Radiohead Vs Radiohead Vs Radiohead

stuartbert two hats

17 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I've been at 4 of the (I think) five Glastonburys they've played at. Only saw them once but that was obviously the best one. 

IMG_0839-1.jpg

yeah this was the only time that i've been able to see them at Gasto as well sadly. Didn't get a ticket for 2017 but loved the set list, i sat in my darkened front room info front of my 60" tv trying to replicate being there with copious amounts of alcohol.

2017 - great set list and longevity of set

2003 - good set , good sound and lighting

1997 - saw it again last night and although they 'like it and Thom had issues with hearing himself back etc i really enjoyed it, though recording too short i thought they sounded great and was always partial to an Ok Computer / Bends set.

4th - 2003...didn’t go that year, but “There, There” is a great opener

3rd - 1997...caught half of it after abandoning Primal Scream in the dance tent. Class.

2nd - 2017...Thom’s voice during “Nude”. I mean, fucking hell. Watch it again.

1st - 2028...Walking out on stage and straight into “Reckoner”

I just watched 1997 on iplayer - I assume a load of cut out? It is great, but there's just too much good material that they hadn't released by that point (although the inclusion of High and dry is nice). 

I find it genuinely baffling that people found 17 boring. It blew my mind, my mates were all loving it, and from where I was standing there were a lot of other satisfied folk in the audience too! My absolute favourite live performance by anyone, ever. 

I wasn't at 2003, and nor do I think I've seen the whole set before. Is it available anywhere?

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I just watched 1997 on iplayer - I assume a load of cut out? It is great, but there's just too much good material that they hadn't released by that point (although the inclusion of High and dry is nice). 

I find it genuinely baffling that people found 17 boring. It blew my mind, my mates were all loving it, and from where I was standing there were a lot of other satisfied folk in the audience too! My absolute favourite live performance by anyone, ever. 

I wasn't at 2003, and nor do I think I've seen the whole set before. Is it available anywhere?

19 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh yeah! I've watched it the whole way through.

It's a shame that Radiohead are still just about big enough to headline the Pyramid, I'd probably enjoy it more if they played Other and the crowd was entirely made up of like minded people taking a guitar band far too seriously.

You can cut it any way you like, but from Kid A onwards, they're a pretty weird band. And the album before had Paranoid Android on it, which isn't exactly your usual pop hit!

They weren't being wilfully obscure, but you can't have a career spanning set that doesn't contain a fair few songs that would alienate a casual crowd.

That's the nail on the head. They seem to have maintained a level of popularity despite actively pursuing a much less commercial route. People seemed to think that greatest hits is their favourite songs from a brief period in the 90's but they played the hits from their career spanning set. If someone doesn't like any of their albums from Kid A onwards and turned up and were disappointed then frankly that's on them and not Radiohead. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2020 at 9:49 AM, Woffy said:

Ah. Sure. 

The 2017 no-screens thing though. 

What we’re they (or whoever) thinking?

They just choose to have their visuals on the screens and not the festival camera feed. Been like that for years. I agree its not the most ideal thing to keep an audience engaged if they cant see you at all, but what can ya do. Thus I usually try to get fairly close at any festival ive seen them at so im not trying to focus on the screens instead of the band.

the In Rainbows era was the easiest to deal with this though because the light show was so unreal.

i had been wanting to see them there since 97, so 2017 was very special to me and its in my top 5 radiohead gigs ive seen. Energy wise 2003 is the top one though and the band was in the middle of their live performance prime

Edited by Suprefan

On 6/27/2020 at 5:49 PM, Woffy said:

Ah. Sure. 

The 2017 no-screens thing though. 

What we’re they (or whoever) thinking?

It never occurred to me as an issue, maybe because I had seen their fairly recent live shows I'd take a light show over seeing their faces (kind of similar to seeing the Chemical Brothers though they have far more engaging visuals)

The way that and the setlist turned casual fans off has slightly affected my memory of it but at the time I thought it was all perfect.

Radiohead in 2017 was life-affirming for me. I'll never ever forget those Exit Music and Pyramid Song performances.

It easily beats 2003 for me too. On paper 2017 isn't one for die-hard fans with this greatest-hits setlist, but god did they do these songs justice. Probably the best version of 15 Step I've heard. (Sliiiiight remark: I only wished they played more A Moon Shaped Pool, as I hadn't heard those songs live yet.)

Can't think of much bands that can end a setlist with these songs, in this order: No Surprises / Nude / 2+2=5 / Paranoid Android / Fake Plastic Trees / Lotus Flower / Creep / Karma Police. 

Edited by misterplow

18 minutes ago, misterplow said:

Can’t think of much bands that can end a setlist with these songs, in this order: No Surprises / Nude / 2+2=5 / Paranoid Android / Fake Plastic Trees / Lotus Flower / Creep / Karma Police. 

Be a bit weird for another band to end their set with eight Radiohead songs tbf.

16 hours ago, DJL said:

It never occurred to me as an issue, maybe because I had seen their fairly recent live shows I'd take a light show over seeing their faces (kind of similar to seeing the Chemical Brothers though they have far more engaging visuals)

The way that and the setlist turned casual fans off has slightly affected my memory of it but at the time I thought it was all perfect.

As a short person I am so used to not seeing visuals of any kind it really wasn't a major issue for me although I was also in the front section (first time ever for a headliner) so I probably saw more than I ever had before. I tend to spend a lot of time with eyes closed dancing like a loon when lost in music anyway though so really not something that registers with me too much when the music is that good.