Black Lives Matter

jyoung

10 hours ago, Smeble said:

Wrong forum for facts, this place never lets facts get in the way of a bit of self righteousness. I’ll probably end up with more downvotes than you for saying this but black people were selling other black people into slavery long before the white man got involved. Hell they were selling white people into slavery as well.

Literally the same as me killing someone and then standing up in court and saying "people were killing each other long before I got involved"...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

my local has a footie team called the cowgirls. Are the about to be had-up for cultural appropriation...? :P 

Kaiser Chiefs apparently mulling a change due to the South Africa connection/appropriation..

11 hours ago, Smeble said:

Wrong forum for facts, this place never lets facts get in the way of a bit of self righteousness. I’ll probably end up with more downvotes than you for saying this but black people were selling other black people into slavery long before the white man got involved. Hell they were selling white people into slavery as well.

The Romans come to mind 

Just now, Homer said:

The football team are actually mulling over a change due to the connotations with bog standard shout pub landfill indie 

"We as a club can no longer in good conscience remain associated with an institution that relies so heavily on yelling to get their point across"

(sorry @squirrelarmy :D)

41 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

The Romans come to mind 

Come on dude, I gave you a starting point for why cases are a bit different when I replied to your original post (and was very clear that yep, slavery's old as time).  If you're going to pick up on that part of the thread again (and I know it's in response to Smeble) let's at least move the conversation forward eh? ;)

2 hours ago, Copperface said:

Kaiser Chiefs apparently mulling a change due to the South Africa connection/appropriation..

Had to google news on this. Didn’t see any but I did see plans for them touring in the UK next summer. Glasto 2021 confirmed. 

whose joining me 😁

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Had to google news on this. Didn’t see any but I did see plans for them touring in the UK next summer. Glasto 2021 confirmed. 

whose joining me 😁

You know what annoys me most about KC, and it's not their fault?  Of the stuff that's been released and made any kind of impact, the rarest song to hear on the Radio is Modern Way. Which is also the best song on that first album.

The second thing that annoys me most is People Know How To Love One Another, because that one's utter dogshite  :P

37 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

whose joining me 😁

Pretty sure I'm washing my hair that day, sorry

On 7/13/2020 at 10:54 PM, Smeble said:

Still not understanding the relevance/point of this.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Still not understanding the relevance/point of this.

The post or the argument?

Argument is pretty standard "why am I in trouble, everyone else was doing it" approach. Comes up a lot, but makes use of a simple factual statement without then actually looking at it in any nuance or detail. 

5 hours ago, Quark said:

The post or the argument?

Argument is pretty standard "why am I in trouble, everyone else was doing it" approach. Comes up a lot, but makes use of a simple factual statement without then actually looking at it in any nuance or detail. 

I don't get the point of saying "well black people had slaves too" - don't think anyone was honestly arguing that the horrors of the British slave trade would have been fine of it was being led by black British people. I just find it a weird, random point to make. It's like having a thread about a vile paedophile and someone posting "ancient Greeks were doing it all the time!" 

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

I don't get the point of saying "well black people had slaves too" - don't think anyone was honestly arguing that the horrors of the British slave trade would have been fine of it was being lead by black British people. I just find it a weird, random point to make. It's like having a thread about a vile paedophile and someone posting "ancient Greeks were doing it all the time!" 

Pretty much, yeah. Takes the conversation away from context and into a simple binary point.

My theory is that it's a defensive response. People take what's going on as a personal attack on them instead of the system that we happen to be a part of, so the instant reaction is to defend yourself. There's no defence in denying it or saying it wasn't that bad, so the obvious alternative is that everyone else was doing it.

The other one is that people make the case and genuinely believe it to be a valid comparison. Interestingly if you delve into it a bit and have the conversation about why it's different, I've found people have tended to say that they hadn't thought of it in that way, and it gives them something to take away and think about. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Look this is all very interesting and I’m learning a lot but the festival is now fast approaching and it’s time to start planning the fudge run. I’ll soon be starting a new thread and I’ll thank Mr Capitalist Forum Owner to not close it down and call it ‘drivel’ again. 
This summer I have given away 3.5kg of fudge to key workers (including at imposing staff, LOL) and it’s time to level up!

thanks 

What a strange post, what festival is fast approaching.

nice one on giving fudge to key workers

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2020 at 5:50 PM, zahidf said:

Ha!

Some 29 properties cared for by the National Trust have links to successful compensation claims as a result of the abolition of slavery, such as Glastonbury Tor in Somerset.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54244434

Waiting for the queue of efesters rushing up the Tor to pull St Michaels down.............. 

15 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Some 29 properties cared for by the National Trust have links to successful compensation claims as a result of the abolition of slavery, such as Glastonbury Tor in Somerset.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54244434

Waiting for the queue of efesters rushing up the Tor to pull St Michaels down.............. 

Are you deliberately misunderstanding the difference between a statue and a building?