International Volunteers

gearbm95

As an international attendee (USA), has anyone had any experience volunteering and working Glastonbury? I lucked out and was able to get tickets back in 2019 and had the time of my life, tried for tickets in 2020 but was unsuccessful. I'm desperate to find a way to make it back in 2021 but it doesn't look like many tickets will be going back on sale. I did some research on volunteering this year, before the fest was cancelled, and couldn't find any organizations that would accept Americans. Anyone know of any volunteer opps for international attendees?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, gearbm95 said:

As an international attendee (USA), has anyone had any experience volunteering and working Glastonbury? I lucked out and was able to get tickets back in 2019 and had the time of my life, tried for tickets in 2020 but was unsuccessful. I'm desperate to find a way to make it back in 2021 but it doesn't look like many tickets will be going back on sale. I did some research on volunteering this year, before the fest was cancelled, and couldn't find any organizations that would accept Americans. Anyone know of any volunteer opps for international attendees?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you'd need a working visa for volunteering.

It's complicated.

Basically - there was a change a few years ago, and under the current guidance the UK rules are that most visitors can carry out up to 30 days voluntary work for a registered charity as long as doing so is not the primary purpose of your trip. Which obviously is an annoyingly subjective criteria.

So in theory you should be able to declare that the primary purpose of your trip is general tourism, and then work for one of the charities that staff the festival (eg Oxfam, WaterAid, Shelter) but not any of the commercial organisations (eg Festaff, DCSS, CTM). So you'll need to investigate the options available to you, check whether a company is a registered charity or not, and whether they'll accept you.

I know Oxfam definitely do accept overseas volunteers, but they ask you to take responsibility for ensuring that you understand and meet the rules. Though I suspect that some of the others may decide that it's easier just to limit it to UK applicants as there's no doubt / admin involved and they know they can fill the places domestically.

• Like 1