Black Lives Matter

jyoung

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know he's a twat and all, but isn't he...being supportive with this one?  I don't think the blackout was massively successful, but it seems like he wasn't being a complete and utter arse with that hashtag?

I have heard that the blackout was some psyop developed by altright people on 4chan haha

But I mean what did it achieve really? Also there was an issue of all the blackout people using the #blacklivesmatter tag which was making it harder for people to find important information 

I'd just like to see celebrities and businesses doing more than changing their profile pic.

It's like during pride month when lots of businesses use rainbow colours to "show their support" but I think... Do they really give a shit, or are they just trying to piggyback off a movement to get more sales?

Edited by Gilgamesh69

10 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I have heard that the blackout was some psyop developed by altright people on 4chan haha

But I mean what did it achieve really? Also there was an issue of all the blackout people using the #blacklivesmatter tag which was making it harder for people to find important information 

It's generally unhelpful, I agree, but at least he's not ranting about muslims.  I mean Damon Albarn did the blackout thing yesterday and he's certainly not from the right.

30 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

The Rolling Stones also tweeted that and they wrote the violently racist Brown Sugar and won't acknowledge a black guy as a proper member of the band despite him playing with them for 25 years.

Nobody wetting themselves over that I see.

I wasn’t even aware of this

54 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

The Rolling Stones also tweeted that and they wrote the violently racist Brown Sugar and won't acknowledge a black guy as a proper member of the band despite him playing with them for 25 years.

Do you mean Bernard Fowler?

I was looking this up and it seems they have a longer serving touring member, Chuck Leavell, who is white so I'm not sure your second point is valid.

As I say, I've only looked it up so may have got things wrong.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

the blackout was designed by 2 black execs at a record label (think it was Atlantic?) and the aim was that they promised not to relase any new music/post on social media etc. promoting their buisness and instead focus on sharing information and helping in their local community. Sadly it seems most of the message was lost at some point along the way and instead it just became post a black square and then if that wasnt bad enough there was then a huge amount of anti-blackout tuesday stuff clogging up the feed too...

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know he's a twat and all, but isn't he...being supportive with this one?  I don't think the blackout was massively successful, but it seems like he wasn't being a complete and utter arse with that hashtag?

It's just ridiculous for a racist like him to post something like that..  

1 hour ago, SalviaPlath said:

Why wold anyone be wetting themselves over that? 

4 hours ago, SalviaPlath said:

I don't know enough about the Rolling Stones (not a band that I've ever really connected with beyond a few hits) but I think we have to accept that attitudes can change a lot over time.

As part of proving that all people are racist to some extent I shared with some people how when I was younger I had a blanket attitude that I hated rap. I used to say it had a silent C. I bought into a media view that it was an aggressive, sexist, homophobic genre and really never even tried to connect with it. That attitude meant I automatically undervalued a black art form. If you had said I was racist I'd have said no way. One of my favourite albums of all time is Tracey Chapman (an album which sadly 33 years after it was released is still so relevant). I love Aretha, Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone etc I just didn't like rap. BUT I now think I was racist to dismiss a whole genre out of hand. I never gave it a chance and as I have gotten older I have made some conscious decisions to support and listen to art from people with very different life experiences to me. My favourite album of last year was Psychodrama by Dave. He is a genuinely brilliant lyricist and I have been moved to tears by his lyrics. I am discovering artists I never gave a chance like Public Enemy. 

I guess what I'm saying is people are capable of growth. We probably shouldn't judge someone too harshly on something they did nearly 50 years ago unless they continually do it. 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

It's like when that Italian cruise ship captain crashed the ship while trying to wave to his friend on an island and fled on the first life boat, and in court  claimed he hadn't abandoned ship, but had actually accidentally fallen into the life boat!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jan/18/costa-concordia-captain-tripped-lifeboat

The cruise liner captain accused of abandoning ship after he struck rocks off the Tuscan coast last Friday has reportedly claimed he was unable to lead the evacuation because he slipped and tripped into a lifeboat while helping passengers leave the stricken vessel.

During a three-hour hearing on Tuesday, captain Francesco Schettino said it was an accident that he left the Costa Concordia, according to La Repubblica.

"The passengers were pouring on to the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault," the newspaper quoted him as telling a judge during a hearing to determine whether he should be held in custody on charges of manslaughter and abandoning ship.

"I didn't even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60-70° angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That's how I found myself in the lifeboat," said Schettino.

😂

Edited by Mr.Tease

Nine days after George Floyd's murder at the hands of a violent police officer, the President of the United States tweets 'get tough police!'... 

I read a story about an unarmed black man who owns a well-known local BBQ place being shot and killed by police officers during the protests a couple of days ago. Surely it isn't going to be long until, unfortunately, fire starts coming from both sides? 

Am I alone in seeing all of this leading to another Civil War in the US?

Just now, Andre91 said:

Nine days after George Floyd's murder at the hands of a violent police officer, the President of the United States tweets 'get tough police!'... 

I read a story about an unarmed black man who owns a well-known local BBQ place being shot and killed by police officers during the protests a couple of days ago. Surely it isn't going to be long until, unfortunately, fire starts coming from both sides? 

There are a multitude of huge problems in the US now all converging at once- huge, huge unemployment, horrific economic downturn, COVID-19 and huge death rates, upcoming second wave surge, lack of health care provision (due to the mass unemployment), and now this. Then to top it off you have the worst possible person in charge to handle all this. Very volatile and unpredictable situation.

I don't think it will lead to another civil war, but it will trash the US's remaining 'moral authority' (was in reality blatant hypocrisy) when complaining about treatment of protests abroad- can they really say anything vs China if it clamps down on Hong Kong protesters? Dangerous stuff.

Think the closest you'll get to civil war will be if it looks like Trump might lose the presidency by a small margin- likely he'll push the 'they're trying to fix the result' line (which he started to use last election)- what do those armed twit fan club members of his do then (he courted them a few weeks ago when they were protesting vs the lockdown).

15 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think it already has, I read this morning that a police officer had been killed.