What’s the first set you saw on Worthy Farm?

Ryan1984

37 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

The Pharcyde on the Thursday in 2013 at Silver Hayes... Exactly why you can't rule out Wednesday and Thursday for music...or Silver Hayes (occasionally) 

I remember it kicking off (sort of) at that.

it had started to rain so loads of people ran for cover from the adjacent cocktail bar which had no covering about 5 mins before The Pharcyde were due on.

we arrived to watch them but couldn’t get in the tent as the refugees from the cocktail bar were stood at the entrance to the tent facing out and refusing to let us through and into the nearly full tent as they knew it would push them out into the rain. 

a lot of people further back also trying to get into the tent started pushing forward causing me and my group and a few others into the cocktail bar refugees who got annoyed at their drinks going everywhere and pushed back causing a few arguments and angry faces

I managed to get just inside the tent and one of the Pharcyde noticed just as they came on stage what was going on and said ‘hey I knew you guys facing away from the stage are only here sheltering from the rain but some of our fans can’t get in so give your space up and if you are staying at least do the decent thing and face the stage!’

Luckily some of them did move but a fair few still refused until the rain ended 15 or so mins later and they all ran back outside 

🙄

The people we were with argued Maximo Park in 09 for me doesn't count as we couldn't get anywhere near it. They're probably right. 

No idea who I first saw that year, spent ages in the cabaret bit slowly working my way out, think the first band I might have seen was N.E.R.D? Looking at the line-up reminded me I watched Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip on the Friday, feels like a freebie memory ahah.

Mine was The 1975 in William’s Green on the Thursday in 2014. I wasn’t a big fan at the time but Metronomy were the other secret set that night and I think we thought Metronomy were on first. The main thing I remember from it was Matty Healy fuming because someone launched a can at him, Metronomy were very good though.

1 hour ago, paulshane said:

Something in 1995, can't remember what though :D Possibly the Ozrics? all lost in the mists of time :)

Pretty sure mine was Senser who played right before the Ozrics. But 95 is a long time ago though so I can't be sure :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, andyhh said:

2010 - Rolf Harris.....😕

I saw him in 2009 and I seem to recall that the crowd was so packed they stopped letting people access the area? (the stage he was on doesn’t exist anymore I don’t think but I couldn’t tell you what it was called)

5 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Thought this could be fun. Who did you see play the first set of your first ever Glastonbury?

Mine was The Darkness on the Pyramid Stage, 2003.

Same as me. Front row. Stayed for Inspiral Carpets & Echo and the Bunneymen immediately after.

I remember Love on the Rocks very well. 

It is quite possible that the first full set we saw in 2007 was Mik Artistik's Ego Trip in the Avalon Cafe. We grabbed some seats in there and caught half of the previous act and decided to hang about and have some hot chocolates with shots of stuff in that they were serving there. Saw them again that year and it became a tradition to see them every year since, and other times in London, and they even played a mate's wedding party.

Edited by cdm22

Following my first headliner post I've found this thread to add mine.

We wandered past Los Campesinos on the Other Stage and something Glade-y on Glade on our search for the Pyramid where the first full set I and my mates saw was Seasick Steve (2008). Given the state we were in it was a lovely way to start. We had no intention though - we were just getting our bearings. Have loved Steve ever since though as his brand of blues and shaggy dog stories is just excellent.

Damien Dempsey in Leftfield on the Thursday, 2007.  On the Friday it's all a bit of a blur but looking back at the lineup I have a horrible feeling it was Mr Hudson & The Library on Other.  Or it might have been Reverend & The Makers.

Don't judge me.

I'd tried to see some stuff in the Queens head on the Thursday afternoon of 2008 but it was rammed and not that pleasant, so the first full set was DJ Yoda in the silent disco that evening (which i think was down in the dance village that year). It was the first time i'd seem him do an AV set and it was absolutely amazing. He played a video of Paul McCartney "singing" Wiley wearing my rolex. Macca at the time was about to divorce Heather Mills. Genius. 

I have posted this before but I think it was Ozomatli on the Jazz World stage as was on the Thursday of 2003.  It was just that there wasn't officially bands on on the Thursday so I thought my memory was wrong but someone on here said they did have bands on on the Thursday to 'soundcheck' the stage but then got into trouble for it so was stopped.

1st band on Pyramid was Inspiral Carpets on the Friday morning of that year

The first set I remember seeing was The Warm Jets on the Friday on the Other Stage (or NME as it was probably called back then) in 1998. It was pissing it down and most of the crowd were just standing there moping, apart from me and my mate Carl who were dancing around like loons in the mud - the singer dedicated a song to us!