Radiohead Vs Radiohead Vs Radiohead

stuartbert two hats

1 minute ago, SteveTLizard said:

Music and not self indulgent nonsense?

I can totally get people not liking Radiohead's music. I can get people finding the performances unengaging, but you say you like the records and you walked off because of the musical content?

I can't wrap my head around that at all. What was so different between the live and recorded versions that put you off so much? There, There in particular... wasn't it the same as on the record?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can totally get people not liking Radiohead's music. I can get people finding the performances unengaging, but you say you like the records and you walked off because of the musical content?

I can't wrap my head around that at all. What was so different between the live and recorded versions that put you off so much? There, There in particular... wasn't it the same as on the record?

The problem I have is that live artists have to engage with the audience, they don't engage and draw you in for the ride.

I enjoy listening to Radiohead, always have and always will. If I ever get a ticket to Glastonbury ever again (doubtful but yo neve know) I will go and see them. The problem is I was not engaged, didn't enjoy it. Can I explain why their recorded music moves me and their live stuff leaves me cold? Nope.

Just now, SteveTLizard said:

The problem I have is that live artists have to engage with the audience, they don't engage and draw you in for the ride.

I enjoy listening to Radiohead, always have and always will. If I ever get a ticket to Glastonbury ever again (doubtful but yo neve know) I will go and see them. The problem is I was not engaged, didn't enjoy it. Can I explain why their recorded music moves me and their live stuff leaves me cold? Nope.

Fair enough, takes all sorts. As a former young man who concentrates to music (now not so young), I tend to not be too bothered by the crowd interaction side of things if what I'm hearing is to my liking.

See Gorillaz in 2010 for a time I was spectacularly out of step with the rest of the crowd.

I like music, if the music is good, I'm good.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fair enough, takes all sorts. As a former young man who concentrates to music (now not so young), I tend to not be too bothered by the crowd interaction side of things if what I'm hearing is to my liking.

See Gorillaz in 2010 for a time I was spectacularly out of step with the rest of the crowd.

I like music, if the music is good, I'm good.

Absolutely sir, music is whatever moves you. I can't explain why Radiohead move me when listening to recorded content but leave me cold live. Having said that I'm now watching Radiohead at Glastonbury and loving it, I'll be honest I think it may be me on this one.

As I say, music is subjective so we all enjoy what we enjoy, long live that fact.

Can we all agree on Muse though.

Edited by SteveTLizard

Funny that I didn't seem to hear many complaints about The Cure not engaging with the crowd. Other that that really sweet bit where he seemed genuinely overwhelmed, the crowd interaction was just about zero.

I wasn't bothered one bit, but as mentioned above, I have something of a blind spot for that, especially when I'm very familiar with the material.

1 minute ago, SteveTLizard said:

Absolutely sir, music is whatever moves you. I can't explain why Radiohead move me when listening to recorded content but leave me cold live. Having said that I'm now watching Radiohead at Glastonbury and loving it, I'll be honest I think it may be me on this one.

As I say, music is subjective so we all enjoy what we enjoy, long live that fact.

Can we all agree on Muse though.

I hope we're agreeing that Muse are gash?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Amazing! (This one 😉)

Oh yeah! I've watched it the whole way through.

It's a shame that Radiohead are still just about big enough to headline the Pyramid, I'd probably enjoy it more if they played Other and the crowd was entirely made up of like minded people taking a guitar band far too seriously.

You can cut it any way you like, but from Kid A onwards, they're a pretty weird band. And the album before had Paranoid Android on it, which isn't exactly your usual pop hit!

They weren't being wilfully obscure, but you can't have a career spanning set that doesn't contain a fair few songs that would alienate a casual crowd.

I think for non-Radiohead fans/festival goers going to a headline slot they want some energy which they don’t seem to put across like say a band like Muse with their light show/lasers/songs that people recognise from radio, random Spotify playlists or adverts. Just my thoughts.

Hence why I preferred their Reading show.

14 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

1. 2017

2. 2003

3. 1997

9. Pablo Honey

No, that's not reverse chronological order. Yes, I'm saying their classic 1997 performance is their worst showing on the Pyramid.

Weak sound, terrible lighting, relatively sloppy playing, and missing all the little details and soundscaping that makes a Radiohead performance special.

Fight me.

why have you missed 1994? 

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Because I've never seen it, either in person or televised. And being a different set on a different stage, it's not really comparable.

:blink: 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Because I've never seen it, either in person or televised. And being a different set on a different stage, it's not really comparable.

And the whole set time signature was completely different.

Love Radiohead. In order for me from best to last:

1 - 1997 - I really liked the mix of triumph and near disaster. It gave the whole performance a really unique atmosphere.

2 - 2003

3 - 1994

4 - 2017

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Why does Tool always get brought up as a counterpart among Radiohead fans but if I championed one of the other shitty nu metal bands I’d get rightly roasted?

Woooaaaahh. Hold on there. 'other shitty nu metal bands' is way off the mark.

I think in this instance Tool got mentioned because like Radiohead at Glastonbury, they don't do screens of the band in performance, rather using their own visuals.

I think they get the comparison because they are also seen as being at the intelligent and creative end of their genre. They are to metal, what Radiohead are to indie rock. And they inspire the same sense of devotion in their fans. I'm sure the Tool crowd is full of stern-faced young men too, but its usually too moshy to tell.

2017 the best for me. The year I finally got what everyone was raving about. I watched the set from the back of the field and didn’t even notice the screens issue the music was so good. As a bigger fan of their pre-Kid A material I could not have been happier with the set. I enjoyed the noodling and since that show have spent time getting to know it better.