The first headliner you saw at Glastonbury

efcfanwirral

Oasis in 2004. I'd been at the front all day. You know how you sort of... stop pooing for a couple of days when you go camping? Well it decided to announce itself halfway through their set. So I had to make my way back from the front row of the pyramid to Pennard (!) to get some toilet roll then go back out to the longdrops at the top of the field. Talk about a photo finish.

I spent the rest of their 'set' in my tent feeling a bit overawed by the whole thing (Glastonbury, not the poo) 

On 6/27/2020 at 3:50 PM, Dark Star said:

Ian Brown, New Bands Tent, 1998. Think this was the first year they had it, the location then by the railway track. Attached the map to show just how much the site has increased. 
Remember the tent being packed, him teasing the crowd a fair bit "Roses requests?", and the show being stopped a couple of times because  people were climbing up the gantry thing in the middle of the tent. 
Great atmosphere, the set was pretty much just the first album as I remember. 

VaUgcd_SalGDLNJJ503w_9MEDm_bvod8kznEzE1y

I've seen someone talk about that gig (possibly on here?) - one lad dropped some acid and then climbed up the pole in the middle and started doing monkey impressions at him which caused the gig to be stopped?!

I am having an absolute nightmare in these threads. After figuring out my first ever act was Kaiser Chiefs I've now just discovered my first headliner was Skrillex. I wasn't bothered about who we saw so went along with my mate and stood at the back near the ice cream van :lol: but even still...I don't deserve tickets anymore.

9 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I am having an absolute nightmare in these threads. After figuring out my first ever act was Kaiser Chiefs I've now just discovered my first headliner was Skrillex. I wasn't bothered about who we saw so went along with my mate and stood at the back near the ice cream van :lol: but even still...I don't deserve tickets anymore.

I can't believe I spoke to you at the meet. I feel dirty :D

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Is that Ant Mcpartlin carrying those? No wonder he has issues

Dammit, I'm trying to reconcile my feelings on whether battles with addiction are appropriate comedy fodder against the fact that my initial reaction was to laugh at an impressive likeness!

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Dammit, I'm trying to reconcile my feelings on whether battles with addiction are appropriate comedy fodder against the fact that my initial reaction was to laugh at an impressive likeness!

It is a fine wobbly line we all have to follow and know when to step over

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I will happily take them off your hands although the fact that Gorillaz were my first and I loved them even though everyone says they were shite probably damages my reputation somewhat as well. :D 

9 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I really enjoyed the Gorillaz also

Often the way though that you hear the complaints more, the same with most things.

I suppose at your first headliner you also have nothing to compare it to. For me just to be able to say that I saw Lou Reed live will always mark it as special. Would I have preferred Blur the year before absolutely but I went away from that set perfectly happy. 

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I will happily take them off your hands although the fact that Gorillaz were my first and I loved them even though everyone says they were shite probably damages my reputation somewhat as well. :D 

We taking headliners? If so consider that swap deal accepted.

Gorillaz performance may not have gone down too well but they’re still a lot more credible than Skrillex :D 

10 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

We taking headliners? If so consider that swap deal accepted.

Gorillaz performance may not have gone down too well but they’re still a lot more credible than Skrillex :D 

No I was talking tickets :D I'm never giving up my only chance to say I saw Lou Reed live!!

• 3 weeks later...