Jump to content

Latitude 2021


Chapple12345

Recommended Posts

I don't think it's likely that it is going to happen if there is a delay even of a couple of weeks as there are so many moving parts and I doubt they can work with the uncertainty. 

However, if I wanted to be blindingly optimistic, hypothetically speaking, could it happen even with a 4 week delay? That would take the covid restrictions to 19 July,  gates open on the the 22 July.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I don't think it's likely that it is going to happen if there is a delay even of a couple of weeks as there are so many moving parts and I doubt they can work with the uncertainty. 

However, if I wanted to be blindingly optimistic, hypothetically speaking, could it happen even with a 4 week delay? That would take the covid restrictions to 19 July,  gates open on the the 22 July.

When do they have to start site set up? That’s seriously risky business cutting it that fine. I think this is probably going to be cancelled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

When do they have to start site set up? That’s seriously risky business cutting it that fine. I think this is probably going to be cancelled.

I believe its about 2 weeks but they normally rely on other festivals kit which won't be used this year so could leave it later if needed. If it were 4 weeks and it went through to the 19th then I really think Melvin would plough ahead though, he wants to make festivals happen and prove his full capacity plan works so I'm gonna remain blindly optimistic even if this whole comment ages like milk. 

I could be making this up though but I seem to recall someone on the other forum said they noticed an organiser retweeted something about act availability so it's entirely possible if push comes to shove they move it later to the summer, I'm sure Melvin has all the right contacts to if he so wished 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

I believe its about 2 weeks but they normally rely on other festivals kit which won't be used this year so could leave it later if needed. If it were 4 weeks and it went through to the 19th then I really think Melvin would plough ahead though, he wants to make festivals happen and prove his full capacity plan works so I'm gonna remain blindly optimistic even if this whole comment ages like milk. 

I could be making this up though but I seem to recall someone on the other forum said they noticed an organiser retweeted something about act availability so it's entirely possible if push comes to shove they move it later to the summer, I'm sure Melvin has all the right contacts to if he so wished 

Yes, I don't know whether there are any rules around setting the site up. I think they could do it without the full restrictions being lifted, they probably just need to know it is happening. 

Melvin has been quite bullish about it happening, which is kind of his job I guess. 

Dunno, I flip flop between feeling like it won't go ahead to it might possibly go ahead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Matt42 said:

When do they have to start site set up? That’s seriously risky business cutting it that fine. I think this is probably going to be cancelled.

June 28th, just been asked to work it 

Edited by Paul ™
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

June 28th, just been asked to work it 

That is really useful thanks. 

If they are lining people up to start the site build in 3 weeks they still must be confident that it will go ahead and also that it will stick to the July date instead of moving out to later in the year. 

Doesn't mean it couldn't be pulled but it shows the intent from the organisers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hopeful that new dates will make all the difference and allow it to go ahead, especially if they're planning for the build. By the sounds of it it does sound 4 weeks would be the absolute maximum for many to agree to so I think it gives the festival a good chance of going ahead, just keeping everything crossed now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2021 at 11:23 AM, Paul ™ said:

June 28th, just been asked to work it 

With the restrictions now extending to July 19th, what’s the deal with this? Not feeling positive this will go ahead.

Edited by Matt42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really not sure, especially as Melvin has been so confident and really pushed for it to go ahead with his full capacity plan. There have been hints that outdoor events might be able to go ahead in some capacity and part of me just can't see Festival  Republic allowing there to be 2 years of no festivals. It's going to be very tight imo so we'll have to see what's said in a couple of hours

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

I'm really not sure, especially as Melvin has been so confident and really pushed for it to go ahead with his full capacity plan. There have been hints that outdoor events might be able to go ahead in some capacity and part of me just can't see Festival  Republic allowing there to be 2 years of no festivals. It's going to be very tight imo so we'll have to see what's said in a couple of hours

I think the download pilot results are so important... in theory if it goes well they could get permission to go ahead even with the restriction on place still. 

Fingers very very crossed! and toes! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I'm glad they have provided a quick response. Fingers remain crossed, see which way it goes by the end of the week. 

I think they *might* just be able to pull it off but as they're talking to government departments about it too I think that gives it a little more of a fighting chance 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

With the restrictions now extending to July 19th, what’s the deal with this? Not feeling positive this will go ahead.

Waiting to end of the week to decide I believe.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fully prepared for this comment to age like milk but I think they're going to go ahead, the CMOs and Boris were both talking about the importance of living with the virus from now on and that seems to me to suggest that they're going to carry on from the 19th regardless, this will also be harder for them to overturn with a significant amount of the population doubled dosed by then. I'm hoping this does turn out to be the case as another summer without festivals would be devastating for the whole industry 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking a little bit off piste...... if they work with the government to make it another ‘test event’ they could go ahead even if there are restrictions after the 19th. Then they could legitimately require a negative test / vaccination status as long as they whop in a few scientists to monitor things 😂 They’d just have to give refunds to those who don’t want to participate or test positive. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

Fully prepared for this comment to age like milk but I think they're going to go ahead, the CMOs and Boris were both talking about the importance of living with the virus from now on and that seems to me to suggest that they're going to carry on from the 19th regardless, this will also be harder for them to overturn with a significant amount of the population doubled dosed by then. I'm hoping this does turn out to be the case as another summer without festivals would be devastating for the whole industry 

Haha to be honest a couple of weeks ago I was almost certain it would be cancelled. BUT after the press conference last night and Latitude announcement yesterday I suddenly feel optimisitic.

Mostly because its seems July 19th is more of a certain thing than the 21st June ever was. Coupled with some good results from pilot events and them bugging ministers to let them go ahead... im about 70/30 it will go ahead now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's miniscule compared to Latitude and not camping, but in Cromer, Norfolk there is one of those small cover band festivals that is happening the weekend just before the new lockdown date (weekend before Latitude). I was sure it would be cancelled, but they have just announced that it is still going ahead just with more social distancing measures and reduced capacity. 

Now this is small and although it's a 2 day event, there is no camping. It's also 100% outdoors in open air and you're allowed to bring camping chairs so naturally socially distanced even in a normal year, but interesting that they feel confident they can press ahead. 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, @AntF said:

It's miniscule compared to Latitude and not camping, but in Cromer, Norfolk there is one of those small cover band festivals that is happening the weekend just before the new lockdown date (weekend before Latitude). I was sure it would be cancelled, but they have just announced that it is still going ahead just with more social distancing measures and reduced capacity. 

Now this is small and although it's a 2 day event, there is no camping. It's also 100% outdoors in open air and you're allowed to bring camping chairs so naturally socially distanced even in a normal year, but interesting that they feel confident they can press ahead. 

  

I think In the current lockdown rules you can have outdoor events for up to 5,000 people if they are socially distanced. Sounds like it would be under that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/will-latitude-festival-2021-go-ahead-8065770

Straight from the horses mouth, looks as if the government are potentially going to underwrite festivals if they need to cancel. I'm thinking we might get a little update today and potentially further announcements into next week such as lineup and day splits as a 'one month to go' sort of thing 

Edited by Chapple12345
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...