thought.

That said I never thought they’d search you on the way out of the gate anyway.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I might add that’s because you had to exit gate C to get back to the caravan, if you’re camping you shouldn’t ever have to leave so it shouldn’t ever be an issue I wouldn’t have thought.

Ah I see,  I did camp next to my sisters camper van in 2017 so was searched on the way in and out, have to say it was done pretty half heartedly most of the time though :) Don't think I would bother doing that again unless I was in a camper myself, can't beat the atmosphere of being with the riff raff.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, Phoenix Girl said:

Hi Woffy! Hope you're well.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:33 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

PS - Hello Woffy. Hope you and yours are all well.  :)

Not bad thanks PG & Yog (all things considered in the world)!

20 hours ago, Dillyblue said:

Hubbie and I have hired vans over the years for the festival and stay in East. A few years ago we did the usual thing. A couple of days in I realised I had booked the hire a day short! I tried to book the extra day but the van was needed for the Monday. So Sunday afternoon we had to pack up and leave. No Sunday night headliner, no saying a proper goodbye on the Monday. I was devastated and cried a lot travelling along the A303! 

So lesson learnt....check dates over and over if you book anything!  Xxx

OMG!

5 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

Speaking on behalf of a good friend, who shared this with us not long after the incident & after he managed to clean himself up:

This was 2016. But basically, dont ever back into a portaloo for a quick onset no.2 too fast, to realise fairly instantly that you hadn't lifted your waterproof jacket up out of the way, causing 'splashback' as it were. To then not have enough toilet roll on you to clean yourself up properly, and then being refused any napkins by the meanie at the closest food stall as apparently they were also in short supply.

From him telling us the story later that evening, it sounded like a truly traumatic experience...

OMFG!

On a similar, slightly less grim note, - 2019:

Don't get a little too pissed on the Wednesday and decide to head towards the eFests meet early to find a quiet spot for a pre-meet nap / refresh...without first checking the ground you are about to sit on or using something to sit on.

Woke up feeling refreshed, but then also a little...damp. And there was a smell.

Surely I haven't pissed myself, I've never done that.

Turns out the moistness was coming from the ground underneath me.

Had inadvertently sat in a puddle of someone else's piss and kipped there for a couple of hours.

Trudged disconsolately miles back to camp at Row Mead, got a bucket and went to fetch water, stripped off in tent, full body wash, change of clothes, have a few strong drinks to cheer myself up, totally topped up my earlier drunkenness.

Next thing I know I regain some semblance of proper consciousness at the Stone Circle where i'd magically (muscle memory?) manage to meet up with my mates. It was going dark by this point. I have no idea how I did it.

Lessons learned:

Check the ground before you sit down. Take something to sit on.

And don't piss on the land you absolute dickheads who that do that!

Edit: pre-kip photo. Look how happy I am in my pisspuddle ignorance!

E483771A-A8A9-46B6-8DCE-FB7D98382694.jpeg

Edited by Woffy
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah easily my worst too. I basically ended up with a three day festival but without the benefit of feeling fresher. The couple I don’t go with now we’re a nightmare the whole way through, moaning all the time about the mud etc. on Friday afternoon one of my mates got so fucked that another mate offered to take him back. On the way back they both got their stash taken off them and photo taken. The mate that have volunteered didn’t bother coming back out and in fact that had pushed her over the edge and she got her boyfriend to pick her up the next day, Saturday! On top of all that I’d forgotten about the whole Brexit situation as well.

Very much a what can go wrong did go wrong year, but luckily 2017 ended up being my best.

So another lesson, be very careful who you go with.

Same here about 2017 being my absolute best. In 2016 I felt like I even chose wrong food, wrong headliners etc but 2017 was completely the reverse. Everything that could go right did and it was just 2 weeks before my 40th birthday so I claimed it as my birthday party. I have always had a rule about friends at Glastonbury I will meet up with people on Wednesday and Thursday but once the festival is on no compromises on what I want to watch. Every time I have even slightly compromised I've regretted it. 

We used to have a friend who would try to catch up with us throughout the festival but I dreaded meeting him at the weekend because he did everything I hate chatted loudly through sets etc but luckily he seems to have stopped going. 

DO NOT USE YOUR EXPENSIVE PHONE IN THE TOILETS, in fact it is probably a safe bet to just not use any phone in the toilet. If you're in the toilet, concentrate on doing your business only!

Sincerely, a girl I watched screaming and crying her eyes out complaining to a steward that she had dropped her new iPhone in the compost toilet.

At first I thought a person must have fell in from how badly she was screaming, it was all very unglastonbury the amount of fuss she was making over a phone

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We were approached by security last year in Park Home and they asked to look in one of our bags as they'd had reports about one of my friends apparently. Never had that happen before.

Edited by vintagelaureate

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

We were approached by security last year in Park Home and they asked to look in one of our bags as they'd had reports about one of my friends apparently. Never had that happen before.

Do you think they really had had reports or was that an excuse?  Why would anyone report someone at Glastonbury of all places

5 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Do you think they really had had reports or was that an excuse?  Why would anyone report someone at Glastonbury of all places

I'm near enough certain it was just an excuse - my friend hadn't done anything, he was just being quite loud. They went last 3 or 4 times afterwards too. 

16 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

They definitely do random searches and undercover cops. 

A friend last year, in front of the other stage in between acts had a guy come from outside the crowd straight for him. Asked if he had "any stuff", obviously friend said no. Then he left the crowd again to stand on the edge. Definitely undercover cop.

44 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Not bad thanks PG & Yog (all things considered in the world)!

OMG!

OMFG!

On a similar, slightly less grim note, - 2019:

Don't get a little too pissed on the Wednesday and decide to head towards the eFests meet early to find a quiet spot for a pre-meet nap / refresh...without first checking the ground you are about to sit on or using something to sit on.

