Which day is the best?

JoeyT

Your favourite day of the festival  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite day of the festival?

• Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday
    • Monday

Cool poll

I am another rare Sunday vote. For me, I have completely settled into the groove of the festival by then. It seems the rest of the crowd has too, and it makes everything more seamless. Being further away from real life of Wednesday morning helps too. You get to be more skilled at traversing the infrastructure of the festival, from knowing which route it best from John Peel to West Holts to knowing which longdrops will have a shorter line. Sure, the end of the festival looms, but on the other hand you are filled up with all of the energy of everything you have already witnessed. Southeast corner also has a great energy on the last night with more of a die-hard vibe. Casual observers it seems have already hit the road.

Thursday The excitement of everyone being there and being part of something special thts going to happen! Best night shift of the week in the south east corner! 
I’m lucky enough to be on site on Monday watching it all come together and wandering around is fascinating! The buzz of excitement building! Watching people arrive weds morning is fun the field go from green to fields of colour!  

• Like 1

Reading this thread is really making miss glasto this year. I love everyone’s different ideas about what day is the best. I slightly fucked up, I meant to click Thursday but missed and got Wednesday instead and then read this and really want to vote Friday!

10 hours ago, mcshed said:

Friday, you feel like you've been there forever and you wake up realising it hasn't even started yet 

I really hope I get tickets for next year! (And hope it goes on). Only been going since 2011 and this is was the first time I've not got tickets. Didn't realise how much it meant to me!

When it all kicks off on Friday night. You've spent the day getting steadily more and more in the mood. That feeling when you see your mates with some amazing tunes going on. The noise and smell of the crowd. The heaving mass of Glastonbury. Total joy!

Slightly random but it's also the little things I also love, like the clang of a long drop, the flames in the distance from Arcadia, the noise all around when you finally crash in your tent and you can still hear the shouts from the crowd going strong in the naughty corner. 

3 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

When it all kicks off on Friday night. You've spent the day getting steadily more and more in the mood. That feeling when you see your mates with some amazing tunes going on. The noise and smell of the crowd. The heaving mass of Glastonbury. Total joy!

Slightly random but it's also the little things I also love, like the clang of a long drop, the flames in the distance from Arcadia, the noise all around when you finally crash in your tent and you can still hear the shouts from the crowd going strong in the naughty corner. 

The noise of the spider flames! 👌

I’ve said Thursday for much of the same reasons as everyone else, and there is certainly a bias from last year sitting in the sun at West holts before heading off to Ultimate Power and Yacht Rock however I don’t think I am ever as content with the world as I am on Wednesday afternoon sitting on the hill watching the sun go down.

Wednesday- I like the rollercoaster of the anxiety of getting there/what will the queue be like/will I get my preferred camping spot, leading into supreme relief once you're pitched, and followed by the first cooling drink and long drop wee, and the excitement of catching up with friends you haven't seen in a while, knowing you've got the whole festival ahead of you, spying new bits of the site from your tent, the first bit of exploration, checking out some of the new places, returning to some of your favourite spots, your first meal from your favourite stall,  the fun as night descends, the firework display etc etc Plus traditionally the weather has been nice and sunny and dry most of the Wednesday. I'm missing it all just typing about it!

For some reason I always have a dip in mood for a few hours on the Thursday afternoon, not sure why, plus everythings rammed in the evening- last year was especially tricky to find somewhere that wasn't.

I went for Friday.

The sunset slot on the Pyramid stage on a Friday night is (IMO) the best place on earth. It's the first time during the weekend where everyone seems to be on exactly the same vibe, and the true scale and beauty of the festival opens up before you. I love starting at the back of the field and slowly working forwards, hearing snippets of completely absurd conversations and having a boogie with my pals with some space around us. 

I think Sunday also deserves a special mention.

I absolutely dread Sunday, and it is always slog due to the lack of sleep, proper food, and either too much sun or too much mud. But then you muster up a second wind around 3pm, usually fuelled by whatever strange and possibly disgusting combination of alcohol and treats you may have left. Cut to 2am and you're still absolutely going for it, with a sort of fantastic abandon because you know reality hits just a few short hours later. It's a real feeling of squeezing every last drop of fun and beauty out of this fantastic place. 

Friday, especially waking up in the morning and knowing the music is about to kick off big style.  I do understand why wed and thurs are popular.  The feeling you get when you arrive on the Wednesday and realise you’ve the whole five days still to experience is tremendous.  

In fact every day is incredible apart from that moment you exit the site on Monday! 

