One thing you will miss .....

Crazyfool01

20 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I also really like walking back through the site at around 6am, the valley is normally a bit misty and some of the early risers are up and about, it’s then you realise that Glastonbury never stops even when you have to sleep. 

I’m one of the early risers and I love that nod of acknowledgement you get between those who are getting ready for the day ahead and those who are heading back to their tents - two very different experiences but both having the best time.

Definitely missing the build up now. I know it's supposed to be one thing I'll miss, but I'm going to cheat a bit and say the one thing I'm going to miss is the final build up, all because it is made up of... 

Looking on the webcam and seeing it's pretty much all complete ready and waiting for everyone to arrive is something I'd be doing about 100 times a day right now. It's always an amazing aray of colours and such a buzz of excitement to see. 

My group had our first ever Thursday pub crawl round the site last year and I would have currently been plotting this years route and even designing the flyer which goes in our WhatsApp group, almost like our own mini poster drop. Everyone loved it last year and it was a great way for any newcomers to get to know everyone and take in the site. We vowed to make it a tradition so there was a real excitement to cement that this year.

Finishing work next Tuesday, having a traditional Tuesday night take away pizza and some beers before setting off early doors Wednesday morning. Some of our group were all going to get the train for the first time this year so that was a new experience to look forward to. Almost had a football away day feel with the prospect of no one having to drive, just kicking back for a couple of hours on the train. with some drinks and sharing in the excitement and reality that it was finally happening. 

It's shit that none of this will be happening next week, but I take comfort in the fact that I have a ticket for next year. Just need to remind ourselves that its all just delayed and there will be a really special feeling of relief and excitement in the air when it all finally comes around in 12 months. 

Edited by Familiar2billions
  • Upvote 1

Ah, this thread 😭

I'll miss cracking open my first drink of the weekend and sitting down to have a flick through the programme at my tent, that first wander around your favourite areas of the site, getting talking to random strangers in the crowd and ending up on their shoulders, curing my sunday hangover with a massive yorkshire pud.

I'm even getting nostalgic about things I usually don't enjoy that much, like the walk from the car park onto site.  Even though its such a mission and I usually see at least one couple arguing and end up with massive backache afterwards, everyone is so excited with the anticipation of everything that lies ahead.

The Monday when it is all over

oh wait that is wrong

The Monday before the festival - Loading all the sofas for the bar onto a trailer and hoping they make it and then the drive down to site and waiting in the queue and driving on site

Oh no wait that is not it

Finding the best spot to put up the tent and cracking opening a beer while doing so

Meeting all my friends that I don't see from year to year and having a great chat

The stroll around the site on Monday evening followed by meeting said mates in the bars and chatting shit for hours

Meeting my wife at the gate when she arrives later in the week

All the amazing food I eat over the weekend

That slightly tipsy feeling and dancing in the sun to some fantastic music

The sunset set of some band which is going to set up an amazing night, that buzz of anticipation

Dancing beneath the stars

Talking to strangers where you share just an amazing moment in time and connect and then go on your ways never ever to meet again

Ah Shit Crazyfool - There really is not one moment that I can pick out. It is all those small and wonderful moments that builds up into the best one experience I can have and it is that I will miss. Man am I going to miss it

Edit to say - I am missing it now already

Edited by fred quimby
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

oh wait that is wrong

The Monday before the festival - Loading all the sofas for the bar onto a trailer and hoping they make it and then the drive down to site and waiting in the queue and driving on site

Finding the best spot to put up the tent and cracking opening a beer while doing so

Meeting all my friends that I don't see from year to year and having a great chat

The stroll around the site on Monday evening followed by meeting said mates in the bars and chatting shit for hours

The sunset set of some band which is going to set up an amazing night, that buzz of anticipation

Talking to strangers where you share just an amazing moment in time and connect and then go on your ways never ever to meet again

Ah Shit Crazyfool - There really is not one moment that I can pick out. It is all those small and wonderful moments that builds up into the best one experience I can have and it is that I will miss. Man am I going to miss it

Edit to say - I am missing it now already

I edited the description under the original post as I realised its impossible to write one thing ....nice summation :) 

50 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

oh wait that is wrong

I nearly cried reading that. 

I’ll miss the musical discoveries. These for me are usually on the Thursday where I’m not on such a strict schedule of bands and I take more risks of what I go and see. A great example would be last year when we went to see Beans on Toast, it was way too busy to be enjoyable and the crowd too dense for us to leave easily. We decided to wait it out and see the next act and the crowd thinned, but the atmosphere didn’t. The next act was Will Varley, he was bloody brilliantly and it was definitively one of my favourite sets of 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

A little tearful revisiting this thread after the weekend. Enjoyed the time to reminisce over the weekend, and it really made me think too about what I miss, and it's hard to pinpoint, but I think it's this: 

At some point during the weekend (or sometimes several points!), I'll usually have a little cry - not totally hangover induced, but just because the big emotional wave hits. You know there is nowhere else you'd rather be. That you are so happy. That everybody there just wants to have a good time. It might be when you see a band absolutely nail it, or it might be when you are having a little singalong with old friends. Often though, it's just when you are wondering around the site and it's a proper sensory overload, a real feeling of "this is incredible, I can't believe this only exists for five days, I'm so lucky". It's euphoric, it restores my faith in humanity and it sets me up for the year.  

Usually don’t get home until around very early Tuesday morning so by now I would just be waking up after a days sleep. Looking forward to chucking that bin bag full of damp sweat ridden clothing into the washing machine and emptying the carnage that is the back seats and boot of the car. Then make sure all the Glasto coverage has been sky plussed, finally get round to reading the festival programme and then prepare for the inevitable festival come down.

i really miss this!