Northern Soul Do I Love You

marathonsteve

It's kind of hard to recommend albums because the scene was partly about finding overlooked B sides and singles that hadn't really charted from artists that didn't necessarily release albums during their recording career. There are of course some bigger artists that found their 100 BPM songs being co-opted in to the scene like Joe Tex, Ella Fitzgerald and Frankie Valli - perhaps you could give those a go if you're after artist albums rather than compilations / playlists? 

There are some really good compilations that have come out in recent years, other than the Northern Soul film (2016?) soundtrack and Northern Soul All Nighter, I can't remember which ones to recommend - my vinyl is still in the UK. There is a series of compilations with each release focusing on a different venue and the songs associated with that venue. Due to the way in which the venues were shut down by the fuzz the series gives a good idea of the chronology of the scene too. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2020 at 7:41 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

I remember being passed a Norther Soul CD by a workmate circa 2001 and it's not an understatement to say it changed my music taste forever. I'm all over this thread.

I was basically the same. It is just about the only genre I bought compilations CDs of and I even still have some in the car - if for any reason I can't connect to streaming services on a long journey then it's a never-fail back-up