Slam Dunk Festival 2021

foolee

On 7/16/2021 at 6:25 PM, jump said:

Slam Dunk are launching a new rap-metal festival, that feels like a very late 90/early 00s sentence to write. It’s not a bad line up as I’d see Ho99o9, Bob Vylan and Delilah Bon anyway.

image.jpeg.c0df83b94f8bf032644cea47bd3bcf74.jpeg

Seems mad that it’s taken this long for an event to pop up that focuses a little heavier on your ‘Soundcloud’ rap, if you will. So far, that’s been one of R&L‘s strongpoints in recent years. 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I think this is Slam Dunk taking the plunge to book metal in the way Download goers want them too. Obviously starting smaller but with growth comes a time when they will push to try for headliners that Download won't. Its been said it's needed for that crowd.

Where’s the metal on that lineup? 

Slam Dunk has been getting heavier and heavier the last few years, from booking bands like Employed To Serve, Knocked Loose and Code Orange, they’ve been doing a good job of it. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a band like Thy Art Is Murder show up at SD sooner rather than later.

But that above lineup is exclusively full of rappers and isn’t indicative of SD going in a heavier direction. I think Drown U Out is a really cool idea, though. 

Yeah, this isn’t Slam Dunk trying to compete with Download especially not by booking acts like Ho99o9. Even when Slam Dunk got Bullet For My Valentine they weren’t trying to compete with Download. 

Also when people say they want to see new headliners at Download they are talking about actually getting some new headliners in their rather shallow headliners pool rather than booking rappers.

I would say its certainly going ahead. Whether some US artists are going to be last minute casualties is up for discussion.

im going to green man festival and thundercat has just been announced who must be coming from america so you would think they’d got the logistics worked out before announcing

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Memory Man said:

I would say its certainly going ahead. Whether some US artists are going to be last minute casualties is up for discussion.

im going to green man festival and thundercat has just been announced who must be coming from america so you would think they’d got the logistics worked out before announcing

I hope so, praying for it to go ahead! Their silence on social media makes me paranoid haha

What’s the score with bands coming from the US? Do they need to isolate for 10 days prior to the event?

33 minutes ago, jump said:

To be honest there’s enough UK bands they could grab to fill any holes from the US acts not being able to preform so it’s not a major concern to me. My major worry is if they don’t fix the fucking shit bar system from last time!

Yeah for sure, plenty of acts here to play hopefully they’ll have a back up plan, but R&L the week before have a very US lineup so confident SD will be fine.

The bar ques were horrendous, I’m sure they said they had sorted them out for the festival last year but obviously covid happened to ruin it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone an idea how to enter the festival with an non-UK COVID status? On their homepage it is written that I have to provide evidence of a negative NHS Rapid Lateral Flow Test. So does that mean that they do not accept a foreign double vaccination? So far as I understood the government waives quarantine for arrivals fully vaccinated from Europe. : https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-travel-update-government-waives-quarantine-for-arrivals-fully-vaccinated-from-europe-and-usa-while-also-confirming-international-cruise-restart

Would love to travel to Leeds over that Wknd 🙂

7 hours ago, berger55 said:

Anyone an idea how to enter the festival with an non-UK COVID status? On their homepage it is written that I have to provide evidence of a negative NHS Rapid Lateral Flow Test. So does that mean that they do not accept a foreign double vaccination? So far as I understood the government waives quarantine for arrivals fully vaccinated from Europe. : https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-travel-update-government-waives-quarantine-for-arrivals-fully-vaccinated-from-europe-and-usa-while-also-confirming-international-cruise-restart

They do not accept the vaccination from abroad for the festival. You will have to do an LFT to enter. 

18 hours ago, berger55 said:

This is what the website says

"Rest Of The World: anyone entering the country will obviously need to provide documentation to the airline proving their status. We will accept all foreign certification in line with the airlines and UK customs."

https://www.slamdunkfestival.com/info

If you're still unsure it's probably best off emailing them.

10 hours ago, RonanM said:

They do not accept the vaccination from abroad for the festival. You will have to do an LFT to enter. 

Can they even log a LFT without being registered with the NHS?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LazyDavid said:

Starting to wonder whether Fever 333 might stick around a few more days to have a Slam Dunk slot. They've now got London shows on 30th and 31st August, fingers crossed! 

Going to Reading but would definitely approve if they stuck around, would be class. 

I read an interview with Matt Skiba earlier and he was talking about how much Alkaline Trio are looking forward to playing Slam Dunk and that this year is the 20 year anniversary of From Here To Infirmary and that they’re going to be celebrating that in their set. He said, ‘We’re all romantic and nostalgic so I’m sure we’ll be acknowledging that with the song choices in our set.’ 

I was already really looking forward to seeing them as I’ve never seen them before but From Here To Infirmary is my favourite album by them so I’m now looking forward to their set even more. 

On a side note, I went to a packed Rock City on Saturday night for a tribute band festival (SOAD, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, RATM & Disturbed) and it was a bloody lovely time. I am so ready for Leeds and Slammy D now 😄 

Edited by Andre91

14 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Sad - but well written post nonetheless. I think we knew some US bands would fall down. Shame its Sum. Still gassed to get in a field even if its only for a couple of bands im into. Who do we think the speical guest will be Fever 333?

Either them or Frank Carter I think