Black Lives Matter

jyoung

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Some 29 properties cared for by the National Trust have links to successful compensation claims as a result of the abolition of slavery, such as Glastonbury Tor in Somerset.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54244434

Waiting for the queue of efesters rushing up the Tor to pull St Michaels down.............. 

11 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I don't quite follow your point here. You post something pointing out the unsurprising fact that lots of old British stuff has links to slavery and seem to say this shows up eFestivals' hypocrisy. Someone points out the difference between opposing the glorification of slavers(statues) and history with a connection to slavery so you trawl up the blog of some lone nutter.

How does that relate to your original point or am I missing something?

Just now, mcshed said:

I don't quite follow your point here. You post something pointing out the unsurprising fact that lots of old British stuff has links to slavery and seem to say this shows up eFestivals' hypocrisy. Someone points out the difference between opposing the glorification of slavers(statues) and history with a connection to slavery so you trawl up the blog of some lone nutter.

How does that relate to your original point or am I missing something?

I think (although I may be wrong) that CF said about the Tor with a reference to hypocrisy, but recognises it as a bad example.

But the lone nutter then highlights that there will be people who take that "extreme" approach to all things remotely connected with slavery, in response to the recognition that the original point was called out.

Think you're just missing the flow of it there tbh. Made sense to me!

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think (although I may be wrong) that CF said about the Tor with a reference to hypocrisy, but recognises it as a bad example.

But the lone nutter then highlights that there will be people who take that "extreme" approach to all things remotely connected with slavery, in response to the recognition that the original point was called out.

Think you're just missing the flow of it there tbh. Made sense to me!

Maybe I'm missing the point that's always possible but I would only say "bad example" if I thought my point still stood but I'd choosen poorly to illustrate it. 

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Sounds like a rude euphemism

Stuff like that will always remind me of a colleague some years ago who, when asked what she'd done for her birthday at the weekend, quite innocently told us that her boyfriend had taken her up the Shard.  Bless her.

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Stuff like that will always remind me of a colleague some years ago who, when asked what she'd done for her birthday at the weekend, quite innocently told us that her boyfriend had taken her up the Shard.  Bless her.

My wife's mom is a bit like that. Apparently she once declared to my wife and my wife's brother during a conversation that 'The toilets at Solihull Shopping Centre are quite nice on the whole'! Now, there's a number of odd things about this woman. These are (A) That she said nothing at all when both my wife and her brother (both in their 50's) both burst out laughing in a Finbarr Saunders manner the moment that she came out with the afore mentioned toilet line. (B) That she could possibly think that anybody at all would be interested in what the toilets at Solihull Shopping Centre are like. I mean, she knew full well that her offspring weren't suffering from urinary or bowel incontinence, that they didn't live anywhere near Birmingham, let alone Solihull, so were unlikely to ever go there. 

Guess what? I haven't finished talking about my mother in law, that's what - hence the new paragraph. I just needed to add that she is also, without any shadow of a doubt, the most boring person that I have ever met in my life. When I first started to visit my mother in law with my wife I used to pretend to be asleep on the sofa, and would leave my wife and her mom talking away. It was a pure self preservation move type of thing. I would try to daydream and not listen to the banal bollocks that was being emitted by my mother in law. Sometimes it worked, and at others, not so much. I found out later that my approach was the same one adopted by my wife's sister's husband. 

The problem I've got is I'm beginning to wonder if my wife's mom actually knows that she's boring me to distraction. Both my wife and her brother (and the other siblings) all know that she can be very Machiavellian. She plays (or tries to) each sibling off against the other, using a distortion of the truth which is known as lying. She will claim to several of her children that X,Y or Z child did this or said that to her, when it simply didn't take place. Her children all know this because they communicate well with each other. And it's not Alzheimer's either as she's been acting this way all their lives. 

I fear that she may be a sadist, and a good one at that!