Latitude 2021

Chapple12345

A reasonably rare 'severe' forecast for storms today runs very close to the site. As I said before the festival, the worst will be inland, but that doesn't mean we won't get any! They could be very nasty if we do, so batten down everything just in case. 

It's Sunday though, so I'm just rolling with it. If I get wet and muddy, I'll dry at home tomorrow! 

20210725_140526.jpg

46 minutes ago, JHad said:

A reasonably rare 'severe' forecast for storms today runs very close to the site. As I said before the festival, the worst will be inland, but that doesn't mean we won't get any! They could be very nasty if we do, so batten down everything just in case. 

It's Sunday though, so I'm just rolling with it. If I get wet and muddy, I'll dry at home tomorrow! 

20210725_140526.jpg

Sunday rain doesn't really matter too much. The big problem is the ground disintegrating but it's too late for that. Happy days!

• Upvote 1

Was all set for rain today but apart from a quick shower last night during Chems it’s been perfect weather all weekend- even a bit too hot this afternoon! 😎 Looks like the storm missed us completely although cloudy and a bit cooler now! 
Self Esteem earlier were good plus The Vaccines although a bit too stuffy in the tent. Massive crowd for Rick Astley and  James  Vincent McMorrow chilled out. Looking forward to to Sons of Kemet later. 

Edited by sedra
Spellcheck

45 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

How the hell have Kaisers got biggest crowd of the weekend haha!

Don't get me wrong they're decent but bizarre.

Everyone in the UK knows Ruby and I Predict A Riot.

Most know Oh My God and Never Miss A Beat.

An opportunity for a good old singalong. I'm not a massive fan but if I were there today I'd be watching.

On the bus on the way to the station. 

First thoughts. Great to be back in a field and just feeling part of humanity again. The world just felt miles away during that period from the middle of Friday to the middle of Sunday. 

The facilities were poor to average and well below what I'm used to or thought they'd be, despite already lowering my expectations. Showers were interesting, but I didn't actually mind the open ones (embrace the nudity!) as there were never any queues. Wasn't overly happy that they were a 15 minute walk though! Queues for food and drink were way too long and there weren't any where near as many vegan options as expected. I only had one cocktail in Friday, so not sure about the main bars. The whole site seemed very busy, especially over the weekend. I really dislike the feel of being herded around and the advertising, but I expected those two things and it was an acceptable annoyance for one year just in case this was the only chance at a festival. 

Music wise, the obvious point about sorely missing non UK and Ireland based acts. There were some fantastic sets though, which were mainly played to sparse crowds, although I'd have personally liked a bit more post-punk and psych on the bill. Will follow up later about favourite sets, but Wet Leg and Joe Armon-Jones were top 1% all time for me. 

• Upvote 1

I got back yesterday evening. A combination of not enough to see for my taste on Sunday and having to work today, that decision was made before I arrived. But what a fun weekend. 

I was initially pleasantly surprised with the lack of weirdness or anxiety in myself or anyone else, as soon as we arrived and pitched up, we immediately slotted into festival-mode, like we'd never been away. No queues to get in upon arrival early afternoon on Thursday and despite concerns over the perceived smaller area for regular campers, plenty of space in which to pitch up comfortably.

The weather was nigh-on perfect, the very light thundery showers actually added to the atmosphere during the Chemical Brothers! 

It was all very well organised, which is a fantastic achievement, given the timescales and ongoing situation. Sure, there were a few queues for bars and toilets on occasions (we have to figure out a way to improve this situation for women, their queues are always 10x longer than the mens, for obvious reasons). Food options were varied and the Street Feast seated area is a great idea. 

