The first headliner you saw at Glastonbury

efcfanwirral

My first fest ( a late bloomer :) ) was 2009. I think, if my memory is collect was Bloc party on the other stage, i'd also just finished watching the Horrors on the park before hot footing it over to the other to meet friend to so see Bloc party to the finish before moving off to the SE corner.

8 hours ago, henry bear said:

I was at the latter. My first time seeing Bowie - The Glass Spider Tour was a bit of a dog’s dinner though.

Agreed that Glass Spider was not a highlight, but I was 21, just finished at Cardiff, and after two days of Glastonbury was in a good frame of mind. Enjoyed it, and glad I went as I never got to see him again. Our friend stayed at G because he wanted to see Van Morrison. Luckily, he returned in 1989 so I saw him then :)

As my first year was 2009, i wanted to see ALL of the site and stages and ran around like a nutter because we had to leave on Sunday night because i was working very early the next day ( a mistake i would never make again ) and i missed Blur :( , i was not into Bruce Springstien  or Neil Young, so my first Pyramid headliner was Gorillaz on 2010

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Do you mean Pyramid headliners Neil?  Or is that across all stages?

In 1986 there wasn't much more than the pyramid. I can remember I saw a reggae band on the 2nd stage, think it might have been misty in roots or Aswad.

Back then, if you could remember much you weren't doing it right :P

Edited by Neil

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

In 1986 there wasn't much more than the pyramid. I can remember I saw a reggae band on the 2nd stage, think it might have been misty in roots or Aswad.

Oh yeah, in 1986 absolutely!  It was the "last headliner" bit that threw me, do you just mean you've not seen a Pyramid headliner since then?

Just now, Quark said:

Oh yeah, in 1986 absolutely!  It was the "last headliner" bit that threw me, do you just mean you've not seen a Pyramid headliner since then?

Erm.... Who was the last headliner to play the pyramid? 

Just now, Neil said:

Erm.... Who was the last headliner to play the pyramid? 

Ah. Engaging brain now...

I read it as 1986 was the last time you saw a headliner, was genuinely intrigued by where you'd been going in the evenings for the last 30+ years!  :lol:

Ha. Turns out my first was actually Psychedelic Furs, as they apparently played on the Friday. I wasn't much bothered with them tho, I like them a lot but I don't like Mirror Moves which was their latest.

Saw the Furs for a second time a few years ago in the Fleece in Bristol. Enjoyed that loads.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

My first camping weekend was 1986- we arrived Friday night and the poster tells me Psychedelic Furs headlined which I think I saw but to be honest I really only vaguely remember. Missed The Cure to see Billy Bragg in the acoustic tent - it was raining! 🙄

Vague memory but in 1982 I am sure Rodger Chapman played the Pyramid on Thursday night! I recall him banging a shoe box as percussion. Would be great if someone could confirm this or tell me I`m mad. If thats wrong then Randy California headlined Friday interrupted by a power cut with a 30 minute drum solo whilst they tried to get it back on. Those lasers though...........................

Had got a ticket in the resale my first year 2015. Started reading on here during the lead up & smaller stage poster drops which lead me to my first headliner. 

After the early evening vibes of Caribou I left all my friends up at the park before SFA and made my way (not quite sure where I was going) to the Avalon for Manchester electronic/trip hop duo Lamb.

The atmosphere walking down the railway track that first evening of music was electric, like everything had fallen into place and I was just right where I belong.

By the time Lamb performed ‘Gabriel’ I was already a little emotional...knowing only at Glastonbury could you have such an experience - and I’ve had many more of those moments since

Panic! At the Disco, Other Stage 2008.

I remember thinking the crowd was small compared to the one for Vampire Weekend earlier in the day. To be fair, kerrang emo bands are fairly niche for glastonbury. I was by myself, but the crowd as small as it seemed, were really there for them and into it, singing along to everything - unlike other acts where there's a fringe of 'wanted to see what the fuss was about'.

Ian Brown, New Bands Tent, 1998. Think this was the first year they had it, the location then by the railway track. Attached the map to show just how much the site has increased. 
Remember the tent being packed, him teasing the crowd a fair bit "Roses requests?", and the show being stopped a couple of times because  people were climbing up the gantry thing in the middle of the tent. 
Great atmosphere, the set was pretty much just the first album as I remember. 

VaUgcd_SalGDLNJJ503w_9MEDm_bvod8kznEzE1y