Sziget 2021

Matt86

1 hour ago, Archi said:

Well. It's 8.30pm and still nothing.

The 'big headliner' is Muse. But not for "us", for Eurokéennes lol . It's a great name, but I have to say I was expecting something more "unusual"...

1 hour ago, thetime said:

I thought that was aimed at Eurockeennes festival and not Sziget.

lol clearly ^^ but what can we do, we have to rely on others announcements since Sziget seems to have let us down 😢 😢 Lol come on, let's be optimistic, next week !!  :D

Edited by Matt86
a mmistake

Gonna be honest guys, as a Hungarian, I wouldnt have high hopes for Sziget.

Here’s an interview with Karoly Gerendai, previous owner of the festival:

https://forbes.hu/uzlet/gerendai-nem-biztos-hogy-lesz-jovore-sziget-kozel-500-milliomba-kerult-eddig-a-valsag/

basically he is saying that the only way to know if a festival would be profitable is to look at ticket sales and they dont expect sales to go live until February/March, at which point it is pretty pointless to start looking at names still open for booking.

I would be surprised if it happened.

Picked this up from another thread. Refers to Unum Festival in Albania which takes place at the beginning of June. If Albania can take such a positive approach, then I'm sure Hungary can too.

Exciting news about Unum Festival 2021!

We are pleased to announce that we have had a successful meeting with Ministry of Health and Tourism in Albania, in order to assure you that next summer's festival will be taking place as planned. Everyone attending the festival will be tested beforehand or have the vaccine if it will have arrived by that time.

The advancing technology and accuracy of rapid tests currently allows for results within 10-15 minutes, which is all that would be required to ensure you can enjoy the festival in the way it should be enjoyed!

So with full support of the Government of Albania, the festival will be held on 3-7 June 2021, on the beach and amongst the pines in Shengjin's open spaces. 

27 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Picked this up from another thread. Refers to Unum Festival in Albania which takes place at the beginning of June. If Albania can take such a positive approach, then I'm sure Hungary can too.

Exciting news about Unum Festival 2021!

We are pleased to announce that we have had a successful meeting with Ministry of Health and Tourism in Albania, in order to assure you that next summer's festival will be taking place as planned. Everyone attending the festival will be tested beforehand or have the vaccine if it will have arrived by that time.

The advancing technology and accuracy of rapid tests currently allows for results within 10-15 minutes, which is all that would be required to ensure you can enjoy the festival in the way it should be enjoyed!

So with full support of the Government of Albania, the festival will be held on 3-7 June 2021, on the beach and amongst the pines in Shengjin's open spaces. 

Thats not even slightly plausible.

It's actually getting quite frustrating now. The reason we have no dates, no tickets on sale and no line-up is obviously Covid related so why don't they say so? A simple "We hope to release our dates etc at the end of January when we see what impact the vaccine has across the world" would give me hope that the organisers are expecting to hold a festival in 2021!

2 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

It's actually getting quite frustrating now. The reason we have no dates, no tickets on sale and no line-up is obviously Covid related so why don't they say so? A simple "We hope to release our dates etc at the end of January when we see what impact the vaccine has across the world" would give me hope that the organisers are expecting to hold a festival in 2021!

I started the process of a refund yesterday, will go in 2022. Going for the rock werchter and mad cool combo.

Edited by thetime
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, thetime said:

I started the process of a refund yesterday, will go in 2022. Going for the rock werchter and mad cool combo.

My daughter is taking her GCSEs in June and July (pushed back a month because of Covid), otherwise I think we could have been tempted by Mad Cool too. 

3 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

My daughter is taking her GCSEs in June and July (pushed back a month because of Covid), otherwise I think we could have been tempted by Mad Cool too. 

Yes its one of the last few on the European bucket list. Decent line up, nice weather and reasonably priced hotel.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember if anyone gave the translation of the previous Sziget owner interview ( the 8 of December ), so here we go :

"Smaller festivals aimed at local audiences might take place in 2021, former Sziget Festival owner and organizer Gerendai Károly told Forbes Hungary. When it comes to major events with an international audience, the ability to plan ahead is vital. With no possibility to predict what could happen until next summer, it’s too risky to even consider a major event with a budget like Sziget

“In the case of these events, it’s important to know about the attendance and how much you can spend. Until now, it depended on the early ticket sales how much we can make this plannable,” Gerendai said. “This year, we can’t even start the early ticket sale, and it won’t be worth beginning until February or March because nobody knows anything about the summer.

The question is if it’s even worth having a go at an event with a budget of tens of billions under these conditions”. The event might be considered with a delay of early ticket sales until the spring and a smaller budget but even this way, the risk would be high.

Normally, the first early-bird ticket and pass sales for Sziget Festival begin in October. At this time of the year in 2019, the event already sold a third of its passes, while in March, when the public health situation led to the cancellation of the event, more than half of all the passes were sold.

This year, in turn, Sziget can’t even consider starting its early-bird ticket sales until the situation doesn’t become at least a bit more predictable. This, of course, hurts the event’s bottom line. Gerendai, who still retains a 15% ownership of the event, revealed that Sziget has already taken out a 4 million euro loan. He also told Forbes that he already pushed close to 1.4 million euros of his own funds into his businesses which have all felt the effects of the pandemic. "

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Festcrazy said:

Are you sure that Sziget doesn't have the same problems as Exit? Exit is probably moving to Croatia cuz of problems with funding.

No not really.

They are owned by superstruct entertainment.

https://gigaddict.co.uk/superstruct-entertainment-buys-big-with-uk-festivals/

The difficulty sziget might face is the majority of the crowd in non hungarian, which leads to a host of problems with the current situation. 

No news this year.

Sziget will only happen if the situation
gets better in the next 2-3 months or
if there's a safe, working vaccine.

If things don't start getting better by February,
it most likely won't be held until 2022. VOLT has
a better chance of happening as most of its visitors
are Hungarian whereas poeple arrive from 100+
different countries for Sziget.

Bring Me The Horizon and My Chemical Romance 
are the only headliners rebooked for VOLT 2021.

If we'll start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel,
you should expect the first announcements for these
festivals late January / early February 2021.

Stay safe and have a wonderful Christmas!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

The vaccines exist but the need to be administered to many hundreds of millions of people. And your average Sziget-goer is unlikely to be at the front of the queue I'm afraid.

Thats the same case for all festivals though. I wonder if people in Australia and New Zealand will be even allowed to go to Sziget due to the risk of bringing it back