I messed up! Learn from my mistake.

Woffy

So rather than giving first timers the usual well intentioned advice / hints / tips, etc, as a seasoned GlastoGoer what did you do that you really wished you hadn’t?

(Expecting lots of “saw Coldplay, they were shit”-type stuff...but you know what I mean). 

I’ll go first:

After 10+ Gfestivals never taking a trolley / sack truck I was persuaded one year to do so and take all the booze from the car in in one trip. 

Horrific. The effort of dragging that thing in on Wednesday morning nearly ruined me for the week. Never again. 

A gentle early morning re-stock stroll back to the car every time. 

Hi Woffy! Hope you're well.

When my husband and I first went to Glastonbury together in 2009, we thought we'd try and be a little bit healthy over the weekend rather than coming home feeling like complete death. So, we decided to take packets of nuts and seeds with us as snacks, instead of the more sensible option of crisps and chocolate. Needless to say we never opened them 

• Like 1

Attending the festival wearing my only foot wear for the weekend, which were a pair of un - broken in Dr Marten boots. Learn by my mistake, and never ever do that to yourself. By the Sunday afternoon I was in agonising pain trying to walk around with my friends. There came a stage when I could go on no longer, and had to tell my mates to carry on without me. Then a little while later a lad that I knew (now a dear friend) spotted me holding on to a metal mesh fence trying to walk along. He asked me what the matter was, so I told him. He then gave me some military grade pain killers. The next thing i knew, I was speeding off around the site without a care in the world. I was probably destroying my feet further, but I could feel no pain. So, I repeat - do not do what I did.

PS - Hello Woffy. Hope you and yours are all well.  :)

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Desperate to attend In 2008 I went with a bad crowd who were heavily into substance abuse.  I stupidly fell into their game and ended up seriously ill and sleeping in welfare on a Saturday night before leaving in the Sunday morning. 

I truly believe we sink or swim by the people around us.  

Edited by Pilton94

In 2013...... I was making my way in gate A and was pushing my bike and trailer up the hill just past the slaloms ...... and I managed to catch my leg on the cogs scratching it slightly ..... and drawing the tiniest amount of blood  ..... anyway I got in and might have given it a cursory wipe once I was pitched ...... during the festival I just became progressively more knackered and my leg slowly started showing a patch of swelling ...... anyway this photo was taken by one friend on the Sat afternoon before the Rolling Stones thinking I was just suffering from excessive alcohol consumption  .... we made it to the back of the field for the Stones but I was unable to stand up ...so i spent the entire set looking at the back of peoples legs .After the set one of my female friends insisted I go to the medical tent and get looked at .... so I was helped up there and checked over ..... unfortunately that was the end of the festival for me but fortunately the hospital I managed to get them to send them to was my home town .... The paramedic I played badminton with as did the porter at the hospital ... i opted to remain in fancy dress rather than the hospital gown .... I was in hospital for about a week on an antibiotic drip and fuck knows it would have got much more serious had I left it longer 

Important story here ... Please please please check on welfare of friends and others  and dont make assumptions ... also look after yourselves and make sure of suncream , medical needs , and Hydration ....FMS were incredible ...

IMG_0219.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The unremitting rain and tiredness after trudging through endless mud made me leave early on the Sunday one year. I got out easily enough and was showered and in my bed by 1am on the Monday.

My advice is don’t do this. 

Watching all of the incredible stuff on iPlayer this weekend has made me realise even more what a fucking incredible place that corner of Somerset is in late June. And what I may have missed.

Always keep partying or wandering until the early hours of Monday. You never know when you’re going to be able to attend again,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

If your airbed punctures on Wednesday night, don't think you'll repair it when you get home and fool yourself that you're some Ray Mears type who can cope in the meantime.

5 nights on solid ground with nothing more than a sleeping bag was NOT a smart call :lol:

Heading to the South East Corner straight after a headliner.

Go to Arcadia, rabbit hole, circus area, etc. (basically anywhere but your tent or the SE corner) for a couple of hours, have a drink, take on some caffeine (or other things if you want) and then wander over! 

The South East corner is absolutely mad on an evening, no doubt about it, but only for a little bit before people get fed up with crowds and call it quits. 

There has been far too many times I’ve been stood squished like a sardine, rapidly sobering up, absolutely hating life.

Edited by kemosabe

2007.....stayed to watch that terrible Killers set as we couldn't be arsed to walk in the mud to Jazz World to see John Fogerty.  Regretted it ever since.  The lesson being to not let the weather or conditions stop you doing something you may never get the opportunity to do again.

Another one here for the “no trolley”. We did it to great effect in 2015. However 2016 is by far the worst festival experience ever. It was a really heavy duty one so never broke or anything. But we had 2 choices:

- Unclog the mid from around the wheels/wheel arches after 30 seconds

- Drag it through the mud without the wheels turning.

Both options were absolutely horrendous and what normally takes us about 20 odd minutes (PGA to Oxlyers) took about 3 hours. Vile.

My other mistake - which I make every single year - is going too hard on a Wednesday. It’s the excitement of being there, I just can’t help myself. There is a picture of my from Thursday morning last year. The only thing I can liken it to is when they put a tent over a fallen horse at the races :D 

EDIT: Found it!

9D23AD44-1D7C-4C6E-BD0A-E2AF267EEF54.jpeg

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Another one here for the “no trolley”. We did it to great effect in 2015. However 2016 is by far the worst festival experience ever. It was a really heavy duty one so never broke or anything. But we had 2 choices:

- Unclog the mid from around the wheels/wheel arches after 30 seconds

- Drag it through the mud without the wheels turning.

Both options were absolutely horrendous and what normally takes us about 20 odd minutes (PGA to Oxlyers) took about 3 hours. Vile.

My other mistake - which I make every single year - is going too hard on a Wednesday. It’s the excitement of being there, I just can’t help myself. The is a picture of my from Thursday morning last year. The only thing I can liken it to is when they put a tent over a fallen horse at the races :D 

We wanna see the photo 😂😂

Dyed my hair bright red for a laugh at my first Glasto in 2014. As we all know, it pissed down with rain on the Friday... That red ran out of my hair, and turned my white t-shirt into a pink one, and I looked like an extra from a C-rate horror movie

• Upvote 2

Absolutely do not do go too hard in the overnight queue to get through the gates. We got overexcited very quickly on the journey down and drank all of our breakfast beer stash... and once in the queue we got chatting to some very generous “amigos” with Colombia’s finest  

long story short trying to put the tent up on the Wednesday morning was actually the worst part of the whole weekend. I would not recommend