Black Lives Matter

jyoung

Think tomorrow will be the first day I haven't been on this website in probably about a year (yes I have a problem...)

I always find it really difficult to talk about these kind of issues without feeling like I'm either pandering or ignorant, and honestly its hard to find words to describe how I feel about some of the events from the past couple of days anyway... I dunno words are hard, racism is bullshit, not sure what much else I can add

Think this is one of the best, most succinct descriptions of racism I have seen. People need to stop with the platitiudes some of the football clubs tributes have actually stuck in my throat a little because when they have had actual racist incidents in their clubs they have protected their assets rather than stand up to racism. 

BLM1.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Think tomorrow will be the first day I haven't been on this website in probably about a year (yes I have a problem...)

I always find it really difficult to talk about these kind of issues without feeling like I'm either pandering or ignorant, and honestly its hard to find words to describe how I feel about some of the events from the past couple of days anyway... I dunno words are hard, racism is bullshit, not sure what much else I can add

This might help

The problem with cops in the states isn’t just racism, it’s a power thing. They kill more white people than black, although the proportion of black people per capita is higher. The issue is they seem to be on a power trip, you must respect their authority or else. There is a them and us culture, you are either a cop or you are the enemy, irrespective of skin colour.  Their training also seems to be defective.

trump can’t help but enflame the situation with his moronic and dangerous tweets.

that said there’s no excuse for rioting and looting, doesn’t help the cause at all.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Makes me laff all the people that defend cops. Why don't they become firefighters instead if they want to help people? That's a lot more valuable to society

You really are a prick aren’t you? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smeble said:

The problem with cops in the states isn’t just racism, it’s a power thing. They kill more white people than black, although the proportion of black people per capita is higher. The issue is they seem to be on a power trip, you must respect their authority or else. There is a them and us culture, you are either a cop or you are the enemy, irrespective of skin colour.  Their training also seems to be defective.

trump can’t help but enflame the situation with his moronic and dangerous tweets.

that said there’s no excuse for rioting and looting, doesn’t help the cause at all.

Extends to anyone with a uniform and a badge I've found. I've been to the US a few times, and the last visit over Christmas last year it felt even more noticeable. It felt like we were constantly being shouted at for standing in the wrong place, queueing in the wrong way, going through the wrong door etc. We felt so on edge every time we passed a cop/security guard. 

There's absolutely deep rooted, systemic racism in the American police force and that's the biggest issue by a mile, but you're right there's also a power trip element.

53 minutes ago, jparx said:

The changing of one president won't solve this, but getting Trump out is at least a step in the right direction. It's looking good. Biden has record leads in the polls for a challenger.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/31/politics/biden-maintains-strong-position/index.html

Pity the election isn't for another 5 months. Coronavirus could be gone by then and the economy could be recovering. 

Trump only started campaigning last night with his little Bible. Lots of time to go yet. 

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Pity the election isn't for another 5 months. Coronavirus could be gone by then and the economy could be recovering

Trump only started campaigning last night with his little Bible. Lots of time to go yet. 

If that is the case I'll start believing in miracles. I think more likely he'll try to cancel the election because of the "dangers of the virus". He's already attacking postal voting now

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Not all bad. I quite like Avon and Somerset’s finest.

692E4B3E-087B-4F40-9078-71CBC993C46E.jpeg

It's worth noting that Avon and Somerset police are 7 times more likely to stop a black person then a white person. http://www.stop-watch.org/your-area/area/avon-somerset

Not saying that they don't do a great job at Glastonbury, but that shouldn't stop us holding them accountable and ask that they do better. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Pity the election isn't for another 5 months. Coronavirus could be gone by then and the economy could be recovering. 

Yep. I'm worried that the protests will work in trump's favour. :(

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

Yep. I'm worried that the protests will work in trump's favour. :(

100% - watch him on twitter. He's trying to appeal to middle america, the old grandmas, who are watching things go up in flames on the tv and getting afraid.

I absolutely despise the guy but he knows how to play the game very well. He knows exactly what his supporter base wants to see and hear.