The first headliner you saw at Glastonbury

efcfanwirral

Following on from the other thread about first act, it gave me the idea for the first headliner you saw at the festival. 

I'll start - mine was Doves in the John Peel tent in 2009. Fair to say this is a great memory and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Never connected with Neil Young and my friends were seeing Bloc Party, so off I went with a random we met at the campsite to watch an absolute masterclass of a performance from nearly on the barrier. I'd love it for them to return at the next festival! 

Stormzy. Was good what I remembered, got to the pyramid late and hard to get a good position, was stood right hand side and he was as brilliant. I’m embarrassed my first Glasto was only last year but we all start somewhere. Stormzy, Chems and The Cure feels like a brilliant trio to start. 

32 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Stormzy. Was good what I remembered, got to the pyramid late and hard to get a good position, was stood right hand side and he was as brilliant. I’m embarrassed my first Glasto was only last year but we all start somewhere. Stormzy, Chems and The Cure feels like a brilliant trio to start. 

I wouldn't be embarrassed, mine is hopefully next year!

R.E.M. in 2003 was my first ever headliner, and they were bloody amazing.  The fact the next night Radiohead were equally stunning made it a very good first festival

Edited by Greenelk
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Arcade Fire 2014, in the front pit, was perfect. 

Same for me. Couldn’t have picked a better first headliner at the time for me and they were fantastic. I’d be surprised if they headlined again so I’m really glad I got to see them up there. I was listening to Reflektor today actually and it took me right back to them opening with it that night.

Would have been Neil Young on main stage in 2009. I wasn't a fan before, but went as my mates were all going and I'd spent a lot of the day of on my own doing my own thing. Didn't really enjoy it much & neither did my mate who was really into Neil Young.

Went to Bruce Springsteen the next night, having previously not been a fan, and was completely won over.

Jay Z 2008 was my first headliner.

"But... But that was the Saturday night wasn't it?" I hear you ask. Why, yes it was my equally obsessed friend. I had my end of school Leaver's Ball on the Friday. While some ditched the ball for Kings of Leon and the Fratellis I and my mates decided to go for the ball. My Dad agreed to pick the three of us up at 2am and drive us to my Mum's house (separated, 3 hour round trip for him - absolute legend!).

We arrived with adrenaline medicated hidden hangovers with no idea what to expect, where we were going or what to do around Saturday lunchtime. We ended up camping next to the ribbon tower via what I have since learned to be a lengthways trip through the entirety of Park Home Ground (cheers [best mate]).

Hangovers revealed themselves with a half pint from the cider bus during Seasick Steve on the pyramid. A moment I have in black and white canvas on the wall right now. Was a very quick festival but still to this day the best weekend of my life (I think...)

2 hours ago, Watergirl said:

According to my program it was the Levellers on the Pyramid in 1994, though I can’t say I remember it well.

A seminal set it was too - first time I saw them live - what a way to start! Not sure what my first gig at the big G was though - might look up the line up and work it out...