Latitude 2021

Chapple12345

5 minutes ago, curlyjake said:

3 of our group have tested positive in the past few days and absolutely floored by it. Felt Tuesday evening it was coming not just festival blues, but only got the positive result this morning. All had 1 dose of the vaccine and all feeling utterly horrendous. 

Been wanting to add to everyone’s reflections of a magical weekend back to what we love but struggling to see past the brain fog or look at a screen for too long. Echo people’s comment on general camping being shafted but that’s the only downer even with testing positive. Knew what we were signing up for, Don’t regret attending for one second had the time of our lives just hoping this passes sooner rather than later 

3/6 of us have it (4th would have but has natural immunity). Been ok so far and feel like I will be alright, also means i am hopefully safe for Reading because im doing Boardmasters the week before. Well worth it, honestly not bothered. Seems most of the people on here didn't get it, I am the only person whos said they have it and then your group. I think it was a bit silly to go in expecting not to get it anyway (although depends how you acted, we treated it as a normal festival with no regard for covid besides personal hygiene)

Heres the twitter search: https://twitter.com/search?q=latitude (covid OR positive) &src=typed_query&f=live

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

3/6 of us have it (4th would have but has natural immunity). Been ok so far and feel like I will be alright, also means i am hopefully safe for Reading because im doing Boardmasters the week before. Well worth it, honestly not bothered. Seems most of the people on here didn't get it, I am the only person whos said they have it and then your group. I think it was a bit silly to go in expecting not to get it anyway (although depends how you acted, we treated it as a normal festival with no regard for covid besides personal hygiene)

Heres the twitter search: https://twitter.com/search?q=latitude (covid OR positive) &src=typed_query&f=live

Sorry to hear that but glad you’re not feeling too bad, the 3 of us all fit and healthy early thirties surprised just how bad it’s hit us. Completely agree, I think my mindset going in was I WAS going to get it absolutely enjoyed it as I would any other festival. Met so many new people and definitely no caution there. 

interestingly, 3 of us were the last ones standing in the late night areas Sunday night. Group of 20+ came Saturday all fine. Hunch is we caught it late on. With the uncertainty of a lateral flow picking up results in the early stages maybe being on a festival site for 4/5 days is just a day or so too long and a 2/3 day event may result in less transmissions. No real evidence just a thought that popped in my head. Seen lots of Sunday attendees online confirm positive results 

3 hours ago, curlyjake said:

Sorry to hear that but glad you’re not feeling too bad, the 3 of us all fit and healthy early thirties surprised just how bad it’s hit us. Completely agree, I think my mindset going in was I WAS going to get it absolutely enjoyed it as I would any other festival. Met so many new people and definitely no caution there. 

interestingly, 3 of us were the last ones standing in the late night areas Sunday night. Group of 20+ came Saturday all fine. Hunch is we caught it late on. With the uncertainty of a lateral flow picking up results in the early stages maybe being on a festival site for 4/5 days is just a day or so too long and a 2/3 day event may result in less transmissions. No real evidence just a thought that popped in my head. Seen lots of Sunday attendees online confirm positive results 

About to sleep now mind you, way earlier than usual for me - its definitely the most ill i can remember being by far but it is what it is. Our LFTs only just started showing up positive today (shows how useless they are, i did my pcr tuesday morning!). 2/3 days so people who get it early can't transmit it sounds like a pretty good idea honestly.

3 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

This is a good thread basically explaining everything but I agree they'll only really pick up on people who report it afterwards, it will only be an issue if there's a major outbreak as a result but hopefully that's unlikely 

The guy says the minority got it at the festival but i honestly doubt this a lot, I know for a fact I got it there and I reckon most people will have. Also his thing about 2019 rollovers is quite funny, a huge amount of people booked onto Latitude because it was a test event - literally everyone i spoke to was a first time attendee.

18 hours ago, lemons said:

Unless I've misunderstood, in line with prevalence in general population few hundred at latitude were likely to have had covid?

A fair point, but the supposed difference is that in the general population you are mixing with a random selection of people. At Latitude, in theory, we were only mixing with people that had tested negative. I guess it was wishful thinking that everyone would be candid and honest, and that Lateral flow tests would be very reliable, but I suppose that is what was being tested.

I was working at the festival and the conditions of entry were more stringent. Even though I'm double jabbed I had to take a Lateral flow test twice over the weekend, fill in a daily health report and - this is the key point - I had to take a photo of myself holding up the negative lateral flow test that I had used and uploaded the result of. It would have been much harder to fake than merely upload a result.

