I messed up! Learn from my mistake.

Woffy

5 hours ago, Dillyblue said:

Hubbie and I have hired vans over the years for the festival and stay in East. A few years ago we did the usual thing. A couple of days in I realised I had booked the hire a day short! I tried to book the extra day but the van was needed for the Monday. So Sunday afternoon we had to pack up and leave. No Sunday night headliner, no saying a proper goodbye on the Monday. I was devastated and cried a lot travelling along the A303! 

So lesson learnt....check dates over and over if you book anything!  Xxx

Oh dear..how much was the late return fee? 😉

Don’t eat too many special truffles from a lovely lady passing through the stone circle on a hot Saturday afternoon then go for a “quick lie down” at the tent before heading out then accidentally sleep through the whole of Saturday night and miss all the bands you were so excited about seeing  😞 I felt robbed. 

Edited by Pipine

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Yes... you do need a pillow. I know it might feel excessive to bring one but trust me you won’t regret having one! I honestly don’t know how people do festivals without one. A blow up pillow / a jacket just doesn’t cut it. Needs to be a proper pillow.

I know sleep isn’t a massive thing but the occasional winks you do catch are much better when you have a proper pillow.

Honestly I can’t stress how important it is to bring one. It really helps the entire weekend. Everyone always comments on my pillow collection at festivals but it’s usually a “gah wish I brought that”.

Have you thought of expanding on this train of thought, Sunscreen boosted  Baz Luhrmann’s profile no end.

If you’re not enjoying something don’t persist with it no matter how much you were looking forward to it.

took me about 10 years to really get this but I remember one year trying to watch a band I REALLY wanted to see at the Park, it was pissing with rain and I couldn’t get close enough to hear properly. I needed up going to a nearby Jamaican stall having a massive plate of steaming curried goat, rice and peas, plantain and dumplings, followed by a huge pick of Victoria sponge and mug of coffee In the another cafe, while sheltering from the rai and chatting to lovely people.  I genuinely the name of the band I missed but remember the meal. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My tip - Do not nick a bottle from your mate's tent thinking it's a pre made drink, when actually you need add lemonade to it to turn it into a cocktail.

And don't add what looks like lemonade from a plastic bottle in your mate's tent.

Edited by Miyn
  • Upvote 1

Don't get pissed on the train down, then once the tent is up head to the cider bus for a cider and the first spliff you've had in about a year.

I did this on the Wednesday in 2016.  My mate tried to get me back to the tent, but within 10 seconds of standing up, I didn't so much as fall over, but the world came up to meet me and I smacked face first into the mud!  This was about an hour after walking through the gate!

The weird thing was after this I felt absolutely fine, and carried on as normal for the rest of the evening!

1st mistake - camping by dance area (random unzips tent with axe asking for money and drugs, tell him to fuxk off)

2nd mistake -camping at bottom of hill ( can get soggy)

3rd mistake - camping  ( no sleep)

4th mistake - hiring Motorhome (deposit loss due to damage)

Other mistakes, drinking to much early, trying to survive off less than 2 hours sleep, taking stuff you don’t need, not using the lock ups

Speaking on behalf of a good friend, who shared this with us not long after the incident & after he managed to clean himself up:

This was 2016. But basically, dont ever back into a portaloo for a quick onset no.2 too fast, to realise fairly instantly that you hadn't lifted your waterproof jacket up out of the way, causing 'splashback' as it were. To then not have enough toilet roll on you to clean yourself up properly, and then being refused any napkins by the meanie at the closest food stall as apparently they were also in short supply.

From him telling us the story later that evening, it sounded like a truly traumatic experience...

Having had a really traumatic experience getting into the mudbath that was 2016 (queueing for about 7 hours or something ridiculous) we decided to leave on the Sunday night to avoid this situation happening again.  Loads of other people had had the same idea though and we were parked right up in the pink car parks and loads of cars were stuck in the mud - ended up sitting/sleeping in the car til about 7am until we could get off site 😩 I will never leave Sunday night again under any circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Having had a really traumatic experience getting into the mudbath that was 2016 (queueing for about 7 hours or something ridiculous) we decided to leave on the Sunday night to avoid this situation happening again.  Loads of other people had had the same idea though and we were parked right up in the pink car parks and loads of cars were stuck in the mud - ended up sitting/sleeping in the car til about 7am until we could get off site 😩 I will never leave Sunday night again under any circumstances.

One of my friends had the bright idea of moving his car closer to the exit gate so he could leave faster on Monday .... but spent nearly all of Sunday doing it :) and it made no difference at all 

I was staying in a pre-pitched caravan in 2016, because we used to go with a couple who wouldn’t camp and also wouldn’t go until Thursday... we don’t go with them now.

