Glasto Food

FluffBall

50 minutes ago, Northern Soul said:

I have a Goan fish curry question. Have any Glastonbury goers ever had one at Glastonbury AND one actually in Goa? The Glastonbury one gets a lot of love but I have never eaten one. I have however eaten one in Goa. It was vile. I love a curry as much as the next person, I really do, however, curries in India bare no resemblence to curries over here, if you have a chicken curry in India for example, you will not get a curry with lovely diced cubes of chicken breast, you will get a curry that includes just about every part of the chicken you can imagine including bone fragments. It may be that the Glastonbury Goan fish curry is truly wonderful but I was just wondering if anyone has had them both here and in Goa, just to give me a comparison, as in my experience there is a whole world of difference between "British" curries and Indian ones.  

Yep. Had a load of different foods across India. Some similar to UK food, some very different. Samosas, momos and pakoras most recognisable. Goan fish curry pretty similar. Preferred the Xacuti though. 

I like this recipe. Made lots of times. Really tasty and we'll worth the effort.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/mar/29/how-to-cook-perfect-goan-fish-curry?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Like everywhere - had some amazing food across India and some not so great!

Edit: I'm agreeing btw!!

Edited by semmtexx

23 minutes ago, Northern Soul said:

I have a Goan fish curry question. Have any Glastonbury goers ever had one at Glastonbury AND one actually in Goa? The Glastonbury one gets a lot of love but I have never eaten one. I have however eaten one in Goa. It was vile. I love a curry as much as the next person, I really do, however, curries in India bare no resemblence to curries over here, if you have a chicken curry in India for example, you will not get a curry with lovely diced cubes of chicken breast, you will get a curry that includes just about every part of the chicken you can imagine including bone fragments. It may be that the Glastonbury Goan fish curry is truly wonderful but I was just wondering if anyone has had them both here and in Goa, just to give me a comparison, as in my experience there is a whole world of difference between "British" curries and Indian ones.  

You're right, they're 99% different. The style here seems to be summarised as BIR, British Indian Restaurant, and the food across India does its own thing (well, it was there first). Maybe the dahls are similar, but the meat dishes are great as long as we don't look for our standard names like Madras.

To get similar dishes, I think South India/Kerala will be the same here. My favourite is Beef Chilli Fry which I've had here in the UK, and got a recipe for, as well. I'm hungry now.

On 6/27/2020 at 12:39 AM, MrZigster said:

:) Reminded me of a bit of old banter (and possibly a very old joke).

A mate of mine had just opened a takeaway. He was asked, "Do you deliver?".

Mate (offended) "No, we do Chicken, Beef and Pork. Prime cuts only. No offal".

You reminded me of a mate, who came out of the pub, went to the takeaway, asked if they did deliveries and got them to take him home with the curry.

17 minutes ago, carlosj said:

You reminded me of a mate, who came out of the pub, went to the takeaway, asked if they did deliveries and got them to take him home with the curry.

Genius. 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:46 AM, Mr.Tease said:

Ack! That must have been devastating!

To make it, start by going to their website to get an idea of which wrap you want to re-create, and get the ingredient listed:

https://www.happymaki.co.uk

I normally go for: avocado, red pepper, cucumber, some sort of tofu/fake duck or fake chicken, sweet potato.

I get this Yutaka sushi rice (Yutaka also do a very nice Katsu curry if you want to re-create Wagamama's vegetarian Katsu curry dish, plus the sushi rice is the same as their sticky rice that it's served with) :

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253656458

I get their Nori too (some Nori is difficult to tear with your teeth when your eating it, but this one is fine)

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253662911

I also get their ginger pickle for it too:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/296869141

and some sesame seeds and some Soy sauce

Finally, this is the rice vinegar stuff (it saves you having to add sugar and faff about with normal rice vinegar):

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/276786073

All instructions on how to cook the rice are on the rice packet, and then adding the vinegar instructions are on the vinegar bottle. For the rest, follow this video:

I cut it in half, but don't bother cutting it any more than that. Once you've done it once it's a lot less faffy than it looks!

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks for the tips, the burritos turned out pretty good! I just wish I had wasabi! 

6B3B74E4-C719-472D-866F-B8B9099DB098.jpeg

F17E7F73-5217-406F-8EE2-9DBC85D4E691.jpeg

10 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

One of my favourite Glastonbury foods. Always have some on the Wednesday or Thursday evening.

I love their kedgeree. Just wish they'd serve it all day rather than only for breakfast. They're missing a trick there.

8 hours ago, carlosj said:

Genius. They all use mopeds 'round this way so you'd have to carry a helmet with you for that to work here.

3 hours ago, Flysheet said:

We had our own Hare Krishna curry using the recipe off their fb page, plus the obligatory nighttime pancakes 

958F93AB-CD3C-403F-8034-6DD647865C5C.jpeg

0E3FCD52-C205-42EC-A95B-CAA8B06AF34C.jpeg

Pancakes! Knew there was something else I was missing this weekend.

Edited by MrZigster

My beautiful wife makes a version of a dish that we found early one Monday morning.. I'm NOT exactly sure where the stall was but near the pyramid stage.. 

It's was /is basically spuds and sausage and stuff cooked in great big round pots.... Anyway she /the wife has added chorizo and cheese, sometimes onion and even bacon.. All go into her big pan and out comes her own glastonbury breakfast.. 

Just thought I'd mention it.. 

55 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

My beautiful wife makes a version of a dish that we found early one Monday morning.. I'm NOT exactly sure where the stall was but near the pyramid stage.. 

It's was /is basically spuds and sausage and stuff cooked in great big round pots.... Anyway she /the wife has added chorizo and cheese, sometimes onion and even bacon.. All go into her big pan and out comes her own glastonbury breakfast.. 

Just thought I'd mention it.. 

Sounds belting that does old son.