On 6/7/2020 at 12:34 PM, Homer said:

I've woken up Sunday countless times thinking 'I'm done, I can't go on' and then it's ended up being the best day. 2015 would be the peak for this. Belle and Sebastian being the critical turning point. Chemical Brothers being the apex.

That sunday was probably my favourite day at the festival in 7 visits. As you say the other stage was perfect from late afternoon through to the chems which was my favourite of the 3 times seeing them headline the other stage. 

8 hours ago, Zacko said:

I went for Friday.

The sunset slot on the Pyramid stage on a Friday night is (IMO) the best place on earth. It's the first time during the weekend where everyone seems to be on exactly the same vibe, and the true scale and beauty of the festival opens up before you. I love starting at the back of the field and slowly working forwards, hearing snippets of completely absurd conversations and having a boogie with my pals with some space around us. 

I absolutely dread Sunday, and it is always slog due to the lack of sleep, proper food, and either too much sun or too much mud. But then you muster up a second wind around 3pm, usually fuelled by whatever strange and possibly disgusting combination of alcohol and treats you may have left. Cut to 2am and you're still absolutely going for it, with a sort of fantastic abandon because you know reality hits just a few short hours later. It's a real feeling of squeezing every last drop of fun and beauty out of this fantastic place. 

Decent on the Other stage too - check out the light here (there had been a huge storm earlier on):

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Zacko said:

I went for Friday.

Yeah, Sunday is great. Saturday I often try to go as hard as Friday, but fail whereas I'm happy taking it easy on Sunday and often find myself going for it more than I expected.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Decent on the Other stage too - check out the light here (there had been a huge storm earlier on):

Beautiful stuff.

I think the only act I've seen in that particular slot is Hot Chip back in 2010, similarly fantastic!

Friday is usually my favourite music day, I've gone with Thursday for overall great day as you get to mill about take in the sights and what's changed, with a bit of music thrown in too :) 

Saturday every year kills me as I always have a mid festival dip, even with great headliners - always the same :( 

When I searched my heart Sunday was the true answer.

Usually I've spent the weekend at odds with 1 particular friend and by Sunday I've had enough, go off on my own, and have the best night doing whatever I want. 

I am sad it's the last night, but that's also why I give it every last ounce I have. 

I love Sundays. 

I love the Thursday as you get to explore the sights and relax a little after all of the travelling hassle, and it’s usually the first big night of the festival when you can go and get a bit mangled. ( Shout our to Seth Troxler and Kolsch whatever year that was). 

However... the answer is clearly Friday. Find it baffling that a day with no major bands on is the highlight of the weekend. The bands that are on you have to cram into and everywhere is crowded to the point where you can’t fully enjoy yourself. 

Ranking:

Friday 

Saturday

Sunday

Thursday

Wednesday

Monday can piss off. 

The thing is with Glastonbury is the lineup is so stacked a minimum of 50%, if not more, is written off immediately through clashes. Then more often than not the weather and the scale of it ends up writing more of it off, and then depending on how hard you’ve gone on certain days that might write even more off. It’s not unusual for me to average about three acts a day that I actually see properly, with a few others sprinkled in along the way. 

None or that is a complaint by the way.

For me it’s also normally very rare that the act I’m really looking forward to the most is actually the one I enjoy the most, life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans and all that. In 2015 I was absolutely buzzing for the chemical brothers, but by the time Sunday came round I was spent, I mistimed my drinking and just couldn’t get into it all day, so just went through the motions watching it from near the back. I peaked far too late and ended up having a great night at Arcadia and the SE corner instead.

With Wednesday and More so Thursday you know exactly what you’re going to get, a fucking great time regardless, it’s a guarantee.

The caveat to that is that 2016 wrote all of Wednesday and seriously impacted on Thursday for me due to the traffic chaos.

12 hours ago, Homer said:

That was brilliant - thanks for posting. I was at West Holts for Vintage Trouble when the thunderstorm hit - one massive raindrop replacing my beer. Then over to the Other for Interpol at their best.

I've voted Saturday - I do love Thursday, but Saturday is when you really feel like you're settled in, this is your new home now, everyone's embraced the dirt and the camping life, knows their way around, it's just the heart of it for me! Plus music of course. Last year my best set was the Killers on Saturday night. 

Every festival is different and you never know which days your personal highlights will fall on until after they’ve happened, but on the whole Friday is usually by far the best (Thurs in 2nd).

- Fully settled in (I arrive Thurs most years)

- Still that sense of anticipation early on

- ”It’s STARTING!!!” When you get to your first ‘big stage’ act.

- Everything is open

- Still plenty of bimble time if that’s what you want

- the rush of your first  headliner of the weekend

- night time programme is fully loaded

- you know you’ve still got 2 more days to come.