Sziget 2021

Matt86

25 minutes ago, Archi said:

There's just nothing new... They said indoor shows can happen with the Covid rules : masks, distance between people, good air-conditioning, not full capacity, no standing people at the bar, etc.

Yes there is, they now have datas and stuff. Sorry it's too long to translate, but I guess you can find the article in others languages too.

I still strongly believe that outdoors festivals during Summer are not that dangerous, compared to people being stuck to one another in public transports everywhere around the world.

2 hours ago, Matt86 said:

Yes there is, they now have datas and stuff. Sorry it's too long to translate, but I guess you can find the article in others languages too.

I still strongly believe that outdoors festivals during Summer are not that dangerous, compared to people being stuck to one another in public transports everywhere around the world.

French is mother tongue, don't worry. Yes, they have some datas to confirm some things but the situation will not be really different. And as long as we have to keep limited capacity for indoor shows, it's hard to make shows happen and not loose money. 

14 hours ago, thetime said:

No comparison.

True, but it's at least a step in the right direction.

As Sziget has released nothing so far, do we assume that there is no grand change of date or anything similar, they are simply waiting to see if their Govt will allow the festival to take place before announcing anything?

If so, this is a good gesture as nobody will be out of pocket due to flights and accommodation costs (except me, who has already booked his family's flights, but that's my problem!)

36 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

True, but it's at least a step in the right direction.

As Sziget has released nothing so far, do we assume that there is no grand change of date or anything similar, they are simply waiting to see if their Govt will allow the festival to take place before announcing anything?

If so, this is a good gesture as nobody will be out of pocket due to flights and accommodation costs (except me, who has already booked his family's flights, but that's my problem!)

2020 festival got announced on the 5th November last year, Hopefully it will not be long before dates.

7 minutes ago, Festcrazy said:

I know it's not popular opinion, but living in this part of Europe and situation here is really bad, so I'm not sure they'll announce anything this year :(

They will. Sziget is in 9 months now, it can not be cancelled that early, especially considering every single other fest' has announced their date + many names. Including August festivals like Reading. Plus, they really are looking for solutions in England (massive tests etc..) so it is way to early to consider Sziget is not going to happen.

But I have to say, I'm a bit surprised, even upset, by this total absence of communication. Im looking at French, Germans, English, Swedih etc... festivals, and they ALL already gave something to their fans. This lack of consideration is somehow disappointing, coming from one of the tallest fest' in Europe .. 😕

15 hours ago, mashinko said:

Full capacity is 22k so with distance it can't be 20k. Maybe 10k max, but that's also good number and it will show us that it is possible to organise concerts in the same circumstances

It was played on Puskas Arena, which has a capacity of 67,215.

The attendance was 18,531.

Edited by #1SzigetFan

1 hour ago, #1SzigetFan said:

It was played on Puskas Arena, which has a capacity of 67,215.

The attendance was 18,531.

So less than a third of capacity. Pretty sure Sziget wouldn't be financially viable if it lost two-thirds of its ticket sales.

Glad that attempts are being made to introduce live events again though. Still nine months until Sziget and only eight months since corona really hit Europe. So more time in front of us than behind!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, Matt86 said:

They will. Sziget is in 9 months now, it can not be cancelled that early, especially considering every single other fest' has announced their date + many names. Including August festivals like Reading. Plus, they really are looking for solutions in England (massive tests etc..) so it is way to early to consider Sziget is not going to happen.

But I have to say, I'm a bit surprised, even upset, by this total absence of communication. Im looking at French, Germans, English, Swedih etc... festivals, and they ALL already gave something to their fans. This lack of consideration is somehow disappointing, coming from one of the tallest fest' in Europe .. 😕

Hope that too.

They have a really bad PR, sorry to tell.

Just out of curiosity, if tickets for Sziget went on sale tomorrow would you buy one?

From my p.o.v, I have the flights booked (on the assumption of 4-11 Aug) and accommodation booked.

The flights were carried over from this year and the accommodation is refundable until July '21 so I've not really spent that much so far.

However, for five of us it would be an outlay of around £1350 on tickets and I can't really afford to lose that, so would probably hang on until the festival was guaranteed to take place before buying tickets.

Which, for cash flow purposes, isn't that great for the festival if lots of people choose that route.

Edited by swelsbyuk

On 11/18/2020 at 9:07 PM, swelsbyuk said:

Just out of curiosity, if tickets for Sziget went on sale tomorrow would you buy one?