I wanted to go on the Wednesday, so we left earlyish, queued for 12 hours, got within a couple of cars of the entrance road to CV east and they shut it. Had no clue what to do, so went to the nearest car park, grabbed as much as we could carry and made our way to the nearest gate, saw the fireworks go off while we were doing this. Had to walk across the site and back out through gate C, through the CV fields trying to find this bloody caravan on foot in the dark, that took about two hours. I couldn’t sleep so decided to walk back to the car about 5am and bring it back, spent another 5 hours queueing and eventually got back about lunchtime.

No joke our friends that will only come on Thursday turned up about 30 minutes after me, fresh as a daisy and smug as hell. I was completely fucked that day after no sleep, had to go back early on Thursday due to exhaustion so basically ruined two days of the festival.

So basically don’t do any of what I did that year.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

One of my friends had the bright idea of moving his car closer to the exit gate so he could leave faster on Monday .... but spent nearly all of Sunday doing it :) and it made no difference at all 

Oh dear! These things seem like a good idea at the time.  Better off just enjoying the Sunday and deal with whatever Monday brings when it happens.

If you're really enjoying something you didn't plan to see, or didn't realise you'd be that into, don't get FOMO over the other stuff that's on. Rip up the plan and stick around. 

Also, don't spend hours upon hours hunting for that hidden place you heard about. It's probably not that good, half the time people only rate it because it's hidden, the best ones don't exist anymore, and you'll find it by accident somewhen anyway. Lesson learned more than once!

22 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

This. From Friday-Sunday I often spend from 11am-11pm on my own and meet up with my mates at night. 

I maybe see one, act a day with one person from my group and then we split up to see headliners but I've seen many solo. Then we'll meet at the campsite and do 11pm - ??? together as our music taste is pretty similar for late night stuff. 

I've discovered a weird thing about after hours fun... Most of my crew only bother working out what they want to see until headliner time. Me on the other hand, I like to know what's going on the whole time so I still have a lot of options until 6am (should I need it). However, whereas in the day people just splinter off and then regroup later, at night everyone wants to stay together but inevitably not everyone likes the things I have chosen. So we end up walking around a lot or being pulled away from really great stuff (Randomer in particular sticks in my mind...but also leaving some great dnb and then finding approximately nothing we liked).

I have however not found a solution to this problem. 

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I've discovered a weird thing about after hours fun... Most of my crew only bother working out what they want to see until headliner time. Me on the other hand, I like to know what's going on the whole time so I still have a lot of options until 6am (should I need it). However, whereas in the day people just splinter off and then regroup later, at night everyone wants to stay together but inevitably not everyone likes the things I have chosen. So we end up walking around a lot or being pulled away from really great stuff (Randomer in particular sticks in my mind...but also leaving some great dnb and then finding approximately nothing we liked).

On the weeks leading up, try and get them to listen to some of the acts you know you're going to see, so if they know they're not into, they could be in the same area (shang ri la, common, etc) and still enjoy themselves. 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I was staying in a pre-pitched caravan in 2016, because we used to go with a couple who wouldn’t camp and also wouldn’t go until Thursday... we don’t go with them now.

I wanted to go on the Wednesday, so we left earlyish, queued for 12 hours, got within a couple of cars of the entrance road to CV east and they shut it. Had no clue what to do, so went to the nearest car park, grabbed as much as we could carry and made our way to the nearest gate, saw the fireworks go off while we were doing this. Had to walk across the site and back out through gate C, through the CV fields trying to find this bloody caravan on foot in the dark, that took about two hours. I couldn’t sleep so decided to walk back to the car about 5am and bring it back, spent another 5 hours queueing and eventually got back about lunchtime.

No joke our friends that will only come on Thursday turned up about 30 minutes after me, fresh as a daisy and smug as hell. I was completely fucked that day after no sleep, had to go back early on Thursday due to exhaustion so basically ruined two days of the festival.

So basically don’t do any of what I did that year.

Yep we were in a similar situation which definitely contributed to my 2016 being my worst ever. Don't even think it was the weather but I was shattered from the start and that referendum result on top of the tiredness broke me. As well as the fact the whole week I was in a panic about whether getting home would be as awful we always say we put more thought into our Glexit that year than the Tory party ever put into Brexit!!

18 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Invest in decent shoes, my old pair of £20 sports direct ones absolutely ruined my feet by Wednesday night in 17. Agony all weekend, still my favourite year though

Yep. The ground was so hard in 2017 (I know, better than the alternative!) that my feet ended up really painful from just wearing trainers. Made a note at the time to get some decent comfy shoes for another year.

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I’ve always found the late night stuff a bit of a task to navigate as everybody in my group has a different idea of what kind of electronic stuff they want to be at, as well as the couple of people who would rather be anywhere else other than listening to pounding techno at 3am, so about 90% of the time it’s just us walking from area to area never quite satisfied with the music we’re hearing until we eventually just end up at some random venue ‘cause nobody can be arsed wandering any longer. Plus everybody’s in varied states of consumption so prone to just wandering off or stopping for long periods etc.