Music-wise, everyone I saw was great with an obvious appreciation for being able to perform again. I was excited by up-and-coming acts like Lynks (so good I caught the secret set in the woods) and Vlure. The Snuts and Dream Wife are going to be huge, nobody is making music like Squid at the moment, Hot Chip were as good as ever, Rudamental were great fun, the perfect festival act but my absolute highlight was the Chemical Brothers. I've seen them many times since 1996 and twice recently, including Glastonbury in 2019 and on tour in Cardiff. Those last two occasions, as great as they were, it felt slightly "samey". Saturday night though, they were truly spectacular, possibly the best I've seen them. The perfect flow of big beat and their brand of anthemic techno/electronica, in a euphoric, friendly atmosphere. 

My only slight criticism is the alcohol price. £6-£6.50 for a pint is expensive but expected, I guess. This will be the situation going forward for most festivals so we'll have to budget accordingly, particularly for arena-style festivals where you can't take in your own booze. 

It's a strange demographic at Latitude. A mix of GCSE/A-Level teens, families and regular punters. Wreck heads are few and far between, probably due to a lack of super late night activity. I did notice some slightly worse for wear kids, which I suppose is understandable to a certain extent but most worryingly, their friends don't seem to know they've got to take care of each other. I do worry for the younger generation in that sense. 

Anyway, to summarise, it was pretty much the perfect way to ease back into festival life after a barren two years. Thanks to the organisers, staff and volunteers who created a safe and fun environment in difficult and ever-changing circumstances. 

I hope everyone on here had a great time, looking forward to reading about your experiences.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Currently on the train back into London.

I suppose the first thing to say is that there were times in the last year and a half that I thought that festivals wouldn’t survive this, so just to have been at one for a long weekend is a win.

Music wise, without wishing to parrot, the Chems bottled what we’ve all been missing all this time in a 90 minute set. Wolf Alice really stepped up to the plate and I’d be shocked if that’s the last time they top the bill. Squid were superb, loved Anna Meredith, atmosphere at the Vaccines was superb…. lots of highlights. 

Thought the food provision was pretty good, and got to say the queues didn’t bother me. Pleasantly surprised by the toilets, though there could definitely be more of them for peak times.

My one bugbear was the beer. £6.50 for watery Carlsberg, and only one on site serving anything remotely drinkable. Barely drank anything last 2 days. Was my first one, so wasn’t au fait with the smuggling protocols (it would have, in hindsight, been very easy).

Maybe I’m getting a bit old, but I quite liked the vibe, there was definitely space if you needed it, which was good for easing yourself back in to it. Would go again if no Glastonbury/lineup was good/I wanted 2 festivals.

It did feel slightly surreal to be back, almost as if we’d gotten away with something that no-one else knew about. This was exemplified by the weather. Floods across the east of England and we had a bigger problem with dust. It was like our own glorious microcosm.

Anyway, hope the findings that come out of the test event are positive and firm up the chances of everything else going on this summer.

If they don’t, then I’m just grateful to have had those 3 days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grayfitz said:

Can I ask something about Wet Leg? How are they on the bill of a fairly big festival when they've got one released song? What was the rest of their set? 

They played a small tent, The Alcove. I was probably the only person there to have not heard 'the' song, but the entire set was wall to wall bangers. Loads more to come from them! 

Judging by the people in the room (Dan Carey [next Speedy Wunderground release, anyone?!] and half the South London music scene were near me), I'd say they're extremely well respected in the industry and promotional circles already. They've also been part of other bands, AFAIK. 

Edited by JHad

Went on the Friday, here's some thoughts. 

Great to be back at a festival but totally glad I only did one day. Captured everything I wanted to do and went to every area of the arena. Thought the BBC Sounds tent was incredible, best moments were Dream Wife and Squid with Lucia and the Best Boys not far behind.

Felt BBC Sounds attendees were having fun, actual pits compared to main stage where I thought the younger people (I mean I am only 20) were a bit yobbish - throwing things onstage (Joff of Wolf Alice had to dodge something), shoving after a song ended to get further infront and the general vibe of the Obelisk I didnt like compared to Sounds. I mean during Declan McKenna (who I was watching while eating) you could tell the post GCSEs were out in full force.