Conversely, friends I met at the festivals who had come as punters reported that the checks of the gate were cursory for them at best. They all did the right thing, of course, but the paper "proof" held up could have anything written on it, so I was told.

So I guess it comes down the pragmatism. The organisers knew what was needed to be properly sure you were negative and made all their workers go through those hoops. They also knew being that thorough would put off the general public and was perhaps impractical on a large scale.

Not an unreasonable conclusion, but it does show that they therefore knew that the method of "proof" they asked of the public fell short and could, and probably would, be compromised.

Edited by sparkythetortoise

This must only be a small snapshot of those who have actually bothered to report it as well. There has been little to no follow up of the ERP requirements other than if you've got it, please report it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-58025078

Up to 20 people in Suffolk have tested positive for Covid-19 after attending the Latitude Festival, the county's director of public health said.

We've had a confirmed case in our group today. I've been doing daily lateral flows and they're all coming back negative - went for a PCR today to check, just in case.

I had an email from Big Green Coach (whom I travelled with) earlier this week to say someone on my return coach, after presenting a negative lateral flow to get on, went for a PCR to fly out of the UK and was positive.

If I do end up being negative after all this I've either recently had Covid and not known, or my awful immune system has finally got its act together!

5 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

It's a completely useless figure without knowing how many attendees have actually submitted results, negative or positive.

Is it 20 out of 100 people? 20 out of 10,000?

You can never even prove whether any of these people actually caught it at the festival either.

That figure only comprises residents of Suffolk who have reported or been linked to being at the festival. 

Obviously that doesn't include any potential cases in people from other areas of the UK.

The ERP really is a waste of time and they are simply paying lip service to it. Which will really piss off other festivals that have had to cancel.

I think the volunteer on the gate glanced at my screenshot of the covid QR but there was no close examination nor any cross referencing with the name on the ticket. Nor has there been any followup resuesting a test to be taken and results reported which sort of negates any pretence at a scientific assessment.

2 hours ago, sparkythetortoise said:

A fair point, but the supposed difference is that in the general population you are mixing with a random selection of people. At Latitude, in theory, we were only mixing with people that had tested negative. I guess it was wishful thinking that everyone would be candid and honest, and that Lateral flow tests would be very reliable, but I suppose that is what was being tested.

I was working at the festival and the conditions of entry were more stringent. Even though I'm double jabbed I had to take a Lateral flow test twice over the weekend, fill in a daily health report and - this is the key point - I had to take a photo of myself holding up the negative lateral flow test that I had used and uploaded the result of. It would have been much harder to fake than merely upload a result.

Conversely, friends I met at the festivals who had come as punters reported that the checks of the gate were cursory for them at best. They all did the right thing, of course, but the paper "proof" held up could have anything written on it, so I was told.

So I guess it comes down the pragmatism. The organisers knew what was needed to be properly sure you were negative and made all their workers go through those hoops. They also knew being that thorough would put off the general public and was perhaps impractical on a large scale.

Not an unreasonable conclusion, but it does show that they therefore knew that the method of "proof" they asked of the public fell short and could, and probably would, be compromised.

I caught the end of the talk in the Listening Post on Friday (?) morning about the future of festivals. Don't know who it was who was talking but he was either head of, or very high up in the research team. And he discussed this. And it was an element of pragmatism, not from the perspective of putting people off but more as you say, the practicalities of it. There could have been super strict testing and entry procedures. And it would have been a nightmare for people (punters and organisers/staff) and probably quite unpleasant. Or they could take the soft touch that they did, and trust people to do the right thing. And the majority would. Some wouldn't but most would. And that in itself was part of the test. Super strict testing and procedures aren't practical long term.

He also explained the differences between LFT and PCR tests and why they both have their uses (other than just cost) but I forgot the detail of that

Incredibly naive for anyone to go thinking it'd be "safe" or it was a test event in anything but name only. No requirement to actually do a test, double vaccinated and children can have covid , even if you avoided crowds you were sharing toilet facilites? No real follow up,  no real tracking of whether attendees were vaccinated or showed test . What can be learned from it ? I went knowing it was absolutely a gamble and was I willing to isolate /get ill afterwards. After seeing double vaccinated people in my life get symptomatic covid likely from a restaurant meal, weighed up that covid is going anywhere and I don't want to shut myself in forever.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, lemons said:

Incredibly naive for anyone to go thinking it'd be "safe" or it was a test event in anything but name only. No requirement to actually do a test, double vaccinated and children can have covid , even if you avoided crowds you were sharing toilet facilites? No real follow up,  no real tracking of whether attendees were vaccinated or showed test . What can be learned from it ? I went knowing it was absolutely a gamble and was I willing to isolate /get ill afterwards. After seeing double vaccinated people in my life get symptomatic covid likely from a restaurant meal, weighed up that covid is going anywhere and I don't want to shut myself in forever.

