The Gourmet Growler

stuartbert two hats

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is this a deconstruction too far?

Not in the slightest. Don't forget to 'get it out there' as yours though, as Heston Blumenthal will have it off you in next to no time, otherwise. 

I must say that what you are going to produce is, no doubt, going to be tastier than what I propose to do. However, I like to think that the meal I produce will be truly authentic, both in it's 'constitution', it's nod to the Growler produced (with love) at Glastonbury, and what it represents me as a person - yes, you've guessed it, it really is going to be a slag of a meal!

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Absolutely. I planned an entire day of drinking around having a growler in 2008, and it hit the spot right in the carbohydrated bullseye.

Was on my list as part of a bar crawl as well. Deverstation occured when I realised there was nothing to soak up booze. Fallafel just doesn't do it 

• Upvote 1

Had a good few of those in 2016. Them and the Bimble Inn cask offerings got me through the BREXIT dejection and the moist surroundings...

Went looking for them last year. Shame they're no longer a feature.

Proper ale soaking matter

14 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Was on my list as part of a bar crawl as well. Deverstation occured when I realised there was nothing to soak up booze. Fallafel just doesn't do it 

6 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Had a good few of those in 2016. Them and the Bimble Inn cask offerings got me through the BREXIT dejection and the moist surroundings...

Went looking for them last year. Shame they're no longer a feature.

Proper ale soaking matter

It's a good point, what is the best alternative now? Are oggies still going?

21 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

For my Glastonbury celebration next week, I'm planning to reinvent a festival "classic", the carbtastic Growler. I'm just trying to plan the final recipe. This is what I've got so far (in order or layering)

* High end baguette from Waitrose, toasted and buttered.

* Grilled back bacon

* Smashed avocado/guacamole

* Salt and pepper chips, tossed with finely chopped fried onion+garlic.

* Three cheese mix (cheddar, ??, ??), melted under the grill.

* Dijon mustard mayo.

Waddya think? Are the layers in the right order? Will it be too dry/wet/salty/acid?  How do the good people of eFests think I can tweak this recipe to further elevate the humble Growler?

I firmly believe it had to go, not because the basic idea was bad, but because the quality of the ingredients had fallen far, far below what we've come to expect from Glastonbury.

This sounds Gooooooooood

Oh I'm going to have to do one of these at some point now damn you.

Never had one at the festival. They looked way too messy and over cheesed and that bits would fall out with every bite.

And for that reason, I think I will go with a decent bap rather than a baguette, and an oven cooked waffle rather than chips. Should hold together nicely.