Wolf Alice were incredible though and I can definitely see them pushing for the top spot at Glastonbury in the future and maybe even RandL this year if Queens of the Stone Age have to pull out. Great mix of tunes and as someone else said that run of Squid and Wolf Alice was one of the best I have seen.

Loved the comedy stage while waiting for a musical act - Jessica Fostekew was a great act I caught that I had never heard of.

Would I go back? Maybe a day again, wouldn't do the full weekend but only if there is an act I really want to see like Wolf Alice, with an undercard like Squid and Dream Wife, 5hrs of train travel to Bolton was very draining but after two years it had to be done.

Pint prices were ridiculous but after so long I made up for lost time. After seeing Fontaines at the Roadmender followed by that day of music - its great to be back.

EDIT: Oh and totally jealous of those seeing Chems.

Edited by RarerThanDandyB

6 minutes ago, JHad said:

They played a small tent, The Alcove. I was probably the only person there to have not heard 'the' song, but the entire set was wall to wall bangers. Loads more to come from them! 

Judging by the people in the room (Dan Carey [next Speedy Wunderground release, anyone?!] and half the South London music scene were near me), I'd say they're extremely well respected in the industry and promotional circles already. They've also been part of other bands, AFAIK. 

Got ya! Sound like they're ones to keep an eye on then!

I only went on Saturday - took my 7y/o to his first festival so played it safe (he loved it so will definitely go for the full weekend next time). I found the overriding feelings from everyone onsite were just really happy to be back - I'm sure there are a lot of people (me included) that didn't think we'd get here this year. I didn't encounter any issues at all (maybe because I just did the day and didn't camp) - but I found everyone to be respectful of peoples space, where possible people moved so my boy could see the stage better and there was generally just a really good atmosphere around the place. 

I found getting in really easy, had wondered how long it would take with all the extra checks that needed to be done but if anything it was easier and better organised than any other festival I've been to. I think we were queuing and through and into the arena in around 30 mins which was superb. Excellent choice of food, didn't find the queues particularly long or inconvenient. Fortunately I like Somersby so drinks weren't an issue! I found the site really easy to navigate, managed to catch someone on every stage - loved the Sunrise area, although trying to navigate past the thousands watching Damon Albarn was tiresome - no idea why he wasn't put in the empty BBC Sounds tent? He was always going to draw a huge crowd, especially with Arlo Parks not playing. 

Musically saw some fantastic performances, Supergrass, Sports Team and Chems particular highlights. I think the acts and crowd really fed off each other - we've all been waiting so long for this that every act I saw put everything into their performance and the crowd responded. It just felt so good to be part of a festival crowd again. Bring on the next one! 

Soul healed, body broken. No idea how I used to do a full season of these weekends.

Saw an awful lot over the weekend - one of the benefits of it being a compact site (unless you’re heading back to the campsite, what a mission). Hot Chip, Chems and Sons of Kemet for my headliners, all incredible. Accidentally saw Rick Astley doing a full covers set in the Trailer Park at midnight on Saturday, which was suitably bizarre but thoroughly enjoyable! 

Latitude did well to pull that off and manage to order the weather to behave too! Usual gripes - food queues did get ridiculous, main bar ‘selection’ appalling. So many teenagers that at times it felt like I was crashing a GCSE results party. Nothing that could take the shine off being at an actual real life festival again. 

Not sure Latitude is ever going to be in my regular rotation of festivals but it was everything I needed. 

• Like 1

I'll read everyone's reviews & write my own when I get home but for now:

That was truly a beautiful experience, I could cry at how absolutely amazing it was!

Pinnacle Sat night - bloody hell Chems blew it out of the frickin park!!! 😮😮😮 followed by 3D 😁

Hope you'll all be back next year 💜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean1234321 said:

I liked The Alcove. 

Saw Weird Milk and Liz Lawrence in there yesterday, both got great reactions - felt more like small gigs than festival sets. 

Agreed. My other favourite set, Joe Armon-Jones was also in there. Wish I'd spent a bit more time in there in hindsight!