Woke up feeling refreshed, but then also a little...damp. And there was a smell.

Surely I haven't pissed myself, I've never done that.

Turns out the moistness was coming from the ground underneath me.

Had inadvertently sat in a puddle of someone else's piss and kipped there for a couple of hours.

Trudged disconsolately miles back to camp at Row Mead, got a bucket and went to fetch water, stripped off in tent, full body wash, change of clothes, have a few strong drinks to cheer myself up, totally topped up my earlier drunkenness.

Next thing I know I regain some semblance of proper consciousness at the Stone Circle where i'd magically (muscle memory?) manage to meet up with my mates. It was going dark by this point. I have no idea how I did it.

Lessons learned:

Check the ground before you sit down. Take something to sit on.

And don't piss on the land you absolute dickheads who that do that!

Edit: pre-kip photo. Look how happy I am in my pisspuddle ignorance!

E483771A-A8A9-46B6-8DCE-FB7D98382694.jpeg

I did wonder why we didn't see you at R&F last year. Was looking forward to a beer, but given that you would have turned up smelling of piss I'm gonna be honest and say that I'm kinda glad you didn't :D

40 minutes ago, alien said:

DO NOT USE YOUR EXPENSIVE PHONE IN THE TOILETS, in fact it is probably a safe bet to just not use any phone in the toilet. If you're in the toilet, concentrate on doing your business only!

Sincerely, a girl I watched screaming and crying her eyes out complaining to a steward that she had dropped her new iPhone in the compost toilet.

At first I thought a person must have fell in from how badly she was screaming, it was all very unglastonbury the amount of fuss she was making over a phone

On that note, be careful in the toilets/longdrops full stop. One year I potentially might have hidden certain things in my boxers entering gate C. Needed a wee so popped into the longdrops just as you enter the theatre and circus field. About 20 minutes later I realised said things must have fallen out in said longdrops.

The daft thing was my now ex made us go back to check it wasn’t still on the floor in there, after possibly 100 or more people would’ve passed through that particular longdrop. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Another for the "don't go too hard Tue night out of excitement" brigade here.

In 2017 my group were getting a minibus down on the Wed morning, but to save a number of pick-ups and waiting around we also decided to get a budget hotel Tue night. We met up in the pub, then back to the hotel, and didn't sleep very much that night.

Wed was tough, especially in the unrelenting sunshine. Get your sleep when you can.

11 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I've never known anyone getting searched or anything in the time I've been going hope it's not gonna be a thing now

Back in 2016 i stood with my daughter early in the day by the top of the other stage (bands hadn't started) and watched a group of around 20 undercover police talk about the plans for the day and the process to follow. 

Made me very nervous and i wasn't up to anything!

Back in my early years somewhere around 2003 we had a load of 4 x4 s surround our group as we were walking across the pyramid field ... they had had reports of someone in a top hat dealing .... as we were walking across the field id passed my hat to my friend so he was subjected to a search ... and not me :) not that I had anything anyway :) 

5 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

Back in 2016 i stood with my daughter early in the day by the top of the other stage (bands hadn't started) and watched a group of around 20 undercover police talk about the plans for the day and the process to follow. 

Made me very nervous and i wasn't up to anything!

Really? Oh wow, I must have either got lucky or I just don't pay enough attention 😂

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Back in my early years somewhere around 2003 we had a load of 4 x4 s surround our group as we were walking across the pyramid field ... they had had reports of someone in a top hat dealing .... as we were walking across the field id passed my hat to my friend so he was subjected to a search ... and not me :) not that I had anything anyway :) 

😂😂😂😂 hahaha you're a rotter but that funny 

18 hours ago, Wickedfaerie said:

Don't turn up after dark and camp in the one free spot that's easy to get to. There'll be a good reason why no-one else camped there.

100% this.

Turned up to Bestival late on the Thursday evening one year (ferry issues) so plonked down the tent and set up and then went for a dance. Came back to sleep and woke up around 3am to the group around us discussing how they'd like to cut up our tent, or at the very least pick it up and forcibly move us (I think we'd obliviously camped in a space they'd earmarked as a communal spot).  

1 minute ago, Wellyboot said:

Really? Oh wow, I must have either got lucky or I just don't pay enough attention 😂

😂😂😂😂 hahaha you're a rotter but that funny 

purely coincidental .... I do wonder how many people in top hats they searched that day ....probably would have had more luck at Ascot :) 

From memory:

• Dont make plans for every minute on the wednesday, especially if you've come in the early hours without much sleep. Always need a little nap during the day to get my energy up for the rest of the festival.
  • As someone else said, check where you're sitting. I didnt sit in piss but I fell asleep outside the Hari Khrishna tent in 2017 and woke up thinking I was having a heart attack. Think it was some sort of ants nest and they were feasting on me. It was excruciating for about 10 mins.
  • Dont be put off going out on your own if no ones up or about. Some of my best memories have been going for an early wander, getting some food and discovering some good music.
  • Dont go with people you get on ok with in real life. Glasto is intense and even if you love the people you're with, your patience and relationship will be tested. Going with someone who's mildly annoying in real life will become a drag very quickly. In 2015 all my mates pulled out of the resale but i just decided to go on my own. Found out a couple of friends were going who i liked but weren't really close and hung out with them and it was my worst festival.
  • Dont always give into your tired mind. It's something I haven't done a few years and regret it. If it's midnight and you're tired, get a shot of espresso and keep going. Glasto is 5 days a year and can sometimes be years between going. Make the most of every moment. I often give up on the late night areas because of the queues, which i cant stand, but when i have fought through that i've had amazing nights.
  • Dont queue up for food. There's so many places, try something different. Often the places with the biggest queues are the generic, shit food. Branch out.