Radiohead Vs Radiohead Vs Radiohead

stuartbert two hats

1. 2017

2. 2003

3. 1997

9. Pablo Honey

No, that's not reverse chronological order. Yes, I'm saying their classic 1997 performance is their worst showing on the Pyramid.

Weak sound, terrible lighting, relatively sloppy playing, and missing all the little details and soundscaping that makes a Radiohead performance special.

Fight me.

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

1. 2017

2. 2003

3. 1997

9. Pablo Honey

No, that's not reverse chronological order. Yes, I'm saying their classic 1997 performance is their worst showing on the Pyramid.

Weak sound, terrible lighting, relatively sloppy playing, and missing all the little details and soundscaping that makes a Radiohead performance special.

Fight me.

I agree. I always loved the 2003 set more than 1997. The latter, although great, seems to have developed a self-fulfilling reputation based little on the actual set. 2003 was glorious, and 2017 even better for me, largely because of the setlist and the fact that I was there.

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not necessarily good or bad. Just clearly of a different era.

I guess the way the way that the quality of the filming has improved as the BBC have added more and more cameras also plays a part.

Ah. Sure. 

The 2017 no-screens thing though. 

What we’re they (or whoever) thinking?

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

1. 2017

2. 2003

3. 1997

9. Pablo Honey

Fight me.

No fight from me, I think that’s spot on. Although freely confess, very biased towards the 2017 set as it was the only one I was actually at. The set list that night though was absolutely perfect for me. Having dreamt of seeing Radiohead headline the Pyramid for many years, that crowd participation of ... “for a minute there I lost myself....” over and over was, for one listener at least, very, very emotional.

9 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Ah. Sure. 

The 2017 no-screens thing though. 

What we’re they (or whoever) thinking?

I don't know but I'm offended by it to this day. Ed admitted in an interview the other day that they called the '17 setlist wrong. Ed, it wasn't just the setlist, mate.

• Upvote 2

Having only been at 17 I can't really judge. 17 was perfect if you were in the pit, though. I'll never, ever forget that night. I ended up on my own, made friends with a load of randomers stood around me and we were belting out every word. Pyramid Song was spine tingling. 

• Upvote 1

2017 - failed to get tickets for 1st time since I started going in 2004, had a little cry during the beeb coverage then fell asleep (had walked up Ben Nevis that day, was f'ing knackered).

2003 - OH tells me his mate at uni has sold him a spare glasto ticket. No, he doesn't have any more.

1997 - 13 year old Simsy reads about glasto in NME and thinks it looks amazing (despite the mud). Can't wait till I'm old enough to go!

Obviously their best set was the secret 1 in the Park in 2011. Guy in front passed out face down in the mud, apparently he wasn't on anything, just overwhelmed at being there.

4 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

I was so looking forward to seeing them, and that utterly ruined it for me. I had no idea what was going on. 

Yup, 2017,  an hour of turgid nurdling and self indulgence which only the hardcore fans could have loved,  followed by the final fantastic 45 minutes when, for me as a fairly casual fan who only really knows their 'popular; stuff, all was forgiven.  The lack of any coverage of what was happening on the stage only compounded the boredom factor during that first hour.  Nearly left but glad I didn't.

3 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

Tool

Have to appreciate the comment. 

I grew up a huge fan of TOOL and took a while to embrace Radiohead fully. I was always more on the metal side. Since expanding my taste and listening to a much wider variety of music over the last 10 years, as much as 15 year old me would be upset to hear it, Radiohead are far superior. TOOL are legends, but in a much narrower sphere. Any band with tunes ranging from Creep, to Street Spirit, Karma Police, Idioteque and Reckoner has to win out.

2017 one is the only one I've seen live and despite the criticism I loved it and controversially think they were way better than Foo Fighters (whom I also like but I thought Dave was a bit self indulgent and some of his banter was just a bit boring!) 

I think 1997 might just be a capturing the zeitgeist kind of thing. Most casual Radiohead fans basically tuned out after OK Computer and seem to think a greatest hits set is just playing those songs over and over. It was probably their time, their moment. 

1 hour ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I don't know but I'm offended by it to this day. Ed admitted in an interview the other day that they called the '17 setlist wrong. Ed, it wasn't just the setlist, mate.

1 hour ago, deepkittycaz said:

I was so looking forward to seeing them, and that utterly ruined it for me. I had no idea what was going on. 

It’s baffling. 

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

2017 - failed to get tickets for 1st time since I started going in 2004, had a little cry during the beeb coverage then fell asleep (had walked up Ben Nevis that day, was f'ing knackered).

2003 - OH tells me his mate at uni has sold him a spare glasto ticket. No, he doesn't have any more.

1997 - 13 year old Simsy reads about glasto in NME and thinks it looks amazing (despite the mud). Can't wait till I'm old enough to go!

Obviously their best set was the secret 1 in the Park in 2011. Guy in front passed out face down in the mud, apparently he wasn't on anything, just overwhelmed at being there.

Actually 2010 not full Radiohead but Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood would take some beating. I heard rather than saw as I was behind the sound desk but as people left everyone was still singing Karma Police all the way from the Park to the Pyramid Stage. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Actually 2010 not full Radiohead but Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood would take some beating. I heard rather than saw as I was behind the sound desk but as people left everyone was still singing Karma Police all the way from the Park to the Pyramid Stage. 

Haha, in 2010 we heard them from a distance and went "is the TBC on the Park Radiohead?" We got over there just in time for the final chord and "thank you Glastonbury" 🥺

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

One of my favourite ever Glastonbury sets. Nobody I was with was very impressed and all left before the end, but I loved it so much. The Karma Police singalong continuing as the crowd walked away and slowly fading as the crowd dispersed in different directions throughout the festival was such a lovely moment.