From my p.o.v, I have the flights booked (on the assumption of 4-11 Aug) and accommodation booked.

The flights were carried over from this year and the accommodation is refundable until July '21 so I've not really spent that much so far.

However, for five of us it would be an outlay of around £1350 on tickets and I can't really afford to lose that, so would probably hang on until the festival was guaranteed to take place before buying tickets.

Which, for cash flow purposes, isn't that great for the festival if lots of people choose that route.

Nope, too risky+ I'm not in a good financial situation right now.

I'm still sceptical about massive testing, can't afford to lose money if I'll be tested postive

Hope that spring will be better.

Still no news from Balton, Volt or Sziget so far... but I believe we are getting closer to an announcement, and not only dates ;

Someone well informed (hey Ken ;) )on others festivals said they are getting news before Christmas holidays, just like our principal leaker said here ; also, festival  "les Eurockéennes" director said they will announce something (including a pretty great name it seems..) before the end of the year.

Patience guys.. Sziget taking place in August, I believe we have a strong chance to sleep 2 hours/night for 1 week in 2021 ^^

• Like 3

Sooooo, December is here and there is still very little sign of life at Sziget. Has anyone seen or read anything locally?

Quite a few festivals in mainland Europe are announcing or readying themselves for an announcement - Mad Cool looking very good. On the back of the vaccines (not the band), there seems to be an increased optimism for events in the UK in 2021. Certainly there are quite a few being announced.

Can we still expect something this month or are we looking at early 2021 for Sziget. Because of Christmas commitments I couldn't afford tickets this month anyway tbh.

48 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Sooooo, December is here and there is still very little sign of life at Sziget. Has anyone seen or read anything locally?

Quite a few festivals in mainland Europe are announcing or readying themselves for an announcement - Mad Cool looking very good. On the back of the vaccines (not the band), there seems to be an increased optimism for events in the UK in 2021. Certainly there are quite a few being announced.

Can we still expect something this month or are we looking at early 2021 for Sziget. Because of Christmas commitments I couldn't afford tickets this month anyway tbh.

I think it's because promoters and organizers in Central/Eastern Europe are more pesismistic about the situation. I've seen and read a few talks and interviews and some of them share the optimism but some of them (maybe majority I would say) have serious doubts about vaccination and rapid tests. Maybe there are also hints that major events still won't be allowed to happen next summer in Hungary. I wouldn't be surprised because local governments doesn't seem to really care about the cultural sector.

Edited by Newjem
typo

5 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I think it's because promoters and organizers in Central/Eastern Europe are more pesismistic about the situation. 

Electric castle in Romania, which borders with Hungary announced more headliners this week. Also opener in Poland has been announcing for a while. 

I just think Hungarian festivals are a bit more laid back on announcing. 

Edited by thetime

56 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

I'm very confident we will have some news in the next 2 weeks, because many Europeans festivals are going to give us something before the end of the year.

I know for example that tomorrow we will have a big part of Les Eurockéennes's line-up, which takesplace in July, and after what Reading, Mad Cool or Werchter already announced, I can NOT imagine Sziget staying silent until 2021. So yep, my bet is on next week ^^ or at least BEFORE Christmas holidays.

Also, someone who seems to be on the inside also told us that we will get something before the end of the year ( @Sziget2020_Leaks , by the way you should rename yourself dude ;) )

35 minutes ago, thetime said:

Electric castle in Romania, which borders with Hungary announced more headliners this week. Also opener in Poland has been announcing for a while. 

I just think Hungarian festivals are a bit more laid back on announcing. 

I've said some promoters are optimistic and they want to announce some names as you mentioned those examples, but other Romanian festivals like Summer Well, Untold or Artmania haven't announced anything yet, same goes for Hungarian festivals. Festivals in Czechia haven't had any major announcement since summer.

Edited by Newjem

2 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I've said some promoters are optimistic and they want to announce some names as you mentioned those examples, but other Romanian festivals like Summer Well, Untold or Artmania haven't announced anything yet, same goes for Hungarian festivals. Festivals in Czechia haven't had any major announcement since summer.

I'm hoping an announcement soon for sziget, I've carried tickets over from this year and I'm getting itchy feet. 

2 hours ago, Matt86 said:

I know for example that tomorrow we will have a big part of Les Eurockéennes's line-up, which takesplace in July

Do you know if this announcement includes this big headliner the festival director was talking about in October?