Cider Bus Cider - Now Available Online

Dukeicon

On 6/5/2020 at 3:39 PM, Johnnyseven said:

Yep, 20 litres is a lot. Me and my mate bought a box to take to Bearded Theory last year, a load got spilt because the tap fell out the container and we still had loads left at the end of the weekend. Harder fellas could probably do better 😉

TBF, the hardest thing about a 20L box is you have to decant it all to cart around with you, but you can't carry enough for the whole day, and I can never be bothered to go back to the tent. Plus, what do you decant it into? I got one of those camel packs, but I still wanted to drink out of a pint glass, but that meant I had to hold it up really high to get everything positioned well enough to squeeze the cider out. Needless to say, it looked like I had a catheter or was on a drip or something. Not sexy...but delicious. 

14 hours ago, Dukeicon said:

If you keep it somewhere out of direct sunlight and cool, boxes of cider like that normally last a few months. Once opened the last at least a month or so in the above conditions.

When I asked them i'm sure they told me it would last for 3 months once open.

13 hours ago, Sasperella said:

TBF, the hardest thing about a 20L box is you have to decant it all to cart around with you, but you can't carry enough for the whole day, and I can never be bothered to go back to the tent. Plus, what do you decant it into? I got one of those camel packs, but I still wanted to drink out of a pint glass, but that meant I had to hold it up really high to get everything positioned well enough to squeeze the cider out. Needless to say, it looked like I had a catheter or was on a drip or something. Not sexy...but delicious. 

I just filled an old 1 litre squash bottle. Once it ran out i'd just get a drink from the bar if I wanted one. I generally don't drink loads at festivals anymore though.

46 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

What's the delivery time and how long does it keep? We'll be ordering for our Glastonhomebury extravaganza 

Ordered yesterday, despatch email today, 72hr delivery window.

That said, you know there will be a surge as the festival weekend approaches.  Get ordered. Get on the apples !!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hotchilidog said:

What's the delivery time and how long does it keep? We'll be ordering for our Glastonhomebury extravaganza 

Ordered on Sunday night, deliver yesterday morning. I’ve read somewhere that it keeps unopened for 3 months and if opened to keep chilled and drink within a month, but I can’t remember where I read that.

TBH the temptation to crack into it before the festival weekend may be too much haha

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 8:53 PM, Sasperella said:

for me, the best compromise is have one of the 4 litres plastic flaggon's in the day sack.  Usually purchased from the Co-op in Glastonbury on Monday mid pub crawl prior to heading to site on the Tuesday.  Then refilled at the staff bar in the morning.

Unless you are obsessive about having chilled drinks, it works a treat.  its bloody handy when visiting the Bimble Inn as I make sure I arrive there with an empty container and leave there with a full one.  Its one of the best and cheapest pints on site.

Typing this all seems very wishful.  I now just have to walk from my pub shed to bell tent / sun shade in the garden. 

40 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Ordered on Sunday night, deliver yesterday morning. I’ve read somewhere that it keeps unopened for 3 months and if opened to keep chilled and drink within a month, but I can’t remember where I read that.

TBH the temptation to crack into it before the festival weekend may be too much haha

Thanks to both yourself and @Jay Pee most helpful. I'll get my order in early!

Thanks for this, just ordered 10l of the medium Cider Bus and some of the Cider Brandy along with some other goodies for a fortnight's time.  Don't suppose anyone knows what else they put in the mulled cider?  Thinking some of that with (with the brandy obviously) might be a nice way to finish the festival weekend evenings around our fire in the garden.

7 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

I've been told that it keeps for 3 months after opening but...

...beware of the floaters.

Once it's been open for a while it will develop some kind of residue that'll float around the cider. The best way to describe it is like a big snot/bogey floating around your drink. I'm told this is totally normal and will not harm you...

...at least not as much as the cider itself!

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, Sasperella said:

We took 20L of Old Rosie to Glasto last year. My idea, but my two friends were super keen. We got there and half a pint in they decided they didn't like it. Needless to say, I was sick pretty much the whole way on the train back to Glasgow.

9 pints a week sounds much more reasonable :) 

I did the same one year at Glastonbury, but carried the 20L box in by myself, along with a whole shed load of camping gear etc. After pitching my tent, I opened the box and poured out some of the cider in to a plastic cup. Once I tasted it I knew that I had made a fatal error. I could not drink a single drop more of the stuff. And guess what? None of my mates could drink it either. Now it is almost unheard of for any one of us to balk at a drink, but this cider had beaten us. To add insult to injury, I hadn't exactly been green with my purchase. I had bought the 20L of Somerset cider, had it delivered to my then house in Birmingham, and then took it all the way back down to Somerset again. 

18 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I did the same one year at Glastonbury, but carried the 20L box in by myself, along with a whole shed load of camping gear etc. After pitching my tent, I opened the box and poured out some of the cider in to a plastic cup. Once I tasted it I knew that I had made a fatal error. I could not drink a single drop more of the stuff. And guess what? None of my mates could drink it either. Now it is almost unheard of for any one of us to balk at a drink, but this cider had beaten us. To add insult to injury, I hadn't exactly been green with my purchase. I had bought the 20L of Somerset cider, had it delivered to my then house in Birmingham, and then took it all the way back down to Somerset again. 

What was it?

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What was it?

Hello stuartbert,

I'm afraid it was that many moons ago now, that I can't remember. I do recall why I bought it though. It was after reading a thread like this one years ago on this site combined with my excitement for the up and coming Glastonbury Festival that year, that I got carried away and bought it. Now I've never really brought cider to Glastonbury before anyway, so this was (and will remain) very much a one off. Once bitten, twice shy and all that. For most of my attendances at Glastonbury I have always brought unholy amounts of red wine with me (in plastic bottles). However my MO for any festival in the last few years has been to limit the red wine intake and replace it with G & T. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I think that’s the first drug free story of yours that I’ve read. :) 

• Upvote 2

Might have to order one of those 10l boxes, and hopefully get some cups as well.

I notice on the store it says 'still' next to the 10l box, but not the 20l box or the bottles. Is 'still' what they sell at the bus? I only ever drink cider on the farm, and want the authentic experience!

8 hours ago, Lubic87 said:

Might have to order one of those 10l boxes, and hopefully get some cups as well.

I notice on the store it says 'still' next to the 10l box, but not the 20l box or the bottles. Is 'still' what they sell at the bus? I only ever drink cider on the farm, and want the authentic experience!

Yes, they only sell still on the farm. The 20l box will also be still but the bottles will be slightly fizzy.

Edited by Johnnyseven
  • Upvote 1