The point I was making is that the ERP events like Latitude went ahead with special dispensation while many others were forced to cancel. What's the point of that if there is no genuine scientific benefit?

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

I think the volunteer on the gate glanced at my screenshot of the covid QR but there was no close examination nor any cross referencing with the name on the ticket.

Assuming they were working to the same guidance I was given, they'd have been checking that the covid status said what it should, was currently valid (specifics depending on what type of status was being used), and that the DoB of the person broadly matched the person presenting it (though only checking it if it appeared clearly off).

I believe that trying to match the names to the tickets was tried initially, but quickly discarded as unworkable.

21 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The point I was making is that the ERP events like Latitude went ahead with special dispensation while many others were forced to cancel. What's the point of that if there is no genuine scientific benefit?

It's almost like friends of the conservative party get special treatment.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Assuming they were working to the same guidance I was given, they'd have been checking that the covid status said what it should, was currently valid (specifics depending on what type of status was being used), and that the DoB of the person broadly matched the person presenting it (though only checking it if it appeared clearly off).

I believe that trying to match the names to the tickets was tried initially, but quickly discarded as unworkable.

It's almost like friends of the conservative party get special treatment.

Yes, our status was checked carefully on entry to Family camping (we were there when it opened). They sent some people away as their child’s test was more than 2 days before. On re-entry on Saturday ours were checked carefully again. 

I want to the Goodwood Festival of Speed which was also a test event. They hardly glanced at the QR code on the NHS app. 

21 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I caught the end of the talk in the Listening Post on Friday (?) morning about the future of festivals. Don't know who it was who was talking but he was either head of, or very high up in the research team. And he discussed this. And it was an element of pragmatism, not from the perspective of putting people off but more as you say, the practicalities of it. There could have been super strict testing and entry procedures. And it would have been a nightmare for people (punters and organisers/staff) and probably quite unpleasant. Or they could take the soft touch that they did, and trust people to do the right thing. And the majority would. Some wouldn't but most would. And that in itself was part of the test. Super strict testing and procedures aren't practical long term.

He also explained the differences between LFT and PCR tests and why they both have their uses (other than just cost) but I forgot the detail of that

I went to the whole talk. The chap was Prof Iain Buchan who is from Liverpool Uni and was one of the leads on the Stage 1 ERP events. 

Can’t remember everything he said but he did mention that Latitude wasn’t just about looking at case numbers but other pieces of research related to live events. 

Also interesting to note that Melin Benn was in the audience and watched the whole talk!

Edited by rseamer

7 hours ago, rseamer said:

I went to the whole talk. The chap was Prof Iain Buchan who is from Liverpool Uni and was one of the leads on the Stage 1 ERP events. 

Can’t remember everything he said but he did mention that Latitude wasn’t just about looking at case numbers but other pieces of research related to live events. 

Also interesting to note that Melin Benn was in the audience and watched the whole talk!

I'm interested in where all this is going, because we're in a strange middle ground right now where these test events have happened but others are allowed

Did you get the impression festivals could be pulled in the near future if the results of this aren't favourable? It feels like some are getting a bit of a free pass the next few weeks and it's all pretty confusing, I'd have expected none to be allowed until the results of Latitude and Tramlines are in. I think I just don't trust the government! 

55 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm interested in where all this is going, because we're in a strange middle ground right now where these test events have happened but others are allowed

Did you get the impression festivals could be pulled in the near future if the results of this aren't favourable? It feels like some are getting a bit of a free pass the next few weeks and it's all pretty confusing, I'd have expected none to be allowed until the results of Latitude and Tramlines are in. I think I just don't trust the government! 

My feeling is that there might be additional government guidance for organisers and licensing authorities after the ERP concludes but unless the NHS is close to being overwhelmed things will continue as they are. Most festivals seem to be following the same entry requirements as Latitude.