Spare a thought for......

Ayrshire Chris

With the day nearing when we should be on the farm probably many of you are like me, mood going up and down thinking about what we are missing but already thinking about next year.  Reckon though we should spare a thought for

Michael, Emily and all the festival staff who worked so hard putting on the festival just to see it cancelled.  

The many many  festival builders and the clear up squad 

the traders in food and merchandising, and the wholesalers who supply them

the three main charities who will lose the substantial donations

the many Pilton area local charities who benefit from the pilton party and working on site

those in the resale club who have an anxious wait until October and next April

the tourism and hospitality industry in Glastonbury town and the local shops

The bands, artists and performers who were booked for the smaller stages and bars who would have seen an invitation to play Glastonbury as a stepping stone in their careers. 

The festival season usually provides so much work and opportunities for so many people, perhaps for some their main source of annual income.  Let’s hope they all get back for next year.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 18

Good post and some points that I never even considered. We're all gutted it's cancelled this year but other than the £50 deposit it doesn't really affect us financially. Some of these people may have been relying heavily on that income. 

It's been said many times but these are just more reasons why 2021 will be incredible. Everyone is going to be so happy and grateful to be there.

Odds on Michael claiming "best year yet" after 2021?    1/500000000

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks for that and the links. Today is a bit poignant for us as it would have been the day we left for the festival, having a pre festival break in the town. Already looking at possibly getting to Somerset sometime soon, before the summer is over. Mrs C waiting for restaurants, shops and attractions to open at least partially. Me being a Philistine all I want is beer gardens and chip shops! Just want to climb the Tor! 

6 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Good post and some points that I never even considered. We're all gutted it's cancelled this year but other than the £50 deposit it doesn't really affect us financially. Some of these people may have been relying heavily on that income. 

It's been said many times but these are just more reasons why 2021 will be incredible. Everyone is going to be so happy and grateful to be there.

Odds on Michael claiming "best year yet" after 2021?    1/500000000

Does he not say that every year?

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thanks for that and the links. Today is a bit poignant for us as it would have been the day we left for the festival, having a pre festival break in the town. Already looking at possibly getting to Somerset sometime soon, before the summer is over. Mrs C waiting for restaurants, shops and attractions to open at least partially. Me being a Philistine all I want is beer gardens and chip shops! Just want to climb the Tor! 

let me know if you do decide on a date ... might pop over to Glastonbury and say hello :) 

16 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Respect to you Chris and I agree with what you've said a million times over. This year will surely be the best year ever that never was 😔.

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning, as by now we should have been on the road for our pre fest few days in the town but then got to thinking about all those involved in the festival, those without tickets,  those who have lost so much income etc. They’ve lost a lot more than I have. 

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning, as by now we should have been on the road for our pre fest few days in the town but then got to thinking about all those involved in the festival, those without tickets,  those who have lost so much income etc. They’ve lost a lot more than I have. 

We truly live in a time of first world problems with this I find, I'm in the same boat as you as I had many gigs and a festival in the pipeline that have all been moved to next year but then you have to consider everyone who's income relies on the festival who would be facing a greater loss, I also feel that when remembering thousands of people around the world are still losing their lives every day and we're feeling this way about a cancelled festival. It's just hard to put personal and international hardship into perspective during these strange times 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

We truly live in a time of first world problems with this I find, I'm in the same boat as you as I had many gigs and a festival in the pipeline that have all been moved to next year but then you have to consider everyone who's income relies on the festival who would be facing a greater loss, I also feel that when remembering thousands of people around the world are still losing their lives every day and we're feeling this way about a cancelled festival. It's just hard to put personal and international hardship into perspective during these strange times 

True, when I think about all that is going on, the misery,  suffering and the future consequences for so many folk, losing a festival pales into insignificance.  We’ve all got a lot of living to do before next years festival,  hopefully everyone involved with the event will be back.  Going to think positive and enjoy next weekend.

• Upvote 1

Yep as bad as it is for all of us right from the beginning I have been worried about all those whose livelihood depends on festival season.Such a horrid time for anyone in the entertainment and hospitality industry. Some of the food outlets near us have been quite inventive to keep themselves going. My particular favourite for those in the Manchester area is https://www.theottomen.com/shop/ I have no business interest in them but they do great food at not much more than supermarket prices and are really, really friendly. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I have been worried about all those whose livelihood depends on festival season.Such a horrid time for anyone in the entertainment and hospitality industry. 

Myself and my partner had a pretty full calendar of events this year, we have lost at least £20k between us.

Thankfully both now got temp jobs that have seen us avoid having to spend the savings, others aren't so lucky 

16 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Myself and my partner had a pretty full calendar of events this year, we have lost at least £20k between us.

Thankfully both now got temp jobs that have seen us avoid having to spend the savings, others aren't so lucky 

Exactly the kind of folk I was thinking about when I started the thread. Whether it’s market and food traders, security , the huge range of building trades, performers etc so many will suffer this festival/entertainments season. I’ve a friend who plays pubs, weddings etc and had work booked all the way until Xmas. Mostly now cancelled. 

Glad to hear you’ve got some temp work. 

This morning whilst driving from dropping the wife off to work whilst i am still furloughed i listened to a five part  15 mins per episode , narrated podcast from the 50 years book split into decades on BBC sounds . I had lumps in my throat constantly , i just love the history and now we come to yet another obstacle that Emily and Michael have to overcome. With the Epidemic and festival cancellation brings an uncertainty of what will happen next year, which cannot be good for them after being forced to have another fallow year. And whilst it think the festival is big enough now to survive , events of the past and certainly if this had happened then , it might not have. My thoughts go out to them at the time and i am crossing my fingers for it and their future. Next year is going to be massive, but i wonder about the internal reflection after that, time will tell.

5 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Glad you have both managed to find something. It's a really hard time for so many. 

Locally the impact is huge lots of small business’s get involved supplying staff, materials, fundraising, the costs of the different licences, the building of the site, supplying food and drink! 
lets hope they survive and are able to return next year! 
the other impact is socially people travel from all over the World and friendships are formed! I know for me it’s the social side which has effected me the most!! 

1 hour ago, Big durbs said:

very good point's Chris , although pilton party has not officially been canceled ( but has not been announced either ). i suspect it will as the Glasto Abbey event has been cancelled as well .

i have a lot of friends that are involved in Glasto and its really tough at the moment , they pin the whole years events around the Glasto and the money that brings in for them.

i did see on another thread somewhere that at least they have the 130,000 deposit's of £50 ( just over £7.7 mil ).. but of course that's " held " by see tickets until the event , so if someone wants a refund they can issue it , at least see tickets are safe !!!!

stay safe and stay strog guys .. we can get through this 

Big D

Especially since the festival tries wherever possible to support local businesses and charities.  From the local Pilton playgroup to wateraid etc charities will suffer.  Even the local group selling tea and home made cakes, should be sitting in the sun and enjoying that at the moment!  

Hope your friends can get past this summer and can then look forward to us all spending our cash in their outlets.