Radiohead Vs Radiohead Vs Radiohead

stuartbert two hats

I love the music, listened to all the albums over and over ........ but

1. 2017  ...   Bored, walked off after 2 songs, tried the jacksons, ended up with Toots at 2am in the SE corner. Result.

2. 2003  ...   Wondered off bored after 5 minutes

3. 1997  ...   Didn't know they were on, good, I was probably having a good time and would have wondered off, bored.

As I say, fucking love the songs, but live, what the actual fuck.

43 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Haha, in 2010 we heard them from a distance and went "is the TBC on the Park Radiohead?" We got over there just in time for the final chord and "thank you Glastonbury" 🥺

Guting!! Yes secret sets back then did seem much more secret. Smart phones weren't as common I know I didnt' get my first smartphone until a few months after that Glastonbury. 

I was near the front for 2017 and enjoyed it, but for some reason remember 2003 a lot more even though it was 17 years ago- not sure if this means 2003 was more memorable or just my memory is much deteriorated! I think maybe it was the crowd- in 2003 the atmosphere was electric and super enthused, but in 2017 it felt like more of a cult band with a lot of people who turned up out of curiosity.

I liked the 2017 set list, only song missing was Reckoner for me

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

I liked the 2017 set list, only song missing was Reckoner for me

An unfortunate blotch on an otherwise fantastic setlist. Can’t believe they didn’t play it the bastards. Towards the end of the set I just kept thinking ‘it’s gotta be coming next’, ‘oh they’re saving it for the encore’, ‘okay, second encore?!’ but alas it never came 😪

My memories of '97 are that it was great, but more than that has been lost in time.\

2017, I was down the front but found it uncomfortably squashed and was surrounded by lots of stern-faced young men concentrating incredibly hard. I retreated up the hill to just enjoy the music. I do think the lack of screens created a distance between me and the band that the music was just not able to cross. It was like watching a shit screen saver for an hour. I left before the end.

At least with Tool, their visuals are startling and interesting. And for the record I prefer them.

4 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I don't know but I'm offended by it to this day. Ed admitted in an interview the other day that they called the '17 setlist wrong. Ed, it wasn't just the setlist, mate.

The only thing missing from the set list was Reckoner. 

Even including that wouldn’t have saved the screen debacle though. 

Edited by nikkic

Only saw them in 2017, have to admit we walked off to see if we could find something more interesting. End up in JP & instantly realised Annie Mac was not the answer. Walked back, grabbed a cider & we enjoyed the later half.

Preferred their headline set at Reading, that was a better show.

3 hours ago, Copperface said:

Yup, 2017,  an hour of turgid nurdling and self indulgence which only the hardcore fans could have loved,  followed by the final fantastic 45 minutes when, for me as a fairly casual fan who only really knows their 'popular; stuff, all was forgiven.  The lack of any coverage of what was happening on the stage only compounded the boredom factor during that first hour.  Nearly left but glad I didn't.

I don't get this. Lucky was the second song and Airbag was the fourth one. Exit Music was played within the first hour. As was Pyramid Song. And Everything In Its Right Place. How is this even close to 'turgid nurdling'? This was Radiohead at their most casual fan friendly. They played 7(!) songs from their most well-known and beloved album. And pretty much all the hits. Every single one of them. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

I don't get this. Lucky was the second song and Airbag was the fourth one. Exit Music was played within the first hour. As was Pyramid Song. And Everything In Its Right Place. How is this even close to 'turgid nurdling'? This was Radiohead at their most casual fan friendly. They played 7(!) songs from their most well-known and beloved album. And pretty much all the hits. Every single one of them. 

As I said I think too many people who call themselves fans of the band actually stopped listening after OK Computer. They did a greatest hit set in 2017 and people were still complaining that they were too obscure. 

4 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Yeah, fair enough on the criticism of the screens, but I don't get the criticism of the setlist. Only 2 new tracks, and packed with big songs and fan favourites - more than most sets they play.  Not sure what else they could have done - maybe National Anthem in for Myxomatosis, and Reckoner in for Bloom? Just in there somewhere perhaps? Not exactly massive changes. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

As I said I think too many people who call themselves fans of the band actually stopped listening after OK Computer. They did a greatest hit set in 2017 and people were still complaining that they were too obscure. 

Yeah but that's the thing. Their 2017 headline set was basically OK Computer, the concert. They played Lucky, Airbag, Paranoid Android, Let Down, No Surprises, Exit Music, Karma Police. 

Just now, lighthouse said:

Yeah but that's the thing. Their 2017 headline set was basically OK Computer, the concert. They played Lucky, Airbag, Paranoid Android, Let Down, No Surprises, Exit Music, Karma Police. 

Too many people just want to hear what they listened to when they were a teenager and anything after that is obscure rubbish hence why a large number of people my age keep banging on about Oasis reforming or Stone Roses playing. Some people just seem to stop listening to anything new. 

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

As I said, I was then only a casual listener. Lucky is definitely a tune, but I still find Airbag and Pyramid Song a bit nurdly and I doubt I even knew them by name in 2017 and initially they lost me (and others by the comments above) in that first hour.

However, mainly redeemed by the second part. 

I'm more of the Knives Out/Fake Plastic Trees/ No surprises/High and Dry and so on type of fan. They somehow passed me by probably due to my age and never quite understood the fanaticism surrounding them, . However, they do have a great catalogue, but not being a 'stern-faced young man concentrating incredibly hard' I wasn't initially really into it.

32 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Come on, I am one of those hard core fans who loved it, but Everything In Its Right Place is casual fan friendly? The rendition played at Glastonbury played with the idea of having a time signature to its extremes.

I don't think it was a particularly obscure setlist, but that version of that song was probably the most challenging that they've ever played at Glastonbury.

Edit: and Pyramid Song has actual videos on YouTube where young men concentrate very hard to work out what its time signature is. 

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1

Pyramid Song and EIIRP are still pretty big Radiohead songs played quite early on in the set. 

During the In Rainbows tour, EIIRP was their set closer most of the time. 

Radiohead at glasto 2017 was them at their most accessible. In 2003, their even play fewer hits and more 'weird' new stuff (Sail To The Moon, Sit Down Stand Up, Where I End And You Begin). 

Opening this thread is like opening a can of worms of course. 😉

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Come on, I am one of those hard core fans who loved it, but Everything In Its Right Place is casual fan friendly? The rendition played at Glastonbury played with the idea of having a time signature to its extremes.

I don't think it was a particularly obscure setlist, but that version of that song was probably the most challenging that they've ever played at Glastonbury.

Edit: and Pyramid Song has actual videos on YouTube where young men concentrate very hard to work out what its time signature is. 

Great post. Especially the edit!